testtest

It’s Going To Be A Great Autumn Season

Very nice setup!! I'm trying to talk the husband into one, but he says he would rather rent one when we need one. I guess maybe once we both retire he will break down, as he will want to drag something around with his Duramax..
Renting a camper is a great option to see if camping is something you really want to do however that being said renting a (travel trailer) camper is easier than renting a (5th wheel) camper because not all trucks are setup with a 5th wheel hitch kit. I was lucky my
Super Duty, “purchased off the lot of a local dealership” had the kit and upgraded suspension package installed.
I started out with a small travel trailer that is pulled by using the frame mounted hitch and always felt I was dragging it down the road which is a common feeling due to how the camper is attached to the very end of the truck.
A 5th wheel camper is attached to a hitch directly over the rear axle allowing for greater driving comfort and tow ability including better maneuverability.

As a follow up I pick up my 5th wheel on 9/27 as I’m having some options installed however I’ve opted to install the hitch in the bed of my truck myself so that I have a better understanding of how it works, I’m very comfortable in doing this and doing it right and safely as I’m very mechanically proficient.
Where I’m frustrated is I was told I needed to get a part that the dealership did not have to install the hitch however when I asked the service guy what hitch is being used and looked up the exact install instructions for that hitch I found out that part is not used in the install 😡
I ordered the part through Amazon and received it yesterday and I know it can be returned for a full refund I find it hard to understand why I was instructed to buy something that wasn’t needed. 🤔
Oh well I should be picking up the hitch today or tomorrow and install will be done on Saturday. Yee ha!!!

Picked up my new camper today 🎉🎉
IMG_4702.jpeg

So much easier to tow and handles great, turning was much easier than I expected and it tracked great.
Texas here we come.

Another follow up…….

I’ve decided to install two (2) 100 watt solar panels on the roof of the camper that will trickle charge the camper batteries, I originally planned for the dealership to do the install but at $170 an hour labor charge I politely told them I’d do it myself. Since the camper is wired already for solar it’s basically plug and play except for attaching the panels and making sure there are no leaks.
I’m a firm believer in generator power when needed so I’m going with a DuroMax unit,
IMG_4722.jpeg

Which will give me a 50amp receptacle for the camper as well as a 30amp receptacle and 2 20amp outlets.
I’ll install a basket in the hitch on the camper for just the generator.
The final upgrade will be on the truck, I’ve decided to install suspension air bags to help level/raise the rear of the truck during towing as I found out quickly having the camper attached took to much weight off the front end and made the steering feel to lite.

Back