testtest

Just my observation

SimonRL, I have to disagree with your assessment. I put a lot of career criminals in jail who were committing terrible crimes, multiple homicides. You don't want these people among you. Just look what is going on from removing the bail system. Serious repeat offenders to include homicide. How much money is worth the life of a victim. Paying for custody institutions is a necessary part of public safety. I know several family members who wished the assailant was kept in custody, but instead killed their loved one.
I didn’t say people shouldn’t be in prison, all I am saying is that jail time does not dissuade criminals from breaking the law. As you know, our penitentiaries are overflowing, but crime rates aren’t going down.

When I see all the things going on in states like Illinois. And the changes to the law coming Jan 1. I feel it will be a long road, if ever to turn this around. The border patrol turned away hundreds of illegals recently with pepper rounds. Now the aclu or some organization is going after the border patrol. This is insane as Biden tell us his son died in Iraq and received the bronze star for valor. All I want is for someone in authority to say "do what you gotta do " Although I know that will never happen in my lifetime. Do what you gotta do.Is exactly where were at. Re visiting a mind set that was set aside so long ago.Is not an easy thing.

When I see all the things going on in states like Illinois. And the changes to the law coming Jan 1. I feel it will be a long road, if ever to turn this around. The border patrol turned away hundreds of illegals recently with pepper rounds. Now the aclu or some organization is going after the border patrol. This is insane as Biden tell us his son died in Iraq and received the bronze star for valor. All I want is for someone in authority to say "do what you gotta do " Although I know that will never happen in my lifetime. Do what you gotta do.Is exactly where were at. Re visiting a mind set that was set aside so long ago.Is not an easy thing.
Yes Sir, I understand how you feel I really do. I have to try and remain hopeful that things improve and I’m counting on the American people to have been awakened and send an enormous rebuke. Stay in it brother I know it’s difficult and I have been doing a lot of praying for this country. I stand with you in these matters.

I didn’t say people shouldn’t be in prison, all I am saying is that jail time does not dissuade criminals from breaking the law. As you know, our penitentiaries are overflowing, but crime rates aren’t going down.
I think a broader view might be better served for some "crimes" in this discussion. Auto theft in WI has sky-rocketed in my state since the DA in charge (Milwaukee County) intentionally decided not to prosecute auto theft. Prior to penalties not being handed down, auto theft was typical in Milwaukee to other cities of similar size. Now we lead the nation (per-capita). The thieves openly admit that they do it because they won't be arrested, charged or penalized in any way, if they ever get caught. 12 & 13 year-olds are now stealing cars with abandon. They have actually become semi-famous on youtube as the "Kia-Boys".

Murder, OTOH, probably falls more closely into your intended position regarding penalty as a deterrent....not so much. But every crime is different...

So does jail-time act as a deterrent? Sometimes yes, sometimes no....nothing is ever black and white...but in the case of auto-theft, it clearly does deter crime (in my locale).

And our prisons have been above capacity for many, many years...the data is available online quite easily. So that means we either need more jails or a different "effective" method of rehabilitation....which has yet to be discovered.

All of the above rambling doesn't even touch upon a crook, not in jail as he/she should be, out and free to commit crime, as in Darryl Brooks. He should have been incarcerated (in 3 states), but was out on intentionally-low bail. He never should have been ABLE to kill 7 people and injure 63 more last Christmas. He should have been locked up. This concept is not the deterrence to crime as ya'll were discussing, but it is a relevant issue, none-the-less.

This is because they are treated to all the amenities and 3 squares a day. They get more in prison than the poorest in our nation. Prison needs to be feared again. Chain gangs need to be brought back. As a matter of fact, I would also take also take the juvenile offenders and put them to work out in the fields. Back breaking, hot, hard manual labor just may change a lot of them to being productive members of society and keep them out of the life of crime. Prisoners should NEVER have more than the poorest in our society. Period. Exercise yards? Gyms? Weight rooms? No. Working the fields, road construction, any hard manual labor job out there should be their "workout". Why would they fear prison when they live better than you and I?

This is because they are treated to all the amenities and 3 squares a day. They get more in prison than the poorest in our nation. Prison needs to be feared again. Chain gangs need to be brought back. As a matter of fact, I would also take also take the juvenile offenders and put them to work out in the fields. Back breaking, hot, hard manual labor just may change a lot of them to being productive members of society and keep them out of the life of crime. Prisoners should NEVER have more than the poorest in our society. Period. Exercise yards? Gyms? Weight rooms? No. Working the fields, road construction, any hard manual labor job out there should be their "workout". Why would they fear prison when they live better than you and I?
AS how it should be!

Prior to 2020 crime rates had in fact been going down. Particularly violent crime rates. Of course it depends on where you are. St. Louis as opposed to say, Attica, Kansas.

I do believe for certain crimes there are better punishments than prison. Actually for all crimes there are probably better punishments than prison. Unjustified homicide = electric chair. Rape = castration. Stealing = cut off your dominant hand. Think that would lower crime rates ?

Back