testtest

Lead Poisoning

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
Part one of a elevated lead level and lead poisoning article. Depending how often you’re around lead particles it could be important to be tested. This is especially true for professionals like competitive shooters, armorers, gunsmiths, even shooting instructors. Also important is to remember about our K9 friends who also need to be protected. I have seen too many police dogs walking on contaminated gun ranges for them to only later lick their paws.

Mine was elevated from my first retirement job of working in an indoor range. I asked my Dr to include a lead test when I have my yearly labs (she acted like she had never heard of that effecting lead)

It came back at a 14 I’m now down to 4 but I also have taken a different job. A friend also works at the same store but as a salesman and the Dr in her own included a lead test on him and his was over 14 as well. He never asked her and asked me about it because I recommended everyone at the store get tested.

It’s no joke why I don’t really hang out in indoor ranges just so a little shooting and split in cold months!

We had an indoor range at my PD. We sent our instructors for blood tests on regular intervals, when the lead levels reached a certain point we pulled them off the range for 90 days or so. Ventilation systems are much better now but you still have to monitor lead levels.

Luckily, as an adult you can only get sick. But if you're covered in lead dust, or your reliading room is, it is likely that you're transferring lead to your children. With their developing brains it'll cause permanent damage and lowered cognitive abilities.

Also, wear a HEPA mask when melting lead.

A good friend of mine ran a lead bullet business for many years. Excellent bullets. I've bought and used thousands of them over the years.
Several years ago the lead levels in his body reached a point where he had no choice but to just give it up and shut the business down. :(

i posted about my blood lead levels in another thread, maybe my own, all i will say here is, i have my blood lead level checked 2 times a years at the very least.

also i should point out, as a reloader of lead bullets, i wear latex gloves as well.

as i have been making the switch over to coated bullets, i might continue to wear them.

Back