testtest

Let the waiting begin!

ddeuce22

Professional
Finally broke down and shelled out the cash. Bought my first suppressor.
After much consideration I decided to get one for the AR. I'll deal with a .30 cal one later on down the road.

Ended up getting a Griffin Armament Recce 5 Mod 4. Read an overwhelming amount of good reviews and information on it.
Will be going on my M400 Tread.

Has anyone recently purchased one and experienced an absurdly long wait time? I've read as soon as a month and some waiting 10 months. Just trying to gauge current climate as best as I can.

Super excited for this.

After much consideration I decided to get one for the AR. I'll deal with a .30 cal one later on down the road.

Ended up getting a Griffin Armament Recce 5 Mod 4. Read an overwhelming amount of good reviews and information on it.

Has anyone recently purchased one and experienced an absurdly long wait time? I've read as soon as a month and some waiting 10 months. Just trying to gauge current climate as best as I can.

Super excited for this.

Congratulations and welcome to the fun world of suppression!

7-8 months has been the average for most of this year for a form 4 transfer according to my LGS and personal experience but there really is no definitive timeline to when you'll be approved so sit back relax and forget about your new toy until the day you get the call to pickup your shiney new tax stamp.

With a 5.56 suppressor shooting supersonic ammo it will not be hearing safe but there will be a definite reduction in sound signature especially shooting outdoors. If you choose to run subsonic 5.56 ammo in a semi automatic you will need to manually cycle the action between each shot.

Last edited:

Super excited for this.
Depends on how it was filed, trust will be a year +/-, standard method a few months.

You can find some good reference info on the different transfer wait times with this link.

I dont know, its been my experience (several different occasions) and asking different dealers they came to the same conclusion.
You buy a pre made from SilencerShop, Sig, Etc, …

I’ll make my own and already be playing with 5 or 6 suppressors by the time you get your first…

-File Form 1 ATF request.
-Get approved by ATF
-Buy Parts legally with ATF approval
-Make your own suppressor AFTER approved by ATF
-1 month soup to nuts

I have so many $200 ATF tax stamps, I’m loosing count.

I build $200 into every rifle budget for ATF tax stamps

Trust = NFA item can legally be transferred upon your death

Individual: you die, govt gets your NFA item.

Trust has to do ownership, not who manufacturers it
You can actually leave your NFA items to any person in a will but they will need to complete a form 5 transfer for a free tax stamp with each NFA item.

Definitely a bitch of a process compared to a trust but the government doesn't take away the NFA items if filed correctly.

You can actually leave your NFA items to any person in a will but they will need to complete a form 5 transfer for a free tax stamp with each NFA item.

Definitely a bitch of a process compared to a trust but the government doesn't take away the NFA items if filed correctly.
Agreed
Trust is easier, BUT has ZERO to do with wait times whether Form 4 or Form 1 from original question.

Agreed
Trust is easier, BUT has ZERO to do with wait times whether Form 4 or Form 1 from original question.
So do have yours in a trust? As I said, its been my experience. Most of my purchases usually take less than 30m for a "proceed". Asking several dealers I have always heard "for some reason trusts take longer".
My .02

Agreed
I will most likely go the trust route on my next suppressor purchase to simplify use and possession of the NFA item with family members. I can't speak about trust versus individual wait times as I've only filed individual on previous purchases.

So do have yours in a trust? As I said, its been my experience. Most of my purchases usually take less than 30m for a "proceed". Asking several dealers I have always heard "for some reason trusts take longer".
My .02
When I inquired about a trust my LGS said that trust transfers have taken a bit longer to get back but I'm not sure if they were referring to the initial starting of the trust and purchase or purchases going to a previously established trust.

One thing I do know is that the NFA waiting game sucks and the whole system should be overhauled to make the wait times more transparent to the legal purchaser.

My .02
In regards to a Form 1 or Form 4, a Trust doesnt factor one way or another for approval.

When I inquired about a trust my LGS said that trust transfers have taken a bit longer to get back but I'm not sure if they were referring to the initial starting of the trust and purchase or purchases going to a previously established trust.

One thing I do know is that the NFA waiting game sucks and the whole system should be overhauled to make the wait times more transparent to the legal purchaser.
NFA wait game.

Form 4 is mailed to the ATF via old fashioned way.

Form 1 is electronic filing .

Why ATF still has Form 4 as a snail mail is a head scratcher

Back