testtest

Lip reading or ESP ?

Bassbob

Emissary
My wife was talking to me at the dinner table last night when a thing occurred to me. Being deaf can't be as bad as everyone thinks it is. I can think of a lot of upsides to it. For one, you wouldn't need hearing protection at the range. Or a blast can on your AR pistol with the 2" barrel. No more ear worms. Obviously you would need a way to figure out what people are saying occasionally. So which way is better, reading lips or learning ESP ?

I have partial hearing loss and I gotta tell you, it sucks. My wife gets frustrated constantly having to repeat herself, same with my coworkers. This past year of face masks didn't help one bit. Not being able to see expressions or how folks are moving their lips added to the difficulty. I'm the guy you have to speak to directly, otherwise i don't hear.
I used to think,"if it would all be gone, maybe it'd be better." Yeah, no. I miss hearing my wife's soft voice, i miss the faint background tracks in Pink Floyd songs. I miss hearing the wind. That and this incessant ring which takes the place of what i miss. It sucks, wear your plugs and muffs, protect what you have. When it's gone, it's gone for good.

I have partial hearing loss and I gotta tell you, it sucks. My wife gets frustrated constantly having to repeat herself, same with my coworkers. This past year of face masks didn't help one bit. Not being able to see expressions or how folks are moving their lips added to the difficulty. I'm the guy you have to speak to directly, otherwise i don't hear.
I used to think,"if it would all be gone, maybe it'd be better." Yeah, no. I miss hearing my wife's soft voice, i miss the faint background tracks in Pink Floyd songs. I miss hearing the wind. That and this incessant ring which takes the place of what i miss. It sucks, wear your plugs and muffs, protect what you have. When it's gone, it's gone for good.
This thread is tongue and cheek brother. I have some hearing damage and faint, constant sound of summertime insects humming in my head ( tinnitus) from 4 decades of standing in front of giant bass amplifiers. I still hear fairly well, but there is some hearing loss. I need cheaters to read comfortably these days too. Comes with age I suppose.

I've had hearing Loss most of my life and always thought of it as a super power until it got so bad that I couldn't hear my children from ten feet away. I bought hearing aids that work great and if I need to call on my super powers I just turn them off

My people don't understand how, being hard of hearing doesn't mean i need it louder. I just need you to look at me so i can focus on what you are saying. The louder something is just makes it harder to discern from background noise. It seems only people who are effected by hearing loss understand

I have the tinnitus as well. NEVER a silent moment. Sometimes my hearing is better than other times. I tend to have the TV kind of loud. But then, I’ll come in later and it sounds like it’s blasting when I could just hear it before. Definitely weird. And the way they film movies, most of the time I can’t understand a thing people are saying, no matter how loud it is. Pretty much a PITA.

Yes, yes i do.
I would definitely have to learn how to control it, but yeah, for the most part I would want to know what people were thinking. I would want the ability to shut them off at will though. Like after i realized that I don't give a crap what they are thinking about.

Voodoo would be cool to know too. Imagine having ESP and knowing voodoo.

I would definitely have to learn how to control it, but yeah, for the most part I would want to know what people were thinking. I would want the ability to shut them off at will though. Like after i realized that I don't give a crap what they are thinking about.

Voodoo would be cool to know too. Imagine having ESP and knowing voodoo.
Since we’re thinking big here what about voodoo, ESP and being close personal friends with Bigfoot.

My wife was talking to me at the dinner table last night when a thing occurred to me. Being deaf can't be as bad as everyone thinks it is. I can think of a lot of upsides to it. For one, you wouldn't need hearing protection at the range. Or a blast can on your AR pistol with the 2" barrel. No more ear worms. Obviously you would need a way to figure out what people are saying occasionally. So which way is better, reading lips or learning ESP ?
Lol, I used to think that too when my wife was "talking".

Years of concerts and shooting sans ear protection caused me to need hearing aids starting about 10 years ago. And do they suck. They are the type behind the ear because that was what my doctor recommended for my loss. Boy was wearing a mask the past year a pain. Dang near every time I took it off the hearing aides were ripped from my ears.

The only good thing is when I don't put them in I can ignore people when I feel like it and have a built in excuse. It comes in handy for social get together I am dragged to.

I also have this cool Bluetooth spy pen i can put somewhere and listen to what my blushing bride of 42 years is complaining about me.its almost lie esp lol

Last edited:
Back