testtest

M1A new purchase

A6103FBC-B4F8-48AF-819E-68EDFC7ED60E.jpeg

If you had bought a National Match I'd say give it a try but for a standard just make sure the stock fits properly.

Don;t shoot ammo that's not loaded to mil-specs in it.
When you refer to ammo loaded to MIL-SPEC, are there common loads sold on shelves in 7.62 NATO or .308 that are not? I bought a box of Winchester 7.62 Nato M80, and some boxes of Federal .308 Win, and some more of Norma .308 Win...all have close to identical casing lengths, but the bullet lengths make the overall cartridge length 4mm different (Nato M0 is 4mm longer than Norma .308, 2.5mm longer than Federal .308).

I just want to ensure everything is kosher....thanks Talyn...

When you refer to ammo loaded to MIL-SPEC, are there common loads sold on shelves in 7.62 NATO or .308 that are not? I bought a box of Winchester 7.62 Nato M80, and some boxes of Federal .308 Win, and some more of Norma .308 Win...all have close to identical casing lengths, but the bullet lengths make the overall cartridge length 4mm different (Nato M0 is 4mm longer than Norma .308, 2.5mm longer than Federal .308).

I just want to ensure everything is kosher....thanks Talyn...
If the box is labeled 7.62 NATO it should be loaded to those mil-specs, whereas if a box is labeled .308 then it should be loaded to commercial specs.

OAL can vary slighly due to the bullet shape, but SAMMI specifies the official OAL. In magazine fed rifles OAL limits can be the max length the magazine can accomodate.

As a general rule, avoid using hunting ammunition in your M1A. They tend to have powders and charge weights that are suitable for bolt actions, but can damage your operating rod.

US manufactured M80 is safe, but it usually has spherical powder, which burns dirty. It is intended for machine gun use. German, Austrian and British 7.62 NATO from the last century has a strong following in the M14 community, but is getting hard to find.

Your best choices are Federal Gold Medal Match or their 168gr OTM. Clean burning extruded powder and SMK bullets.

Back