testtest

M1A: Too Outdated for Self-Defense, or Best Bug-Out Gun Ever?

Another note on bug out guns, as it applies to taking folks with you. If your bug out plan includes more than just you, those accompanying you need to also be armed and they need to be armed with a weapon firing the same cartridge as yours. Preferably the same exact rifle. Why would you burden your group with two different rifle cartridges? Is the perceived benefit of two different cartridges truly worth the added weight? When one of your guns fails, and it will, remember worst case scenario, that either makes half of your ammunition useless or it doesn't, which would you prefer?

How do you go about choosing that weapon? It's simple, you use the gun the less experienced, less practiced shooter shoots the best. and most comfortably.

My girlfriend goes to the range once every few months with me. I go every week, often a couple times a week. The rifle she does best with is the one I'd be grabbing a pair of to go out the door. She likes shooting a Model 94 Trapper and the Ruger GSR, she does well with both, the Springfield is a bit big for her and she doesn't like the recoil. I can shoot my Springfield 1903 in a 3" group at 300 yards. That won't mean squat if she can't use it to hunt game or defend herself if something happens to me. (If you bug out with others you do have a plan for them when something happens to you right?)

Having guns of different calibers can be worth the extra weight/bulk.

Shooting a grouse/rabbit with a .22lr is more efficient than with a big game cartridge.

The other factor is..."Where are you bugging out to"?

Great rifle, for home defence if you have the need for more than close range shoots. Now at our stage of life we really have no plans on bugging out, and if we're forced to do so there is no way on foot, especially my wife with her back and knees. But, usually buggout plans include a foot travel option, and there are a lot better, read lighter, options for foot travel.

I would have to go with an AR, AR pistol, M1 carbine, something light along those lines, light is good when you are carrying everything you can take with you, especially stowed on your back. Heck a Kel Tec Cmr30 might be a great choice, light, small (great for stowing away), high capacity, great for small game, the ones I have seen ran seem to be extremely reliable.

Last edited:
I always find the topic of "Bug Out Guns" amusing to consider. The idea that the choice is between the M1A or the AR-15 is, to me, bizarre. Neither would be going with me. I'll be taking a bolt gun or lever gun.

Bugging out is an absolute worst case scenario. I find most people planning to bug out do not plan for actual worst case.

People have their bug out 4x4s, that's great for as far as your gas tank will get you. You won't be getting gas anywhere because there won't be power for the pumps. So your gear needs to all be portable by you and anyone coming with you. I have a bug out mountain bike. That limits your ammo load greatly.

You need your primary gun to be multipurpose. You need to be able to defend yourself with it and hunt with it and you need to be able to hump it everywhere. For that a bolt gun or lever gun is preferred. they are lighter and simply less prone to malfunction and simpler to maintain. As for caliber, 5.56 would absolutely not be my hunting round of choice. It's fine for varmints and some small predators, but once you start looking at bigger game it's just not up to it.

For hunting (and self defense) I'd want a .30-30, .308 or .30-06. All proven game killing rounds and also extremely common. They are standard stock in every gunshop and sporting goods store that sells ammunition. One round of any of those is worth three 5.556 rounds.

Also not all ammo is made for automatics. You won't have any choice when scrounging for ammunition, you'll take what you get and like it. Your auto rifle however might not like it. Your bolt gun or lever gun won't care what it is.

Self defense in a bug out situation is something you need to avoid at all costs, you have to act as a lone scout, you need to use stealth and avoid confrontation. You will not have the ammunition to get into a firefight and you won't have resupply or medics coming to patch you up.

So my bug out rifle of choice is either my 1903 Springfield, my Winchester Model 94 Trapper in .30-30 or my Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308.
Depends on WHERE you are bugging out to.

That changes everything for everyone.
Living in a city will be different bug out from the country.

Me, city bug out to country. Need firearm to take down big game when I arrive in country.
5.56 wont cut it.

If I have no way to bug out of city, then I shelter in place and go from there…

I think the biggest bug out scenario for most Americans is a natural disaster.
So a bug out will be self defense related and supplies to hold over till they can get back home to assess damage.

I'll take an AR-15 or AR-10 any day of the week over the M1A of any barrel length. They are lighter, higher capacity, dependability and maneuverability make them a far better platform for the task, which is exactly why the wooden war-horses were replaced by the M16 by the military in the first place.

Every mud and/or ice test I have ever seen comparing the various "military-grade" rifles, the M1A, and the like, are the fisrt to be knocked out of the test.

Example:

When it comes to survival scenarios, I won't be my life on carrying something because it has a nostalgic place in my heart.

I'll take an AR-15 or AR-10 any day of the week over the M1A of any barrel length. They are lighter, higher capacity, dependability and maneuverability make them a far better platform for the task, which is exactly why the wooden war-horses were replaced by the M16 by the military in the first place.

Every mud and/or ice test I have ever seen comparing the various "military-grade" rifles, the M1A, and the like, are the fisrt to be knocked out of the test.

Example:

When it comes to survival scenarios, I won't be my life on carrying something because it has a nostalgic place in my heart.
Guess your buying a Styer AUG then 😝😉

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “M1A: Too Outdated for Self-Defense, or Best Bug-Out Gun Ever?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/m1a-too-outdated-for-self-defense-or-best-bug-out-gun-ever/.

Thank you very for your support of the M14 platform that you’re paid to sell.

I have owned three M14 type guns in the past.

Late 1970’s I had a surplus Winchester made M-14 semiautomatic that I had to let go because it became against the law to own in California.

Then I had bought a brand new M1A Scout model and I didn’t care for it at all so I sold it off and bought a Ruger SR762.

Then about six years ago I got a brand new SoCom 16 and I never shot it not even once so I just sold it off a few weeks ago and bought a brand new Ruger SFAR308, super lightweight 308 AR10 type.

I own some M1 Garand’s two Tankers and one National Match type II Springfield Armory WWII guns, one Tanker and one standard Winchester’s and two Italian 1 Beretta and 1 Breta BM59/Eblock feed M1’s that I would take anyone of them or any AR10 type gun over any M14/M1A type.

So to me I just don’t prefer M1A’s but to each their own.

If you happen to watch Garand Thumbs videos that someone has already posted in this or InRangeTV’s mud tests you will see that M1A just don’t run after being exposed to mud or freezing conditions.
G-3’s/H&K91 types and AR10 types live through those tests of 308 type guns.

Take care and fix the problems that your having with your AR10 type rifles in your Sant Victor to make them work right and you to can sell a more dependable rifle if that’s the way that you want to advertise? Because your M1A is not all that dependable in snowy, muddy, freezing, rainy conditions because the action is wide open to debris and the weather elements.

Having guns of different calibers can be worth the extra weight/bulk.

Shooting a grouse/rabbit with a .22lr is more efficient than with a big game cartridge.

The other factor is..."Where are you bugging out to"?
For smaller game I would use my Ruger MkIII with a red dot. It's small enough to stow in a pack with little bulk or to carry in a chest holster. So I still don't see a need for a second rifle caliber.

For smaller game I would use my Ruger MkIII with a red dot. It's small enough to stow in a pack with little bulk or to carry in a chest holster. So I still don't see a need for a second rifle caliber.
If I had to Bug-Out I would have a .22lr pistol and likely a suppressed Buckmark, in addition to a primary long-gun.

As I indicated earlier there's a lot of variables in selecting a bug-out firearm, based on supportability, the operating area that a person would be hanging out in, and mobility factors.

Thank you very for your support of the M14 platform that you’re paid to sell.

I have owned three M14 type guns in the past.

Late 1970’s I had a surplus Winchester made M-14 semiautomatic that I had to let go because it became against the law to own in California.

Then I had bought a brand new M1A Scout model and I didn’t care for it at all so I sold it off and bought a Ruger SR762.

Then about six years ago I got a brand new SoCom 16 and I never shot it not even once so I just sold it off a few weeks ago and bought a brand new Ruger SFAR308, super lightweight 308 AR10 type.

I own some M1 Garand’s two Tankers and one National Match type II Springfield Armory WWII guns, one Tanker and one standard Winchester’s and two Italian 1 Beretta and 1 Breta BM59/Eblock feed M1’s that I would take anyone of them or any AR10 type gun over any M14/M1A type.

So to me I just don’t prefer M1A’s but to each their own.

If you happen to watch Garand Thumbs videos that someone has already posted in this or InRangeTV’s mud tests you will see that M1A just don’t run after being exposed to mud or freezing conditions.
G-3’s/H&K91 types and AR10 types live through those tests of 308 type guns.

Take care and fix the problems that your having with your AR10 type rifles in your Sant Victor to make them work right and you to can sell a more dependable rifle if that’s the way that you want to advertise? Because your M1A is not all that dependable in snowy, muddy, freezing, rainy conditions because the action is wide open to debris and the weather elements.

Yeah that's why the Navy Seals use them in cold mountainous areas of the world still, because they are so unreliable.

The debate of what's the best Bug Out Gun, an M14 or an AR15 is ongoing and will never be resolved. Two schools of thought, each having their Pros and Cons. People tend to forget that the roll out of the M14 had just as many issues as the roll out of the M16 (most of which were due to the Military's Ordinance Department screw ups). The issues with both were addressed and resolved for the most part, but the fact that there were issues in the first place has influenced opinions.

Personally, the underlying problem with one's Bug Out gear will be weight in my opinion. To me,, Bugging Out means getting the Hell out of Dodge as quickly as possible. It's not a leisurely stroll through the toolies, but a concerted effort to get to a more secure and defendable location as quickly and safely as possible, therefore, the weight of one's gear is a critical factor. Too much weight will slow your progress, and that could prove deadly very quickly. One will need a rifle and enough ammunition for planned needs and unanticipated problems, and 7.62 X 51 NATO is considerably heavier than 5.56 X 45 NATO, thus it stands to reason one can't carry as much of the former versus the latter. Same goes for the rifles themselves. The M14, even polymer stocked is still heavier than an AR. For individuals with smaller stature, lugging an M14 over hill and Dale will be burdensome.

Others will tout the virtues of the M14. In the end one must make an informed choice, and be honest with themselves about their capabilities and limitations. The answer of which gun is better for their Bug Out, depends upon one's honest analysis of one's strengths and handicaps.
Totally agree. I'm not a prepper or anything like that but I just bought a full length M1A, wood stock, and man, is it heavy!

I am definitely not qualified to say this guy is nuts (but I will say it anyway.) I'm not a gun nut owning hundreds of guns. But I know what I like. I was hoping to see this guy work the magazine action of the M1A but the video just showed him shooting it with the mag already installed. Having just bought an M1A, I am TRYING to learn how to properly load the magazine and it is not easy! It's taking me a lot of finagling so far. I imagine if I was in a rush and in a fight, I would want a magazine that simply slides in and locks without any maneuvering like in an AR15. Plus the AR15 is a much lighter gun. So no, if I have to bug out, I don't think I will be taking my M1A.

My 2 cents: the best self defense weapon for you is the one that you are proficient in. The one you trained with and the one you can trust your life on. If thats a .22 revolver or a 50 BMG.

Now we can always argue that some rifles are just objectively better for a "Bug out" moment. To me, a major key factor is something that was just lightly touched on so far. A "bug out" to me is a complete SHTF moment. You may never be able to go back home again crisis. You will need ammo, parts, cleaning materials etc to keep you going, and in the US at least, the 5.56 AR reigns. You will have an easier time finding ammo, parts, magazines, cleaning parts, etc for the AR platform than any other.

A "bug out" to me is a complete SHTF moment. You may never be able to go back home again crisis. You will need ammo, parts, cleaning materials etc to keep you going,
I agree and I think many folks do nottake "Bug out"scenarios this seriously.

d in the US at least, the 5.56 AR reigns. You will have an easier time finding ammo, parts, magazines, cleaning parts, etc for the AR platform than any other.
.308 is still the most common cartridge sold in the US today. The cartridge is also much more effective than the 5.56. You need three 5.56 rounds when one .308 will do the job. As evidenced in several AARs from the recent unpleasantness. Also in a true SHTF moment as you mention you're going to need a gun that isn't as high maintenance as the AR platform. A bolt action or lever action solves that.

Simple I carry the M1A the wife carries the AR. Bugging out involves survival as in living off the land as you can only carry so much food. An M1A will easily take down big game and an AR will **** it off 'nuff said.

I always find the topic of "Bug Out Guns" amusing to consider. The idea that the choice is between the M1A or the AR-15 is, to me, bizarre. Neither would be going with me. I'll be taking a bolt gun or lever gun.

Bugging out is an absolute worst case scenario. I find most people planning to bug out do not plan for actual worst case.

People have their bug out 4x4s, that's great for as far as your gas tank will get you. You won't be getting gas anywhere because there won't be power for the pumps. So your gear needs to all be portable by you and anyone coming with you. I have a bug out mountain bike. That limits your ammo load greatly.

You need your primary gun to be multipurpose. You need to be able to defend yourself with it and hunt with it and you need to be able to hump it everywhere. For that a bolt gun or lever gun is preferred. they are lighter and simply less prone to malfunction and simpler to maintain. As for caliber, 5.56 would absolutely not be my hunting round of choice. It's fine for varmints and some small predators, but once you start looking at bigger game it's just not up to it.

For hunting (and self defense) I'd want a .30-30, .308 or .30-06. All proven game killing rounds and also extremely common. They are standard stock in every gunshop and sporting goods store that sells ammunition. One round of any of those is worth three 5.556 rounds.

Also not all ammo is made for automatics. You won't have any choice when scrounging for ammunition, you'll take what you get and like it. Your auto rifle however might not like it. Your bolt gun or lever gun won't care what it is.

Self defense in a bug out situation is something you need to avoid at all costs, you have to act as a lone scout, you need to use stealth and avoid confrontation. You will not have the ammunition to get into a firefight and you won't have resupply or medics coming to patch you up.

So my bug out rifle of choice is either my 1903 Springfield, my Winchester Model 94 Trapper in .30-30 or my Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308.
Good points. In addition to the rifle would a sidearm be along for the ride too? If so, then what’s your choice?

Having owned and run M1A, as well as other .308 rifles in that class I've come to the conclusion they're best used as DMRs and in support of more capable bolt-guns.

Plus, the new Sig 6.8 in the new semi-auto, as well as the 6.5 CM simply outranges and outperforms the .308/7.62x51.

My .02

Back