testtest

M1A: Too Outdated for Self-Defense, or Best Bug-Out Gun Ever?

I've always thought that the best bug-out pair would be an AK-47 underfolder and a Remington 870 with no more than a 20" barrel. Especially if you are in an urban area. If you are out in a rural area with open space the M1A would work out well.

I've always thought that the best bug-out pair would be an AK-47 underfolder and a Remington 870 with no more than a 20" barrel. Especially if you are in an urban area. If you are out in a rural area with open space the M1A would work out well.

I think I might pick the TS-12 or even the KSG25 just for the capacity. And probably the 10.5" I built with piles of 30 rd. Pmags and a bag of parts with an extra BCG or two. Could fit the pistol and accompanying gear in a back pack and sling the shotgun. In any case for me a bug out gun is going to be a minimum of 2 bug out guns. More than likely 4 because I would have a couple sidearms on me as well.

Maybe I am thinking SHTF gun not bug out gun. :ROFLMAO:

I think I might pick the TS-12 or even the KSG25 just for the capacity. And probably the 10.5" I built with piles of 30 rd. Pmags and a bag of parts with an extra BCG or two. Could fit the pistol and accompanying gear in a back pack and sling the shotgun. In any case for me a bug out gun is going to be a minimum of 2 bug out guns. More than likely 4 because I would have a couple sidearms on me as well.

Maybe I am thinking SHTF gun not bug out gun. :ROFLMAO:
I agree, but either way I'm sure one would probably be moving and would have to travel light. I think the biggest concern would be how much ammo could you carry. Carrying several guns and several loaded ammo cans would be a challenge. If you ran out of ammo your guns would be useless, and I don't know if finding more would be possible since most stores would have been looted. Interesting to think about.

I agree, but either way I'm sure one would probably be moving and would have to travel light. I think the biggest concern would be how much ammo could you carry. Carrying several guns and several loaded ammo cans would be a challenge. If you ran out of ammo your guns would be useless, and I don't know if finding more would be possible since most stores would have been looted. Interesting to think about.
You would definitely have to conserve ammo, but I think loaded P mags would stack alright in a backpack and could be made to last barring a full on combat scenario. You could load up shotgun cards and carry them in an M4 chest rig, but even with that and a high cap shotgun you would probably want to stash some ammo cans somewhere.

I guess if I had like 5 minutes to pack and GTFO with no realistic expectation of returning for the rest, I would grab a couple pistols the same caliber, a handful of mags and an ammo can and then cram maybe 50 loaded Pmags in a back pack and sling a carbine and maybe the 10.5".

The hope would really be that I would be moving in a vehicle. That would expand my options.

Haven't really seen many folks talk about terrain they are escaping from and to. In my case, suburbs with a metro area of around 200k people.

Others are talking about engaging targets several hundred yards away, and while that's all well and good, your best bet is just disappearing. And if you really need to engage said target, find and setup an ambush location, though I think disappearing is a better bet.

Most engagements, according to FBI statistics, are 10 or 7 yards, I forget which. A PCC could be a viable option for cross platform compatibility such as an AR rifle fitted for Glock mags with a Glock side arm.

Most SHTF situations won't put you in a survival situation where you need to hunt. Protecting yourself from two legged predators and mother nature are more likely.

Just my two cents

My M1A is currently the only rifle I have so I would have to make that work.
My hope would be I could travel by my truck and get to Texas where my ladies family has a very large compound of about 80,000 acres, a 5k section with a decent cabin and water on the property is waiting for us. Unfortunately walking there is out of the question so we would have to shelter in place until traveling by a vehicle is available.
I do have a decent amount of ammunition for all my guns but I would definitely have to avoid a full on gunfight.

Last edited:
While I love the M1A and AR, bugging out for me is a non-issue. My life depends on pharmaceuticals needed multiple times every day. When SHTF, I'm a gonna no matter what happens. I'll shore up at home until the insulin runs out. Hell, I got a little nervous over the last 18 months with supply-chain issues potentially halting the delivery of insulin from China (nearly all insulin (93+%) comes from China). I'll continue to live vicariously through all your posts! :)

Maybe I need to hang a mini-gun in the front and back rooms of the house like Ben Affleck in The Accountant!

I’m taking my Nylon 66.

Yes, .22LR.

I can carry a LOT more ammo for the weight, it’ll be a lot more useful in survival, and, as @fordag pointed out earlier…the idea is to avoid gunfights.
That will do it. I was thinking a Ruger 10/22 with a folding stock might be darn near perfect for a back pack bugout carry.not a complete take down because you never know when you see a squirrel dinner while on the hoof. Or a deer for that matter, tons of deer been taken with a .22. Would also serve to repel borders if surprised. As you mentioned, the idea is to avoid conflict and to break away with family if it occurs.

Last edited:
Haven't really seen many folks talk about terrain they are escaping from and to. In my case, suburbs with a metro area of around 200k people.

Others are talking about engaging targets several hundred yards away, and while that's all well and good, your best bet is just disappearing. And if you really need to engage said target, find and setup an ambush location, though I think disappearing is a better bet.

Most engagements, according to FBI statistics, are 10 or 7 yards, I forget which. A PCC could be a viable option for cross platform compatibility such as an AR rifle fitted for Glock mags with a Glock side arm.

Most SHTF situations won't put you in a survival situation where you need to hunt. Protecting yourself from two legged predators and mother nature are more likely.

Just my two cents
If you are urban I suppose. A bug out situation for me will absolutely involve disappearing into the woods and hunting for food.

It’s time dependent. If I have 2 hours I can be moving with a truck and a 16’ trailer and have most everything I would need to survive for a good long while.

My M1A is currently the only rifle I have so I would have to make that work.
My hope would be I could travel by my truck and get to Texas where my ladies family has a very large compound of about 80,000 acres, a 5k section with a decent cabin and water on the property is waiting for us. Unfortunately walking there is out of the question so we would have to shelter in place until traveling by a vehicle is available.
I do have a decent amount of ammunition for all my guns but I would definitely have to avoid a full on gunfight.
80k acres? mind if i tag along? hahahahaha.

i think my bug out guns would be my ruger american rimfire .22 bolt action. easy to take care of, not many moving parts and ammo is light and i have bunch of it. that is one my most accurate 22's and we'd have no shortage of squirrel and rabbit to eat. sidearm would be my m&p9. i shoot that most accurately out of all my defense handguns. if we had the room i'd throw in my maverick 88.

It’s time dependent. If I have 2 hours I can be moving with a truck and a 16’ trailer and have most everything I would need to survive for a good long while.
I’m working on getting this setup for not only general travel (vacations) but eventually living out of. “Off the grid”
AB5D0378-FD8C-4F3C-A54F-7638E26987A0.jpeg

I love both, the AR15 and the M1A. Come to think of it, I love most rifles.

I agree on the thoughts that you have concerning weight, which was part of the reason the services went from the M14 to the M16. Lighter weight rifle, greater maneuverability, easier to control, and the ability of the average soldier/marine to carry more rounds.

Another win for the AR15 platform in that you can change the cartridge by changing the upper assembly. If you are wanting a heavier caliber but still want to maintain the lighter weight of the AR15 you can swap the top for a 7.62x39 or 300 Blackout. You will not gain much in weight, still have the lower recoil, and have a larger caliber to put bigger holes where needed. Add to that, the fact that you can swap out parts very easily and make the rifle even lighter than it already is.

Chambered in the .223 Rem/5.56 NATO cartridge, I would hesitate to take big game, but change that to a heavier caliber cartridge and game on!

On 2 legged predators, most any cartridge will work but, again, I would prefer a larger caliber.
I have a Fulton Arms AR15 that has been optimized for accuracy. Superb rifle! And changing out the upper as you said would certainly give you a weapon which would take down large game. I have a Beowulf .50 upper . . .

Perfect size for what I want too
Back in early 2020 while I worked for Ford at the Kentucky Truck Plant I was close to pulling the trigger on a full size duel rear wheel F450 Lariat.
The pandemic halted those plans.
My truck being a single rear wheel short bed still offers great options so I’m still looking.

Back