testtest

M1A1 Bolt failure,Blew apart

I can’t speak for how Springfield Armory test’s it’s firearms, however for 20 years I worked for two firearms manufacturers and both of them tested their actions with hot loads. There is no doubt this was a catastrophe failure of this particular M1A and my guess is that Springfield Armory will do an in depth investigation into why this gun failed. My guess is they have engineers on the payroll for just this purpose. It will take time and honestly they may or may not ever report on the outcome of that investigation. Based on my history This particular gun will never see the light of day as a working firearm as the liability is to great to (repair) it and put it back in service. After the investigation it will most likely be destroyed and based on my and everyone else’s experience with the outstanding customer service Springfield Armory is known for be replaced.

I can’t speak for how Springfield Armory test’s it’s firearms, however for 20 years I worked for two firearms manufacturers and both of them tested their actions with hot loads. There is no doubt this was a catastrophe failure of this particular M1A and my guess is that Springfield Armory will do an in depth investigation into why this gun failed. My guess is they have engineers on the payroll for just this purpose. It will take time and honestly they may or may not ever report on the outcome of that investigation. Based on my history This particular gun will never see the light of day as a working firearm as the liability is to great to (repair) it and put it back in service. After the investigation it will most likely be destroyed and based on my and everyone else’s experience with the outstanding customer service Springfield Armory is known for be replaced.
i wonder "IF" something is found that was to be a defect, (maybe with-in a limited serial numbering of production) would there then be a recall on all of these sold..??

seems it would be prudent to do so.???

which is yet another reason why everyone should register thier purchases with the individual factories for any recall notices.

i personally "fail" to see rhyme or reason for anyone shelling out big dollars (even for a low priced Highpoint) for a firearm, and NOT register the purchase.

on another site i am on, a few "guys" argue the point of buying any type of firearm, and thinking that registering it for the warranty, is tantamount to the factory handing that information over to the Feds.

on another site i am on, a few "guys" argue the point of buying any type of firearm, and thinking that registering it for the warranty, is tantamount to the factory handing that information over to the Feds.
They have a point. I do register mine with the manufacturer for warranty, but I'm under no illusion that information won't be handed over to the feds on demand. The thing is if the feds want that information they can get it anyway.

Its the 5.56mm vs .223 all over again. If you have a 5.56 chamber you can shoot both, the Wyle chamber is designed for both, but if you have a .223 chamber, you can only shoot .223. IIRC, that the NATO case has a few dimension changes that are so tiny, there should be no problem feeding and extracting, its possible that if you had the shortest head spaced .223 chamber at the end of the tolerances and the longest 5.56mm case at the end of the tolerances, you may run out of headspace, and the bolt might not go into battery, but that would be very rare, most chambers are cut to have a little extra space than the end of the tolerance. The problem is pressures and its not because one is loaded a lot hotter than the other (the spec pressures are different because they are measured differently between SAMMI and NATO, the actual pressure are pretty close to the same). The problem is the bullet set back and the length of the throat in the chamber, the .223 chamber with a 5.56 in it, as the bullet hits the end of the throat because of the differences in lengths, causes a pressure spike higher than the .223 chamber is rated. But, at the same time, the pressure spike is still within the safety margins required for the chamber, that is why so many people get away with it, even though you're not suppose to use 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

Just looking it, since I don't have a 7.62 Rifle yet. Seems the same is true between .308 and 7.62, except .308 does have more pressure and its not supported properly in the 7.62 chamber to handle the pressure. So, its the opposite of 5.56/.223, you want the .308 chamber to be able to use both .308 and 7.62. And the chances are less likely you'll get away with it, if you use .308 in a 7.62 chamber, unless its a modern 7.62 chamber cut for both.

Springfield Armory came thru on my replacement M1A1, They replacement with my spare mags and a new carrying case in all.
I was well pleased with it and the warranty. I will always be a Springfield customer.
Outstanding great news, enjoy your new gun and give us a range report soon.

Out of curiosity did they give you any information on what happened to your original gun?

From the Fall 2022 GCA Journal.

An Update on using 7.62mm NATO and .308 Win Ammunition - 4 pages

Attachments

• An Update on using 7.62mm NATO and .308 Win Ammunition_pg.1_GCA Journal Fall 2022.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • An Update on using 7.62mm NATO and .308 Win Ammunition_pg.2_GCA Journal Fall 2022.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • An Update on using 7.62mm NATO and .308 Win Ammunition_pg.3_GCA Journal Fall 2022.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • An Update on using 7.62mm NATO and .308 Win Ammunition_pg.4_GCA Journal Fall 2022.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
Back