testtest

Magazine Springs - 9mm 1911

Scevaph

Elite
OK; I got a lot of good info from the Recoil spring post so I thought I would ask about magazine springs.

9mm 1911 magazines, I have all 9 round magazines; stock Springfield and Wilson 920 (same as CMC) flush. I figure I'll need to replace springs down the road. one of the Wilson's first as it was given to me used and the spring feels weaker than the new one or the SA's.

I had a new but out of spec SA magazine they replaced and said to keep for parts and put it's spring into the Weaker Wilson mag; it feels like the others now but I have not teste fired it.

Questions:

If a magazine is trouble free ( other than a failure to lock back when using very mild ammo) should it continue to work as well with nothing but a spring change?

Which Magazine spring for a 1911 9mm 9 round magazine; I like Wolff so the standard 7#, the 7.5# or the 8#. I have a few 7.5 pound springs in my kit

Wilson only has springs for their 10 round magazines and I have a feeling that many suppliers are using Wolff as their supplier but that may not be a fact.

I know that many of you change your magazines regularly as a precaution so I thought I would ask you.

Thank You

I think you're worrying over nothing. I've got mags that are 20-30 years old and still work fine. I've never replaced a mag spring. On very rare occasions I've had feed lips wear/bend or base plates come loose, but never a spring problem.
If a mag becomes unreliable, just trash it and get a new one.

I think you're worrying over nothing. I've got mags that are 20-30 years old and still work fine. I've never replaced a mag spring. On very rare occasions I've had feed lips wear/bend or base plates come loose, but never a spring problem.
Yea, agree, very seldom do magazine springs need replacing

OK; I got a lot of good info from the Recoil spring post so I thought I would ask about magazine springs.

9mm 1911 magazines, I have all 9 round magazines; stock Springfield and Wilson 920 (same as CMC) flush. I figure I'll need to replace springs down the road. one of the Wilson's first as it was given to me used and the spring feels weaker than the new one or the SA's.

I had a new but out of spec SA magazine they replaced and said to keep for parts and put it's spring into the Weaker Wilson mag; it feels like the others now but I have not teste fired it.

Questions:

If a magazine is trouble free ( other than a failure to lock back when using very mild ammo) should it continue to work as well with nothing but a spring change?

Which Magazine spring for a 1911 9mm 9 round magazine; I like Wolff so the standard 7#, the 7.5# or the 8#. I have a few 7.5 pound springs in my kit

Wilson only has springs for their 10 round magazines and I have a feeling that many suppliers are using Wolff as their supplier but that may not be a fact.

I know that many of you change your magazines regularly as a precaution so I thought I would ask you.

Thank You
been just over 3 years for me, i have yet to change a magazine spring.

been same amount of time, and i have never changed a recoil spring.

been 3 years, and i ain't changed my under wear....

get it..??

no need to change anything if it's working...when it breaks, that's when i'll change......something or another.

I had weak springs in Wilson's and replaced them with new ones from Brownells.

I mainly stick with Chip McCormick mags vs. Wilson even though Wilson owns CMC.

I had weak springs in Wilson's and replaced them with new ones from Brownells.

I mainly stick with Chip McCormick mags vs. Wilson even though Wilson owns CMC.

The Wilson's I have are the flush base which are the same as the Chip McCormick flush base mags. Only difference are one says Wilson Combat (Item 920-9FS9) and the other says Chip McCormick Custom (Item M-MG-9FS9)

I believe Wilson did this to have a flush base magazine for those wo want them.

Only magazine springs I've ever changed were in some very old AR magazines I got, and then I just changed out the springs (and added MAGPUL followers) just to be safe.
I have a few 80+ year old 1911 magazines that still function 100% with their original springs.
As for 9mm 1911 magazines, I use the two that came with my Stingray, but generally my go-to magazines are Tripp Research Cobra magazines, no issues with them so far....

I agree. The magazines I’ve seen having issues have damaged/funky feed lips OR were el cheapo aftermarket. Quality magazines just work. To date I’ve not had an issue with a spring-ever. I’ve got mags way more than 30 years old that work as good as ever.

Back