testtest

Manufacturing defects

The common denominator in manufacturing anything is that humans are involved and humans make mistakes. Whether you’re machining something with a Bridgeport or using a multiple tool CNC it’s humans that are setting up the tool in the Bridgeport or writing the program code for the CNC
I’ve done both and yes made mistakes, over time all/most failures become successful it’s like everything in life just keep moving forward and learn from mistakes.

I read / watch all the reviews of the new SA 35 and internet comments.
I have to think about all the “wants” a person buys as well as extra dollars spent.

Lets face it. A pistol for most is a “want”. Lots of choices out there.

Lets digress to Automobiles.
Tons of choices.
The type car is a “want”.
Everyone could have a generic ride, yet we choose different options and some quite luxurious.

Like a pistol, it can kill , wound, injure if defective.

Yet folks buy auto’s all the time that have severe defects. Recalls are a norm. Folks shrug it off or sell. Then get a recall on another auto maker they own.

If sub standard performance was constant, folks wouldn't want the item. Yet we buy cars and pistols.

Teething in any manufactured product happens. It is how you resolve them.

Ferrari, Porsche, Boeing, Springfield. All get issues. Their mechanical
It happens.

It is not a constant for the SA 35, so give it a rest. It will sort out. SA 35 will work out in the end and so will Springfield Armory on their care for it
Yeah, but….and to use your auto analogy…

In this case, what you’re getting is a reproduction of a ‘35 Ford. In the 85+ years it has been around, the bugs really should have been worked out—there should be no “new problems”.

So, yeah, it’s a bit disheartening that these have issues.

Making a "35" Ford is not a good analogy, because if you decide to make one from "scratch" you'll likely run into problems.

FN/Browning worked the bugs out and made mods over time based on the different "Marks". They were the experts of the orginal.

But, when some org wanted to make BHPs they either copied "exactly" what FN did, or made them via a "License" where they got all the details from FN.

When an org decides to "re-engineer" something, and make changes they didn't have the learning curve that FN & FN licensees did. So good things can happen, and mistakes can happen.

The Turkish company "Tisas" released their "iteration" a couple years ago and there were problems (that BHSS discovered) and are supposed to release an "improved" version in this next year (we'll see). And now another Turkish company "Girsan" has announced the release of their version, the MCP35 (looks like a Mk. III) so we'll see how that pans out (BHSS will likely get theit hands on one to evaluate also).

As BHSS said the BHP design is a hard one to get right and make it work because of it's idiosyncracies.

Last edited:
So far, the extractor seems to be a possible issue. This is a small part that can be easily corrected, either through Springfield or parts suppliers. Issues do appear in the industry, so the important thing is how they are handled. I know a maker who has a warranty that may take months and several returns to correct an item or replace the gun.
I bought a carburetor once that had a lifetime warranty. I replaced it 5 times and had to pay to get it dialed in each time. I wouldn't get overly excited about something that isn't readily available in the pipeline, especially if you're not planning on buying one. YMMV

Back