testtest

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II - Proof a Brick Can Fly?

Stupid title.

There are plenty of other aircraft that qualify as a flying brick.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

1997_F-4_Heritage_Flight_over_Florida-edit_1.jpg

The Guppy.

“NASA was trying to figure out a way of moving objects that were very light but very large – in other words, rocket components – from one side of the USA to the other,” says aviation historian Graham M. Simons.

“They needed something that had a really large fuselage in diameter, so they could ship the parts from where they were building them, mainly California, to where they were using them, mainly Florida.”

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/super-guppy-transporter-airplane/index.html

Super-Guppy-aircraft.jpg

I worked the flight line many times up north during operational exercises, and the American F4s would fly in...rumble the ground and drop their drag chutes for me. They would howl on approach, much like our CF-104, and leave the telltale smoke trail. Thank you guys for posting the pics and videos. This gal's heart is happy after a long day. Yes, bricks can fly..❤️

I worked the flight line many times up north during operational exercises, and the American F4s would fly in...rumble the ground and drop their drag chutes for me. They would howl on approach, much like our CF-104, and leave the telltale smoke trail. Thank you guys for posting the pics and videos. This gal's heart is happy after a long day. Yes, bricks can fly..❤️
Stevie_Nicks_-_Bella_Donna.png

Living a few miles away from Holloman AFB I was there to watch the last flights of the F-4. I hated to see a piece of history go away. They brought a lot of memories both good and bad to me. Many great people worked on them. The friends and friendship i got while working on them endures to this day except we are starting to go to the big flight line in the sky.

There are some really good interviews and discussions from Cunningham on his Mig kills. One incident, they got into the vertical in “scissors” rolls trying to get the advantage going canopy to canopy .

Another great F4 jock was Robin Olds. He has similar feats with Migs

There are some really good interviews and discussions from Cunningham on his Mig kills. One incident, they got into the vertical in “scissors” rolls trying to get the advantage going canopy to canopy .

Another great F4 jock was Robin Olds. He has similar feats with Migs

As recognized by the American Fighter Aces Association, Olds was the only pilot to "make ace" in both the P-38 (5 victories) and the P-51 (8 victories). He finished with a total of 16 confirmed kills (12 in World War II and four in Vietnam)

Last edited:

As recognized by the American Fighter Aces Association, Olds was the only pilot to "make ace" in both the P-38 (5 victories) and the P-51 (8 victories). He finished with a total of 16 confirmed kills (12 in World War II and four in Vietnam)
That must have been something to see technology go from propeller to jet and fly combat in both…

I visited the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio a few years back and they have Robin Olds', Scat XVII, F-4C on display, as well as a specific display about Robin Olds.

1691363389104.png

140424-F-IO108-021.JPG

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of working beside several females in the aircraft maintenance field. It was a crying shame that some folks figured them all as cooks. I'd love to 'hands on' another 104 before my demise -- what a great machine.

Back