testtest

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II - Proof a Brick Can Fly?

As one of the old guys who flew the F-4 back in the '70's, I must say I disagree with the tone of the discussion. This a/c was designed about 10 yrs after WWII. It was supersonic, had pretty good range and carried a bunch. It was the Western a/c to which all other fighters were compared, both East and West. In its day, it got the job done. Is its day past? You bet.

A pilot/co-pilot that flew with my dad (King Air 200, Learjet 24 & 55) was a pilot in Vietnam that flew F4's. After retiring he trained pilots in Germany (Germans). Not sure on the loadout, but it did have drop tanks on at the time filled. On a run the pilot-to-be released the drop tanks................yup, they exploded. Not sure which wing he was with or time in country?

As one of the old guys who flew the F-4 back in the '70's, I must say I disagree with the tone of the discussion. This a/c was designed about 10 yrs after WWII. It was supersonic, had pretty good range and carried a bunch. It was the Western a/c to which all other fighters were compared, both East and West. In its day, it got the job done. Is its day past? You bet.
Which part of the tone do you disagree? All I've read in this thread have been pleased with the Phantom. Ok, is its day past? Yes, but so are all the aircraft designed at that time. Has the P-51, SR-71, T-37 past its "day"? Yes -- but (and this may be hard for an old guy who flew the F-4 to understand) will it stop us lovers of the past? Not no, but hell no.

Drive safe -- its us DEDICATED Crew Chiefs that got your butt back to home plate.

Which part of the tone do you disagree? All I've read in this thread have been pleased with the Phantom. Ok, is its day past? Yes, but so are all the aircraft designed at that time. Has the P-51, SR-71, T-37 past its "day"? Yes -- but (and this may be hard for an old guy who flew the F-4 to understand) will it stop us lovers of the past? Not no, but hell no.

Drive safe -- its us DEDICATED Crew Chiefs that got your butt back to home plate.
What is the newer trainer? I've seen the T-37's and they are tiny hotrods!

The T-7 is an even more Hot-Rod. (y)

1705963151392.png

1705962997824.png

Actually, Cessna did a darn good job with them. Only problem I had was if the Gassious Oxygen fill valve leaked, it was a pain in the pootah to get to the back side of it. Panel (dzus) on belly, up and forward and lower a fabric screen just to assist with the change.

The Guppy.
1706046120290.png

At the Pima Air and Space Museum. I don't know if it's still there but it is a awesome place to visit.

“NASA was trying to figure out a way of moving objects that were very light but very large – in other words, rocket components – from one side of the USA to the other,” says aviation historian Graham M. Simons.

“They needed something that had a really large fuselage in diameter, so they could ship the parts from where they were building them, mainly California, to where they were using them, mainly Florida.”

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/super-guppy-transporter-airplane/index.html

Super-Guppy-aircraft.jpg

As recognized by the American Fighter Aces Association, Olds was the only pilot to "make ace" in both the P-38 (5 victories) and the P-51 (8 victories). He finished with a total of 16 confirmed kills (12 in World War II and four in Vietnam)

I would have enjoyed meeting this guy and have read about him before. Wikipedia goes into his career and service:

"Olds was promoted to brigadier general after returning from Vietnam but did not hold another major command. The remainder of his career was spent in non-operational positions, as Commandant of Cadets at the United States Air Force Academy and as an official in the Air Force Inspector General's Office. His inability to rise higher as a general officer is attributed to both his maverick views and his penchant for drinking.[3]

Olds had a highly publicized career and life, including marriage to Hollywood actress Ella Raines. As a young man he was also recognized for his athletic prowess in both high school and college, being named an All-American as a lineman in college football."

Fly fast warplanes and marry lovely starlets! Truly a larger than life dude! One of the guys that I've shot IDPA with in COS was an F4 pilot. A true gentleman and he also shot John Moses Browning's greatest invention.

Back