testtest

Mil Spec has no tension on grip safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Mil Spec Defender

Took it totally apart tp put in a new Wilson Combat sear spring. Go to put it back together like I have done with 1911's before. After MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS TO ASSEMBLE THE GUN, like as in dozens upon dozens I still...as in I have been working on this for over a month now just to get the pistol back together and in service. Not to mention I have marred it all to heck...

Have no tension in the grip safety

Hammer won't stay cocked back

Looking for what might be the problem...cause the next step..I will be throwing this 700 dollar pistol in the trash and never purchasing another product from Springfield ever again.

Sorry to be so honest...but I have a weird feeling this pistol was a bad purchace...

This shouldnt happen

:unsure: Did it work when you brought it home from the dealer ? Did it work when you started to take it apart ? If the answer to those two questions is yes , I have to assume it isn't the fault of the gun manufacturer but the person who is working on the firearm.

Also if you can't get it back together , why would you throw it in the trash instead of taking it to a gun smith to get it working

It worked fine prior...simply put a Wilson Combat Sear Spring in it...that is all I did.

First time it has ever been apart. I own 2 other 1911's and never had a problem. And yes, I did find multiple issues with the gun in manufacturing tolerances. Take a micrometer to one of these Mil Specs. The tolerances are sloppy at best. You cant even fit a basic Vietnam era Colt mainspring housing in one. The Colt is tight. In fact wont fit. And don't try and buy a aftermarket barrel bushing. They dont even begin to come close to fitting in the Mil Specs slide.

Dont understand why you’d put Chevy parts into a Ford and not see how it wouldnt run just fine . A 1911 is not a 1911 and not all parts are cross compatible. Just the way it is. Ask a gunsmith before you go off the handle. I own many 1911’s and my SA Mil Spec runs flawless after 3000+ rounds and many takedowns ..

Took it totally apart tp put in a new Wilson Combat sear spring. Go to put it back together like I have done with 1911's before. After MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS TO ASSEMBLE THE GUN, like as in dozens upon dozens I still...as in I have been working on this for over a month now just to get the pistol back together and in service. Not to mention I have marred it all to heck...

Looking for what might be the problem...cause the next step..I will be throwing this 700 dollar pistol in the trash and never purchasing another product from Springfield ever again.

Sorry to be so honest...but I have a weird feeling this pistol was a bad purchace...

This shouldnt happen

Did you put the original spring back in, and if you did did it work properly again?

Just stating what I have found. Took mine to my buddys factory who manufactures parts here in Detroit for Detroit Diesel. We micrometered the whole pistol. I should add I did changed out the trigger to a metal one. The stock one was plastic. Plastic...plastic

I m just saying what my issue is. My Auto Ordnance 1911A1 you can totally disassemble and put back together no problems...

I am just trying to figure out whats wrong that's all. Just extremely disappointed I have a 700 dollar firearm with less than 200 rounds through it that now is non functional after one disassembly. I mean a grip safety with no tension and a hammer that wont stay cocked back...?

Something is wrong here...welp maybe it will get fixed next month on attempt 784955...

I will figure it out. Thanks for the help

It worked fine prior...simply put a Wilson Combat Sear Spring in it...that is all I did.

First time it has ever been apart. I own 2 other 1911's and never had a problem. And yes, I did find multiple issues with the gun in manufacturing tolerances. Take a micrometer to one of these Mil Specs. The tolerances are sloppy at best. You cant even fit a basic Vietnam era Colt mainspring housing in one. The Colt is tight. In fact wont fit. And don't try and buy a aftermarket barrel bushing. They dont even begin to come close to fitting in the Mil Specs slide.
I think I'd just take a couple deep breaths, relax, and then start over from the beginning and taking no shortcuts in the assembly. If the gun worked fine before the disassembly, and the fact you've done the 1911 before, it should go right back just like it was. Maybe even try reassembly with the original spring just to see if that's the issue.

When you say the "grip safety has no tension", that says there's a tension spring not right somewhere in there since that's what creates the tension you're not seeing.

"Hammer won't stay cocked back" sounds like a failing sear. Did you opt to modify it in any way ..... maybe a little 'smoothing' or 'shortening'? Or maybe a tad too much neg sear angle? Check that and compare the original to the replacement. Since I don't do a lot of anything concerning 'mil specs' I'm not sure whether or not the term would apply to the sear angle.

Try reassembling it as it came to you with absolutely no replacement pieces nor mods if you can, and see what you get. I'm sure it'll work out for you with a little patience.

But if all else fails, and you still can't get it right, before you throw it in the trash let me know and I'll give you an address to ship it to ;):). This address is sorta' like an animal rescue organization ....... I take 'em in ....... I mean they take 'em in and try to rescue them. All kinds any colors/calibers.

I mean as in the grip safety just flops around. No tension, no function. When I go to put the thumb safety in...the hammer wont stay back to get it in. Yeah basically even took apart the main spring housing about a dozen times and put that back together...nothing.

Did nothing to either sear springs. No tweaking, no adjusting...nothing. Just took one out and put another in out of the box...thats all. Only reason I changed out the trigger was the ornigal was plastic and I worried about integrity issues. Didn't want something to break. I need it to be trusty. Same why I wanted the Wilson combat bulletproof sear spring. I didn't want this gun to fail. It was my daily carry pistol. Only reason I carry a 1911 is because my grandpa carried one when he was off fighting in the Pacific in WW2 on Iwo Jima. I figure if the 1911 was good enough to protect him it is good enough to protect me. Except mine aint Iwo Jima..

Mine is Detroit...America's Iwo Jima

Sometimes we can overlook the even simplest of things, sometimes more than once. A spring not situated exactly right, one sear angle being just a tad off from the other, etc. Just take it slow and steady, do one thing at a time, then stop and study it. Once you're convinced that piece is right, move to the next piece. Put it in place then stop and study again. I'm sure you'll get it right.

I'm certainly not going to talk bad about a 1911 under any circumstances, but try to remember that when you say " if the 1911 was good enough to protect him" ...... that's probably true, but then there was nothing better at the time either. But today there are many choices of good, dependable, quality firearms available. Maybe after getting this one back together and functioning you might want to think about that and look in another direction. Then again maybe not, it's obviously your call and choice. I'm only suggesting there might be something out there a little better suited.

Good luck !!!!! (y) (y) (y)

Check this video out. It sounds like the right “ear” needs adjusting.
That's an excellent video for this type of problem. Don't think I was even aware the spring could be put back in underneath the sear. Realistically, it's been a '****'s age since I was inside a 1911 to be honest, and never was inside many of them. Maybe 2 or 3. And that was way back when my eyes were still good enough to see the damn thing !!!

Had to even play this video in 'full screen' to see it well. :(:(🤨😢😥😥

This shouldnt happen

Did you put the original spring back in?

And, with no offense...if you’ve marred it all to heck, it sounds like you don’t have a lot of experience in taking down 1911’s because it’s fairly easy to do without marring...

I meant marring by the plunger to put the thumb safety back in. I am walking away from this gun for a few days. I mean its been a month with multiple attempts. This weekend I have plans with a couple of friends who are 1911 people themselves to compare their Colt Government(basic edition like the mil spec), a Rock Island(I know theyre junk too) my Auto Ordnance 1911A1 and my one buddys 1500 Colt. Each gun is getting take down, parts micrometered, then seeing whats interchangeable and whats not, internal quality comparison to the mil spec- which already I know Colt and Kahr dont use plastic parts, and them 2 of my friends and myself are going to attempt to reassemble the mil spec.

But for right now I am good on this mil spec...should of bought a Colt from what I can tell...

The marring happned cause the hammer wont stay cocked when trying to put back in the thumb safety. What my marring to hell and someone elses is...I think less is alot...

I also will be taking both sear springs from the Springfield and putting them into different 1911's

Basically this weekend...the mil spec of mine is getting gone over with a fine tooth comb to it manufacturing standards scrutiny...every part will be meticulously checked for tolerances compared to other brands...

I can already tell you. The tolerances found on this particular pistol so far...have not been lets just say... The strictest..

The marring happned cause the hammer wont stay cocked when trying to put back in the thumb safety. What my marring to hell and someone elses is...I think less is alot...

I also will be taking both sear springs from the Springfield and putting them into different 1911's

Basically this weekend...the mil spec of mine is getting gone over with a fine tooth comb to it manufacturing standards scrutiny...every part will be meticulously checked for tolerances compared to other brands...

I can already tell you. The tolerances found on this particular pistol so far...have not been lets just say... The strictest..
Lets be fair.
You did not buy a $1500 1911 Or even a $1000 1911. You bought a base model mil spec 1911 that was manufactured for that purpose. Lots of old colts, Springfield's and other 1911’s made for military in mass qty have a little give in the tolerances. Your looking at a Chevy like its a Ferrari and getting disappointed AFTER you disassembled a gun and cant get it back together to work

This shouldnt happen

What on Earth??

Did you fire it beforehand to ensure it was G2G? I dog my Mil-spec .45. Never had an issue.

Springfield, by the way, *will* fix a gun you ****ed up yourself - because I'm sorry - you did this to yourself. They may charge for any parts to be replaced, but don't blame them for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back