testtest

Model 2020

SATRP

Master Class
Founding Member
Springfield Armory appears to have gone highest quality with its big hunting rifle. .75 MOA guarantee is impressive. The .308 Win is a proven North American big game cartidge The weight and barrel length are perfect. A five shot mag is perfect, but with the rifle's accuracy, 5 rounds in a magazine might be extra weight ;-)

I could be motivated to go with a Model 2020 with a classic stock (American), no break, and no Pic rail.

It is encouraging to see American craftsmen build what appears to be a perfect North American big game rifle.

BTW, I own a 10+ pound Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag. It's an excellent rifle. It'll print very tiny groups. I'm done hunting with it. I can tell you from too much experience that carrying a heavy rifle up-and-down high ridges of the Rockies sucks. The rub is the .308 Win will kill big game just as dead as a 7MM Rem Mag (all magnum cartridges for the matter) as long as a hunter can destroy the oxygenated blood pumping apparatus of any big game animal for which he has a tag. No big game in North America will survive more than seconds after taling a properly placed .308 Win bullet.

I agree two years ago when I went to Colorado a friend shot a 5x5 bull with a 308 Win. One and done. I used a 6.5 CM this year but didn't get a shot at an elk but one shot on a mule deer about 100 yds he only went another 20 yds. I'm looking to get a Waypoint next year haven't made up my mind if I'm getting the 6.5 CM or something a little bigger.

I agree two years ago when I went to Colorado a friend shot a 5x5 bull with a 308 Win. One and done. I used a 6.5 CM this year but didn't get a shot at an elk but one shot on a mule deer about 100 yds he only went another 20 yds. I'm looking to get a Waypoint next year haven't made up my mind if I'm getting the 6.5 CM or something a little bigger.
Go bigger or stay home. My opinion.

I know nothing of the 6.5 Creedmoor except that it's all the rage among some hunters.

Cartridge is nowhere as important as what a bullet destroys.

Arrows leaving strings at ~300 FPS kill America's largest big game every year.

The .308 Win, which is the venerable '06's twin, has an aprox 70 year history of proven performance. It's inherently accurate. Shorter barrels don't affect velocity to a noticeable degree. With 200 grain Partitions, it'll work on every North American big game animal.

For Rocky Mountain mule deer, the .243 Win is all perfection. The .243 Win with the right bullet will work on Rocky Mountain bull elk. As they old hunters' saying goes: "A .243 Win in the boiler room beats an '06 to the guts every time."

For young hunters entering the sport, buy the best quality big game rifle you can afford. You'll be glad you did. An inexpensive hunting rifle can wind up costing a small fortune. Contracting with a smith to get a rifle that can't carry a group in a basket to shoot decent groups is expensive. Big game hunts are not inexpensive adventures. Tags seem to increase in price every year. Big bucks are harder to find. Go with the best quality rifle you can afford.

300 WM would be my go to on an out west elk gun. However, there have been several elks taken with a 6.5 Creed. I have a 6.5 Creed, 308 and 300WM. I have always been a fan of the 308 and will continue to own one.

I too am a 308 fan boy. I own a bolt action & an AR. Am considering getting 1 of the new AR pistols chambered in 308. Just hard to imagine a barrel shorter than 12" with a 308

300 WM would be my go to on an out west elk gun. However, there have been several elks taken with a 6.5 Creed. I have a 6.5 Creed, 308 and 300WM. I have always been a fan of the 308 and will continue to own one.

Heavy rifles become a burden after scaling too many high Rocky Mountain ridges.

Now I primarily use the lightest rifle I own: a Model 700 .270 Win that'll print .25" groups.

Too many Rocky Mountain hunts have exposed me to wisdom of lighter is better as long as it's high-quality and fires a proven cartridge; e.g., .308 Win.

I have no knowledge of the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have read only stellar reviews of it. From what little I know of it, I believe that the .308 Win is superior to it for North American big game, especially if a hunter is a hand loader, and it's more versatile.

I do know the the .308 Win has won a ton of 1000 yard shooting competitions; hence, its long range ability is not doubted. Reality is 400 yards at Rocky Mountain altitude and under absolutely perfect conditions is a very long shot.

Back