testtest

Modifications

About the only thing I will modify on a carry gun are sights and grips (I don’t consider an extended/increased cap magazine a modification), or drop a conversion barrel in (.40 to .357, in my case).

As for trigger, etc...if I don’t like the trigger in a gun, I’ll find a different gun with a trigger I do like...there’s plenty of options out there. Not everyone has that option, though, I do realize.

About the only thing I will modify on a carry gun are sights and grips (I don’t consider an extended/increased cap magazine a modification), or drop a conversion barrel in (.40 to .357, in my case).

As for trigger, etc...if I don’t like the trigger in a gun, I’ll find a different gun with a trigger I do like...there’s plenty of options out there. Not everyone has that option, though, I do realize.

When S&W first brought out their M&P line I wanted one, but their triggers were awful.
I read most owners were replacing triggers with Apex triggers.
I agree with you, why should I put money into a new firearm to make it marginally better when there are so many good ones out of the box.
I understand they are better now, but I am happy with my Springfield's.

I agree with @HansGruber. On the rare chance I would have to use my firearm in self-defense, I don’t want to give the prosecution/jury another reason to criminalize me. Typically, in self-defense shooting cases, if you end up being charged, the firearm you used will be intensely analyzed and the prosecution will look for anything to make you look like a criminal. Sights, grips, and barrel changes on a self-defense firearm don’t bother me. Where you may find yourself stuck in a corner is reducing the trigger-pull weight. I definitely understand doing so for competition, but not for EDC. I don’t find the argument that reducing the trigger-pull weight from the stock 5-7 (ish) lbs to 3 lbs will benefit someone in a self-defense situation, to be true. The average citizen who carries will not have any noticeable advantage/benefit from reducing their trigger-pull weight in a self-defense, high stress, high adrenaline situation. If anything, it will make it easier to have a negligent discharge, which has happened many times in self-defense cases. There are so many other things you can do to improve your chances of survival and getting off the first shot accurately in a self-defense situation (e.g. taking certified classes, going to the range, dry firing, etc...and doing all of these many times). These other ways to improve your skills will be much, much more beneficial to you than reducing your trigger pull weight on your EDC. My $0.02.

Last edited:
I don’t see a problem with adding +1/2 baseplates. I also don’t see a problem with a trigger that is 4lb with no creep vs a 5.5+ lb trigger with creep. In a defensive situation I want the best I can get. I can shoot better with a lighter trigger. I’m not condoning a 2lb trigger for a defensive weapon but you see my point. Sights, I swap mine out because I’m out at night.
Glock, SA and S&W won’t have their pistols from the factory with 4lb triggers and no creep and Trijicon sights for what you see them for now. That is why they are just mediocre off the shelf.

Go shoot an IDPA match with your factory Glock, SA or S&W then shoot it with your, if you have one, Glock, SA or S&W that has a better trigger and sights. Check your times/scores. I understand your mind will not realize the weight but the results will, in the end be it for defensive situation or on the range. You can not tell me you shoot better with a 5.5+ lb trigger (factory) over a 4lb +/- trigger.

Performance in competition matches does not correlate to success/performance in self-defense situations. I’m not saying there’s no benefit, but you can easily find articles where they take professional competition shooters and put them in mock self-defense scenarios (they are essentially the stress self-defense courses that the average citizen can sign up for), and they do not perform any better that the average citizen taking the course. Obviously, practice with what you have, whether it’s a 3 lb trigger-pull or a 10 lb trigger-pull. IMHO, there is much more risk to modifying your trigger-pull weight on your EDC compared to any marginal benefit, if any, you may have in a self-defense situation by reducing trigger-pull weight. I definitely don’t fault people for doing so, just practice, practice, practice, and be aware it could come up in court on the slim chance you use your self-defense firearm.

Last edited:
I think it depends on your trigger. Suppose you get stuck with the famous Glock NY Trigger which is 12lbs? One of the reasons, unlike TV, NYPD's hit rate is under 20%. I am also not worried that someone will notice I put in an Apex trigger to go from 7-8lbs to 4lbs and make a big deal about it. Now I did meet Rob Leatham once and he had a 1lb trigger on his competition gun. Yeah, that's a little light for carry.

Also just a small point that always bothers me LEOs are citizens. Unless you are military we are all citizens not any better than anyone else.

Completely agree with the statement of practice. Repetition, Repetition, Repetition. I’ve seen some of the “videos” of completion shooters shooting a course of the likes of IDPA. I said likes of because it makes no sense because they are used to shooting on a timer and used to shooting proficient so I don’t know what to take from it. But not saying that a 1lb trigger is the key. We all know that the trigger plays a big part in accuracy. Pistol or Rifle. No denying it?? From average weekend joes to proes modify their trigger for more accurate hits be it vs the lock or under stress.

If people prefer not reducing trigger-pull weight, but they hate their stock trigger, you can find after market drop-in triggers that are much smoother, less creep, but don’t reduce trigger-pull weight. Apex, and some others do make some, but it just depends on the make and model of your EDC.

If is justified SD shot, it is justifiable, no court involve, if is a negligent discharge or injuring other than the intended target, one is screw anyway, whether the trigger is 6lb or 4lb if is the later trigger pull, one might just hit the intended target then.

There are also a lot of different solutions. My local gunsmith took my stock S&W 686+1 Revolver (.357 Mag) and just by replacing some springs and stoning some stuff the trigger is now a lot better. My old Sig P226 with over 25,000 rounds had an action job and SRT from Sig that made a great difference especially on the DA.

If is justified SD shot, it is justifiable, no court involve, if is a negligent discharge or injuring other than the intended target, one is screw anyway, whether the trigger is 6lb or 4lb if is the later trigger pull, one might just hit the intended target then.

That’s a myth, unfortunately.

You may get off from a jury, but if the DA thinks it’s worth prosecuting, you’ll be in court.

I try not to modify anything on my carry guns. When I select a carry gun I try to find one that I feel I can buy and right outta the box carry it without a single modification. I don’t give a hoot about the whole “prosecutor/jury” thing, although I’m sure it has been used against someone and will again somewhere. All I know is, I’m not wanting to build a thousand dollar BBQ gun just to turn it over to law enforcement to be stored in the evidence room for God only knows how long after/if being used; that distinction will be left to one of my work horse defensive carry options.

I like to look at all the beautiful offerings out there, and I admire the folks that like to trick out their firearms, but it’s just not for me. Personally, I’d rather take the coin and buy another firearm with it, as some of those upgrades are top notch, and come with a price to match.

Back