testtest

Most Trivial Reason You Ever Purchased a Gun?

wmg1299

Professional
I had been doing a good job fighting my addiction to purchasing low-priced guns. I had everything limited to where I would only buy a gun, regardless of how good a deal I found, if I had been interested in the gun before it went on sale. I fell off the wagon when the offer for an SDS/Tisas PX-9 Gen.3 in OD green for $259.99 (shipping & tax included) hit my inbox.

I wasn't in the market for another polymer-framed striker-fired handgun, but I justified this purchase in my head for a few reasons. (1) The one Tisas/SDS Imports pistol that I own (Fatih 380 Beretta 84 clone) has been a great gun. (2) The gun uses cheap & readily available Mec-Gar P226 magazines. (3) I really like the front fiber-optic with a blacked-out rear sight setup, and the fact that it is optics-ready. (4) The gun has received good reviews.

If I'm being honest, the thing that drew my attention to the gun was the color. I like the OD Green cerakote finish, and I think the gun looks good. This will be the only gun that I have ever purchased strictly because I like the way it looks. Am I the only one that has ever purchased a cheap gun simply based on looks? Have any of you ever bought a gun for a different, but still completely trivial, reason?
142120.jpg

I had been doing a good job fighting my addiction to purchasing low-priced guns. I had everything limited to where I would only buy a gun, regardless of how good a deal I found, if I had been interested in the gun before it went on sale. I fell off the wagon when the offer for an SDS/Tisas PX-9 Gen.3 in OD green for $259.99 (shipping & tax included) hit my inbox.

I wasn't in the market for another polymer-framed striker-fired handgun, but I justified this purchase in my head for a few reasons. (1) The one Tisas/SDS Imports pistol that I own (Fatih 380 Beretta 84 clone) has been a great gun. (2) The gun uses cheap & readily available Mec-Gar P226 magazines. (3) I really like the front fiber-optic with a blacked-out rear sight setup, and the fact that it is optics-ready. (4) The gun has received good reviews.

If I'm being honest, the thing that drew my attention to the gun was the color. I like the OD Green cerakote finish, and I think the gun looks good. This will be the only gun that I have ever purchased strictly because I like the way it looks. Am I the only one that has ever purchased a cheap gun simply based on looks? Have any of you ever bought a gun for a different, but still completely trivial, reason?
View attachment 31758
I like the color!

I don't know about a trivial reason or a whimsical buy, but I did buy a g21 (45acp) for almost no reason. With my 2nd handgun purchase being a 45acp (amt hardballer) lead me to believe the cartridge was a horrible cartridge? Fast forward to the g21 purchase. Loaded up 13 rounds put a stake (1.5"w x 1.5' out of the ground) in the ground at 15 yards. With winchester white box ammo I put 11 of 13 in the stake. I just needed a better gun than a 1911!!!!!!!!!

Taurus TX22

Mossberg Security 88

Both were deep sales . Super inexpensive
About a decade ago, the Maverick 88 became the first home security shotgun I ever purchased. At the time, I did my research and determined that the $199 Maverick 88 was the best shotgun I could get for the money. We were a single income family at the time, and the Maverick fit or budget perfectly.

The Maverick 88 has been 100% reliable and is still one of my favorites. It is an ideal 4-Wheeler/ATV gun for our family land in East Texas. That's why I bought another one last year when I found it on sale at Academy for $189. I think the regular sticker price at Academy is still just $229. I appreciate the fact that Mossberg has maintained the quality of the 88 while keeping it affordable.

The Maverick 88 is the exact type of gun that is hard for me to pass up when I find one at a good price. I consider it to be an "affordable" gun, but not a "cheap" gun. It seems like a lot shooters have trouble understanding that distinction.

About a decade ago, the Maverick 88 became the first home security shotgun I ever purchased. At the time, I did my research and determined that the $199 Maverick 88 was the best shotgun I could get for the money. We were a single income family at the time, and the Maverick fit or budget perfectly.

The Maverick 88 has been 100% reliable and is still one of my favorites. It is an ideal 4-Wheeler/ATV gun for our family land in East Texas. That's why I bought another one last year when I found it on sale at Academy for $189. I think the regular sticker price at Academy is still just $229. I appreciate the fact that Mossberg has maintained the quality of the 88 while keeping it affordable.

The Maverick 88 is the exact type of gun that is hard for me to pass up when I find one at a good price. I consider it to be an "affordable" gun, but not a "cheap" gun. It seems like a lot shooters have trouble understanding that distinction.
totally on the cheap part. Cheap as in quality, not as in price. I use low cost in stead of cheap, unless it's cheap (quality) made!

I don't know about a trivial reason or a whimsical buy, but I did buy a g21 (45acp) for almost no reason. With my 2nd ha1ndgun purchase being a 45acp (amt hardballer) lead me to believe the cartridge was a horrible cartridge? Fast forward to the g21 purchase. Loaded up 13 rounds put a stake (1.5"w x 1.5' out of the ground) in the ground at 15 yards. With winchester white box ammo I put 11 of 13 in the stake. I just needed a better gun than a 1911!!!!!!!!!
LOL...there is no better gun than the 1911. LOL, just my opinion, of course.
I have a lot of experience with the G21, as my first duty weapon. Pretty OK gun. ave literally about 150 hours of training and thousands of rounds through it.
I have a Kimber 1911 that I love. If I had to take one into a fight, I'd probably take the Kimber, despite the limited capacity, because I just shoot it so much better
When we switched to the G45, I had to chance to buy my G21. I passed, because I already have the 1911. But, honestly, I'm glad you like the G21. It's your gun, and that's all that matters

Now to answer the thread...

I bought a Heritage Rough Rider because it was on sale for $109 for Father's Day. The wife and kids gave me a $100 gift card for Father's Day. It was a no brainer. I take it almost every time I go to the range

Can't say I bought any "Trivial guns". Any gun I bought was something I thought was good and worth having at the time. When I was young, finances forced me into a different "Gene pool" and I ended up with things like the Llama Max 2, Taurus Model 44 and the Makarov. I guess you could put the Mossberg 500 I bought when I was 21 in that group too.

These days I can afford to have a "Buy once, cry once" attitude towards weaponry. Sure I have a couple low end 1911s, but when I buy one now it sure won't be.

Going strictly by the title of this thread I guess I would have to say the only "Trivial" firearm I bought was the KSG25. I say that because I never intended it to be used as a HD or SD weapon, just something to devastate poor wooden pallets and water cooler bottles on the range. I will say I was fortunate enough to have bought a later generation version and have put thousands and thousands of rounds through it with no issue and I certainly would trust it for the zombie apocalypse.

I have an AR-15 that I built and coated in Duracoat in Woodland MARPAT camouflage a decade ago.
20211212_221801.jpg

I just finished two 80% frame 1911 projects that I Cerakoted, but mostly in a solid color.
20221007_235713.jpg

20221017_014939.jpg

So now I'm itching to do a pistol in Desert MARPAT Camouflage with Cerakote.
Yep, I bought a used Springfield XD-M 4.5" .45ACP.
20220910_110425.jpg

I bought my first AR platform for the main reason of, because I could.

Bought my M1 and M1A for no other reason than I wanted them.

Bought a Canik and added a red dot only so I could hit more bulls at 25 yards.

Those are pretty trivial "reasons" for buying a firearm.

The only 2 firearms (outside of shotguns) I had "reason" and purpose for buying were my EDC and my wife's pistol.

Funny you say that.
I got it on sale for $259 to use in E Tx for hogs in the thick woods. It sits on the front of my 4 wheeler on a rifle mount🙂👍

Open sights and 3” slugs. Perfect for quick in the woods on hogs

Not exactly a 'trivial reason' but I wasn't expecting to purchase anything except some ammo when I walked into my local GS that day a few years ago.

Ended up browsing a little and saw a Walther CCP 9mm on -clearance- for $229 brand new in box.

I didn't have a conceal carry gun at the time, but my father owns a Walther PPQ and I've used it a few times at the range.

Needless to say, I picked it up and it's been my conceal carry every since. (photo is a stock photo)

1666537057997.png

I bought my first AR platform for the main reason of, because I could.

Bought my M1 and M1A for no other reason than I wanted them.

Bought a Canik and added a red dot only so I could hit more bulls at 25 yards.

Those are pretty trivial "reasons" for buying a firearm.

The only 2 firearms (outside of shotguns) I had "reason" and purpose for buying were my EDC and my wife's pistol.
First 2 out 3 purchases aren’t bad🙂🤪

He said Canik ….. 😳😳😳😱😱😱🤯🤯🫣🫣🫣🤢🤢🤢🧐🧐🧐

Back