testtest

Most versatile gun..

In my opinion, for the woodsman, bushcrafter, bushranger, prepper etc, is the single shot, break-action 12 gauge shotgun.

Slugs, the various types of shot, flares, rocks (in times of desperation) smokeless powder or black powder, and with inserts, smaller gauge shells, pistol and rimfire rounds.

The versatility is endless, the price points are pretty cheap, mechanically simple to clean, maintain and repair, ammo galore.

What do you guys think?
Why a single shot ? I don't disagree about the shotgun part fo sho, but why would a single shot, BA shotgun be more versatile than a double barrel or say a 5 round Tac-14 ? Or a 16rd. bullpup Israeli job that isn't much longer than a Tac 14.

Instead of versatile, I would say simple and cheap. Not a bad thing for a kid learning the ropes or someone who is very limited with funds. Personally, I think a double or pump is way superior to any single shot. Singles are the derringers of the shotgun world IMO. YMMV
Singles are good for one thing. Your 11 year old son's 1st year quail hunting. It was my first gun. I still have it. Haven't shot it since I was 10. By the time I was 11 I had a side by side Stevens 12 ga.

You can put a shotgun barrel on both of them.

Encore can have a 12ga barrel.

Meanwhile, it can also be anything from a .22LR pistol to a .30-06 rifle, muzzle loader, 12ga shotgun…

That’s a poop load more versatility in my book.
I would have to agree, I owned a few during my silhouette shooting days, very, very versatile

You can put a shotgun barrel on both of them.

Encore can have a 12ga barrel.

Meanwhile, it can also be anything from a .22LR pistol to a .30-06 rifle, muzzle loader, 12ga shotgun…

That’s a poop load more versatility in my book.
Although I'm a confirmed fan of both Contenders and Encores, each of the calibers and/or gauges mentioned requires a separate barrel. Seems that would make a lot of 'Most versatile' a lot less versatile. At least if'n you had to carry all that around with you in order to have that versatility.

If we're 'holed up' somewhere pretty secure and have all the bbl's laid out in front of us with plenty of ammo for each, then I'd say yeh, they're pretty versatile. But if I got to carry all that with me for that versatility, it just doesn't seem like such a grand scheme!!! (y) :)

I will agree they do pretty much fit the bill named by the OP as "the price points are pretty cheap, mechanically simple to clean, maintain and repair".

Back