testtest

Must Have Mods for your XD series gun?

Epeeist

Elite
Founding Member
I am always curious as to what other people run when it comes to competition use and carry. I don't run an XD in competition personally, but a lot of folks I shoot with do. The must haves from them seem to be a nice Powder River trigger kit, Talon Grips and Dawson Precision fiber optic front sights. Springer Precision guide rods and base pads are popular as well. What are your must haves?

For every day carry, I only have one must-have: Night Sights. My XD Mod.2 (subcompact) has Night Fision on the rear and Trijicon (green) on the front (ask about the gunsmith who put them on if you want to know why the front and rear are different :rolleyes:).

I use an XDm 4.5" OSP for competition.

I use Springer Precision for the bulk of my mods. I have the extended magazine release, compensator, flared mag well, and grip tape. The last thing on my to do list is a trigger job and probably a tungsten guiderod insert. That's coming after I get the wife's carbine.

SVk3kKar.jpg

Last edited:
This year I'm investing in putting HIVIZ hybrid tritium/fiber-optic sights on all my pistols. Something I planned on doing last year, but I kept blowing my savings on new guns, ammo and going on a ramen noodle diet... :LOL:

I generally run mine carry guns 'stock', no real reason other than I just prefer to.

That said, I do typically change out to night sights if they didn't come with the gun.

Still need to get around to this with my XD Mod 2 SC since I've been carrying that 99% of the time lately.

Well now I want to know the story
LOL! Bought the front/rear set of Night Fision sights. Went to the gunsmith, who promptly broke the stock fiber optic site. Then he broke the Night Fision front sight. He took it like a man and ordered a replacement Trijicon front sight from Brownell's (I watched him order it online).

When the new sight came in, he put it on and everything works great. Only charged me $35.

Still have a couple of tool marks on the front of the slide I can't get rid of.

Ultimately he blamed Springfield for having their sights machined in so tight.

LOL! Bought the front/rear set of Night Fision sights. Went to the gunsmith, who promptly broke the stock fiber optic site. Then he broke the Night Fision front sight. He took it like a man and ordered a replacement Trijicon front sight from Brownell's (I watched him order it online).

When the new sight came in, he put it on and everything works great. Only charged me $35.

Still have a couple of tool marks on the front of the slide I can't get rid of.

Ultimately he blamed Springfield for having their sights machined in so tight.
That is funny but not funny and is sad that you are not the only one.

My first Springfield was an M-14 in the service. Not had another until recently when I got a Mod 2 service in .40 S&W. I have about 300 rounds through it and the snow will be gone before too long so I can get out a little more. Is the only option for the trigger to go with one of the two aftermarket triggers? I have HiPoints that have a substantially better trigger than this gun. While I really like how it fits my hand and it does shoot well, the trigger is something else. Anyone else have thoughts on this particular issue? I am certain that this is the longest take up followed by the spongiest trigger break I have ever felt by a long margin.

Back