testtest

My Best Guess

HayesGreener

Hellcat
EDITORIAL MUSINGS. With all the gun control talk swirling around us over the past couple of years, I have found myself spending a lot of time contemplating what gun control advocates might ACTUALLY be able to accomplish in the current political environment. I don't have a crystal ball, but I do have a pretty good understanding of the Constitutional issues where anti-gun legislation is concerned. Legislators may have grand aspirations for making certain guns illegal and even confiscation, but what they can actually get done will fall short of their goals. They will be in a hurry to get something done, because they will only have both houses for another 20 months. And then there was Obama's assessment of Biden, "Never underestimate Joe's ability to fu2k things up".

The strongest lever the liberals have for gun control involves interstate commerce, importation, sale, and manufacturing activities, where Federal law trumps state and local laws. Basically if it crosses our borders or across state lines, they can control it.

As far as confiscation is concerned, there are 4th, 5th, 10th, and 14th Amendment issues to confiscation that will not pass Constitutional challenge. The individual states have a big say in all of this as well. The storm troopers are not going to kick in your door in the middle of the night to seize your legally owned AR, even if they could find law enforcement officers to carry it out. Most states will refuse to comply, and in my estimation most officers will refuse to carry it out. If you read Feinstein's 2021 assault weapons ban bill that was introduced, they seem to acknowledge this by "grandfathering" guns and magazines that were legally owned before the ban takes effect, but as I read it, would not allow them to be transferred. This might be a hint to legally transfer those items to your heirs before any such legislation is signed into law, perhaps something to be discussed by our great legal minds.

The practical aspect of confiscation relates to the enormity of the task. People talking about seizing, or buying back semi-automatic weapons obviously cannot grasp the logistics of collecting the many millions of such weapons in the lawful possession of Americans, even if the people who possess them were to voluntarily surrender them. There is also a real possibility of armed resistance to such an effort. As Charles Krauthammer once said, if you try to confiscate the guns "there will be an insurrection".

We can quote the line "shall not be infringed" from here to eternity, but the reality is, the USSC has allowed for some control of guns in the past and will probably do so in the future. It is our task to hold the line as best we can, and use the courts and political process to push back.

My best guess is, if anything can pass Congress and be signed by OBiden, it will be enhanced background checks with its exemptions, and possibly Feinstein's Assault Weapons Ban, but it is still a steep hill for them to climb due to the current makeup of Congress. We can stay active and vigilant, and see what develops. Whatever passes must then pass muster from the inevitable challenges before a conservative U.S. Supreme Court.

EDITORIAL MUSINGS. With all the gun control talk swirling around us over the past couple of years, I have found myself spending a lot of time contemplating what gun control advocates might ACTUALLY be able to accomplish in the current political environment. I don't have a crystal ball, but I do have a pretty good understanding of the Constitutional issues where anti-gun legislation is concerned. Legislators may have grand aspirations for making certain guns illegal and even confiscation, but what they can actually get done will fall short of their goals. They will be in a hurry to get something done, because they will only have both houses for another 20 months. And then there was Obama's assessment of Biden, "Never underestimate Joe's ability to fu2k things up".

The strongest lever the liberals have for gun control involves interstate commerce, importation, sale, and manufacturing activities, where Federal law trumps state and local laws. Basically if it crosses our borders or across state lines, they can control it.

As far as confiscation is concerned, there are 4th, 5th, 10th, and 14th Amendment issues to confiscation that will not pass Constitutional challenge. The individual states have a big say in all of this as well. The storm troopers are not going to kick in your door in the middle of the night to seize your legally owned AR, even if they could find law enforcement officers to carry it out. Most states will refuse to comply, and in my estimation most officers will refuse to carry it out. If you read Feinstein's 2021 assault weapons ban bill that was introduced, they seem to acknowledge this by "grandfathering" guns and magazines that were legally owned before the ban takes effect, but as I read it, would not allow them to be transferred. This might be a hint to legally transfer those items to your heirs before any such legislation is signed into law, perhaps something to be discussed by our great legal minds.

The practical aspect of confiscation relates to the enormity of the task. People talking about seizing, or buying back semi-automatic weapons obviously cannot grasp the logistics of collecting the many millions of such weapons in the lawful possession of Americans, even if the people who possess them were to voluntarily surrender them. There is also a real possibility of armed resistance to such an effort. As Charles Krauthammer once said, if you try to confiscate the guns "there will be an insurrection".

We can quote the line "shall not be infringed" from here to eternity, but the reality is, the USSC has allowed for some control of guns in the past and will probably do so in the future. It is our task to hold the line as best we can, and use the courts and political process to push back.

My best guess is, if anything can pass Congress and be signed by OBiden, it will be enhanced background checks with its exemptions, and possibly Feinstein's Assault Weapons Ban, but it is still a steep hill for them to climb due to the current makeup of Congress. We can stay active and vigilant, and see what develops. Whatever passes must then pass muster from the inevitable challenges before a conservative U.S. Supreme Court.

Good post sir.

Though I fear you have too much faith in the Supreme Court.

With a golden tongue like that you could yourself succeed as a politician!

Me thinks you have too much faith in all branches of government and how they operate or that they care a whit about any of the Amendments. If you are law abiding they know who has what. Confiscation? Not necessary, ways will be found for you (and us) to take and turn in your equipment.

Underestimating the motives, determination and abilities of your enemy assures shortsightedness and defeat.

HayesG: appreciate the thoughtful post !!!!
Do you have any thoughts on what appears to me to be a conflict of ‘movements’, namely the gun control push by liberal elitists at the national level (face it, much as they yak about ‘the people’ they will have nothing to do with the man/woman on the streets; the Fed is their forum) versus what we’re seeing with the swell of Constitutional Carry at state levels (far more grassroots) ?

The libs are going to pay a heavy price in 2 years...

HayesGreener: Good thoughts, words and post, thank you.

This may sound like an unorthodox and unreal thought and example on this end of what you say? Many people in this country, citizens or not, in or out of our government, have little to no real comprehension, understanding of how huge and complex this country and it's ways actually are? They mainly and sometimes only know their own areas, sections of their own surroundings and areas in too many times. This country is huge and amazing. If by traveling this whole country by plane, you'll likely miss out on all the beauty and complexities of it. Traveling by car, bus, train or other vehicular contraption you'll not only see more but understand more. It's not done in a day, week, month and not even done in a year.

The complexities involved in this country are and is the point. Not much in this country and likely not unlike in any other larger country can be mentally staggering to the average person. From a smaller area of this or any country? An off the wall comparison? Had a visitor from another smaller country visiting for a while, keep in mind this is a 17 year old. They wanted to visit both Disney Land and Disney World in one day traveling by car. Possible? Not likely. Thing is, that kid's very book smart, very computer savvy. But, real world savvy then? Not thinking so today or tomorrow. That kid has thankfully grown up to know better now.

The many times of too many aspirations of some younger, untraveled an inexperienced person in this country has led to many issues, miscommunications and failures because of what? My thoughts are of a more balanced educational lacking in some of the younger crowd. Where's the good guidance in and from our leadership our teachers? Partying or out working for who or what in what direction to see or do what for who? But, also in contrast on the younger, fresher, newer crowd, they have sometimes also opened our eyes up as well? So, hopefully not all is up in smoke?

From the other direction? On our older crowd? Sometimes, almost regardless of age and experience and the unfortunate effects of aging take their toll on humans and effects the mind and actions of even our brightest and most experienced people? I don't see or hear too much good experience and knowledge being passed down to future generations to some by hearing and seeing the recent actions of both sides in our streets. So, something's apparently lacking somewhere, but where? Why? From some business experience, most issues start at the top for a trickle down effect. Sometimes, people make the wrong choices if given or actually presented with any at all?

This all relates to the 2nd Amendment or any other rule or law of our country if it's to be a well functional one. In some ways, we may sadly see our current federal government not really thinking about our whole country's past, present or future needs of and for all people who reside in it? From more local levels seeing priorities and other things being glazed or paved over by not really or actually addressing issues, haphazardly fixing them and moving onto the next issue to wash, rinse and repeat in future? Same on federal level?

By supposedly repairing a poor "road" without addressing why isn't really a good road isn't a good solution for much if it's done by ignoring the past foundations of that road and just paving over the roads poor condition underneath. To me, that road scenario may address what's going on in this country now? By just newly paving over a poorly laid roadbed doesn't always address the road itself as why to it was a poor road in the 1st place. By just changing the rule book as some may be attempting to do to or for some issues doesn't really change the issues causes at all.

Our Country's "Rule Book" is there for a very good reason, it's meant and supposed to help protect all of Our Country's people from possible lecherous unjust government tyranny. Am thinking some leaders, teachers forgot to comprehend, pass on or understand that info to our students?

Guessing if some don't like the present "marble game" at hand agreed to by everyone else prior to game and they're losing, they may also want to change our rule book to suit themselves so they essentially steal everyone else's marbles? Then what? So, who do they play with next when marbles are all gone? Themselves?

HayesG: appreciate the thoughtful post !!!!
Do you have any thoughts on what appears to me to be a conflict of ‘movements’, namely the gun control push by liberal elitists at the national level (face it, much as they yak about ‘the people’ they will have nothing to do with the man/woman on the streets; the Fed is their forum) versus what we’re seeing with the swell of Constitutional Carry at state levels (far more grassroots) ?

The libs are going to pay a heavy price in 2 years...
I live in the Florida Panhandle. My County has already declared itself a 2nd Amendment sanctuary, and our sheriff has said they will not participate in any gun confiscations. My state has a constitutional carry bill working its way through the process. I see much of the same 2A approach being taken in many counties and states, especially sheriffs, around the country, many of which are far ahead of Florida, and that gives me hope. This I believe is where the 10th Amendment comes into strong play. Liberals make a terrible mistake by disregarding conservative Americans (you know, we deplorables clinging to our religion and our guns). And I think you are correct, there will be a reckoning in 2022, given what we have seen thus far from the Congress and the WH.

Yes I am distressed by the political chicanery of the swamp, but on balance I have faith in the Constitution. The Constitution, and the Bill of Rights, serves to restrain government, not our citizens, and powers not given to the federal government in our Constitution are reserved for the states. If the states do not give the federal government the power to seize our guns, then government cannot do it. Any attempt to do so would be blatantly unconstitutional, and even liberals with a brain understand that. Many times over in 42 years of law enforcement and military service I swore to uphold and defend the Constitution, and although have disagreed with the Supreme Court in some of their decisions, they are our best hedge against overreach of government.

I live in the Florida Panhandle. My County has already declared itself a 2nd Amendment sanctuary, and our sheriff has said they will not participate in any gun confiscations. My state has a constitutional carry bill working its way through the process. I see much of the same 2A approach being taken in many counties and states, especially sheriffs, around the country, many of which are far ahead of Florida, and that gives me hope. This I believe is where the 10th Amendment comes into strong play. Liberals make a terrible mistake by disregarding conservative Americans (you know, we deplorables clinging to our religion and our guns). And I think you are correct, there will be a reckoning in 2022, given what we have seen thus far from the Congress and the WH.

Yes I am distressed by the political chicanery of the swamp, but on balance I have faith in the Constitution. The Constitution, and the Bill of Rights, serves to restrain government, not our citizens, and powers not given to the federal government in our Constitution are reserved for the states. If the states do not give the federal government the power to seize our guns, then government cannot do it. Any attempt to do so would be blatantly unconstitutional, and even liberals with a brain understand that. Many times over in 42 years of law enforcement and military service I swore to uphold and defend the Constitution, and although have disagreed with the Supreme Court in some of their decisions, they are our best hedge against overreach of government.
Well said. Thank you.
In teasing, from one swampland to another should understand swamps better?
In all reality, FL is far from a swamp. Is a great state in many ways. Lived there for many years. In some ways, wish still did.

Well said. Thank you.
In teasing, from one swampland to another should understand swamps better?
In all reality, FL is far from a swamp. Is a great state in many ways. Lived there for many years. In some ways, wish still did.
I grew up on a farm in the Midwest. In the 60's real estate speculators were running all around the country selling vacant Florida land to investors. They would give you a free meal at some hotel conference center if you sat through the sales pitch. Went with my folks once, I recall my Dad and others saying they were not going to fall or it because it was all swamp. The name of the place was memorable-Kissimmee. Oh well.

I grew up on a farm in the Midwest. In the 60's real estate speculators were running all around the country selling vacant Florida land to investors. They would give you a free meal at some hotel conference center if you sat through the sales pitch. Went with my folks once, I recall my Dad and others saying they were not going to fall or it because it was all swamp. The name of the place was memorable-Kissimmee. Oh well.
Yep, remember that and the abundant $1 pet shop alligators too. Found an old flintlock pistol in a field one time in the 60's. Had a spider monkey back then. ( Monkey's have a sarcastic sense of humor by the way.) Ringling Circus had it's winter base in FL at one time. Was pretty cool! Loved traveling through out the state. Likely more cattle there than in TX now days. Many good memories! Moved out of there in the 90's, had relocation thoughts again in early 2000's, saw all the changes, remembered back what was like in 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's.

There was some changes in and to the 50's and 60's thought were long over due. But, those changes were mostly "cosmetic" in a sense. The same as existed back then still exist there and in northern states like they always have. There's different ways for different deeds, needs and things I suppose? Agreeable or not, northerners tend to cover things up more than southerners do or did, but they all have their issues? To me, people are people 1st. Everything else is secondary.

In early 2000's said, Nope, to relocating, too many changes for me, doubt will relocate back there again. Too many crowds and strange new ideas and ways. I enjoy people and new things, but there are limits? Cut off A/C - half the people in the state would likely leave? FL living was very nice while lasted. Sort of feel like Daniel Boone in some ways. Good or not, he left his state for same reasons, too "darned" civilized.

Last edited:
Yep, remember that and the abundant $1 pet shop alligators too. Found an old flintlock pistol in a field one time in the 60's. Was pretty cool! Loved traveling through out the state. Likely more cattle there than in TX. Many good memories! Last time visited there, moved out of there in the 90's, had relocation thoughts, saw all the changes, remembered back what was like in 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's.

In early 2000's said, Nope, too many changes for me, doubt will relocate back to there again. Too many crowds and strange new ideas and ways. And, I enjoy people and new things, but there are limits? Cut off A/C - half the people in the state would likely leave? Was very nice while lasted. Sorta feel like Daniel Boone in some ways. Good or not, he left his state for same reasons, too "darned" civilized. :)
@Bob: your almost on the bullseye about cattle !
TX is and always has been the #1 cattle producing state. But 2nd?? FLORIDA !! Not WY or NE, etc...
As I heard it once, the FL ‘cowboys’ used to walk herds northward into GA to get them to markets to be sold (presumably near railheads). They didn’t drive them on horseback like out west. And they used a kind of whip or whippy branch to keep them moving that made a distinct cracking sound - they were supposedly the original ‘Florida Crackers’ !
(But who knows for sure?)

I agree with this completely.

@Bob: your almost on the bullseye about cattle !
TX is and always has been the #1 cattle producing state. But 2nd?? FLORIDA !! Not WY or NE, etc...
As I heard it once, the FL ‘cowboys’ used to walk herds northward into GA to get them to markets to be sold (presumably near railheads). They didn’t drive them on horseback like out west. And they used a kind of whip or whippy branch to keep them moving that made a distinct cracking sound - they were supposedly the original ‘Florida Crackers’ !
(But who knows for sure?)
Yep, heard the same on "Crackers." :)

On Cattle and other things? I was surprised when read it years a few years ago. Was backed up with head counts, processing and other statistics at the time. May've been accurate or not at the time and things do change? Have also heard largest deer on record ever harvested was from FL Everglades too. Written article read had the stats at the time, but can find no online record of it now. Could be many things like transcription errors, flubs, fakes, fairy tales and or wishful thinking on someone else's part, beats me. I like reading about statistics on many things, but also realize they can also be someone else's perception at the time of writing by whatever means they have access to at that time. Statistics are like surveys to me. They tend to give some facts and may overlook unknown other facts while doing them? Usually, just keep them in back of mind for ballpark references is about all. Never as gospel.

Like Olympics or other sports style events? Kids may think pro ball or other sports are played by the best of the best? But, as adults going back through history we may find that the best of the best is only the best of what or who's known about at the time. For example read about a mostly unknown Jim Thorpe and what he did to the sports industry when having the time? He blew many peoples minds and perceptions of sports out of the water as an all around fantastic athlete. Not much is ever perfect in an imperfect world, especially people. Expecting otherwise isn't a wise move. :)

I still have doubts that many gun control measures have sufficient support in Congress to become law. My best guess would be that Biden uses an executive order to ban the importation of certain firearms and ammo. I have been picking up 7.62x39 ammo whenever I find it because I have an AK, a Chicom SKS, and AR47 builds. The President most likely has the authority to issue an executive order limiting or forbidding ammo importation, and 7.62x39 is an easy target. I don't worry about calibers that are widely produced in the US, but domestic 7.62 is rare and usually significantly more expensive than Russian steel cased products.

I still have doubts that many gun control measures have sufficient support in Congress to become law. My best guess would be that Biden uses an executive order to ban the importation of certain firearms and ammo. I have been picking up 7.62x39 ammo whenever I find it because I have an AK, a Chicom SKS, and AR47 builds. The President most likely has the authority to issue an executive order limiting or forbidding ammo importation, and 7.62x39 is an easy target. I don't worry about calibers that are widely produced in the US, but domestic 7.62 is rare and usually significantly more expensive than Russian steel cased products.
Could be either way. Too soon to tell.

Having both type cases may be handy? Is for me. Suspecting if importation bans succeeds, strongly thinking the domestic ammo and firearms supplies will increase as well. There's at least two major AK mfg's in this country now. Brass cased ammo is almost as available as steel cased right now. Which isn't always much.

On price? Ammo? Paid about same for either type case. Brass was only slightly higher. Maybe 10% or less. Future may be anyone's guess because if both ammo and firearms are produced more locally and domestically the prices will normally be higher at 1st then taper down as market becomes more saturated. May take longer than normal with covid greed in the air for some, but prices will likely be lower once greed and ignorance is rooted and squashed out of the way.

Could be either way. Too soon to tell.

Having both type cases may be handy? Is for me. Suspecting if importation bans succeeds, strongly thinking the domestic ammo and firearms supplies will increase as well. There's at least two major AK mfg's in this country now. Brass cased ammo is almost as available as steel cased right now. Which isn't always much.

On price? Ammo? Paid about same for either type case. Brass was only slightly higher. Maybe 10% or less. Future may be anyone's guess because if both ammo and firearms are produced more locally and domestically the prices will normally be higher at 1st then taper down as market becomes more saturated. May take longer than normal with covid greed in the air for some, but prices will likely be lower once greed and ignorance is rooted and squashed out of the way.
Prior to COVID, I could find S&B brass case 7.62 for $7.99-$10.99 for a box of 20, and Winchester White Box brass cased for $9.99-$12.99. This was when steel Tulammo and Wolf were $5.99-$6.99. On my last trip to Academy, they had the 20 round boxes of the store brand Monarch Steel for $9.99, but Winchester brass was $21.99. It looks like the price increase was slightly higher for the American stuff, but I'm not sure if this will be a constant trend.

I'm hoping the American stuff will come down in price, but I worry that distributors will be reluctant to lower prices if their foreign competition is eliminated. It would be great if the new Remington owners would start cranking out 7.62, but I don't know if it has a big enough market share to draw a lot of interest from American manufacturers. It seems like the U.S. companies could keep themselves busy with 9mm, .223/5.56 NATO, and Buckshot for a long time to come. I'm still hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Prior to COVID, I could find S&B brass case 7.62 for $7.99-$10.99 for a box of 20, and Winchester White Box brass cased for $9.99-$12.99. This was when steel Tulammo and Wolf were $5.99-$6.99. On my last trip to Academy, they had the 20 round boxes of the store brand Monarch Steel for $9.99, but Winchester brass was $21.99. It looks like the price increase was slightly higher for the American stuff, but I'm not sure if this will be a constant trend.

I'm hoping the American stuff will come down in price, but I worry that distributors will be reluctant to lower prices if their foreign competition is eliminated. It would be great if the new Remington owners would start cranking out 7.62, but I don't know if it has a big enough market share to draw a lot of interest from American manufacturers. It seems like the U.S. companies could keep themselves busy with 9mm, .223/5.56 NATO, and Buckshot for a long time to come. I'm still hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.
Could be wrong, but reading between the lines with ammo situation? MFG's appear to be attacking the ammo situation by producing more common and more desired ammo like 9mm, 45ACP and .357 mag ammo 1st with some other calibers mixed in for AR style rifles ammo figuring the imported 7.62x39 steel cased ammo needs will fill in for AK's needs. Then will produce other less common rounds afterwards. Business wise, it makes sense. Consumer wise is better than nothing?

Weird high on Winchester Brass w.b. ammo was $14. here. Steel case Tula / Wolf $8.99 - $9.99 here. Different economies / different wholesalers? Am thinking Remington's still floating and testing the waters to some degree on ammo. Having so much ammo produced by realistically one huge producer that owns Remington likely has it's constraints as well as advantages. Shotgun shells just recently started flying off the shelves around here in the last month. They're as bare as centerfire and rimfire ammo now. Same as you in hoping for the best.

Could be wrong, but reading between the lines with ammo situation? MFG's appear to be attacking the ammo situation by producing more common and more desired ammo like 9mm, 45ACP and .357 mag ammo 1st with some other calibers mixed in for AR style rifles ammo figuring the imported 7.62x39 steel cased ammo needs will fill in for AK's needs. Then will produce other less common rounds afterwards. Business wise, it makes sense. Consumer wise is better than nothing?

Weird high on Winchester Brass w.b. ammo was $14. here. Steel case Tula / Wolf $8.99 - $9.99 here. Different economies / different wholesalers? Am thinking Remington's still floating and testing the waters to some degree on ammo. Having so much ammo produced by realistically one huge producer that owns Remington likely has it's constraints as well as advantages. Shotgun shells just recently started flying off the shelves around here in the last month. They're as bare as centerfire and rimfire ammo now. Same as you in hoping for the best.

The prices on line of shotgun shells has dramatically increased in the last 2 months. Certain kinds, particularly 12 gauge 00B and slugs, have been nearly impossible to find on the shelves around here for a long time. You can still find target loads at some of the local Farm and Home type stores if you're fast and check often, but the regular gun stores, when they have them, charge a premium for those too.

The prices on line of shotgun shells has dramatically increased in the last 2 months. Certain kinds, particularly 12 gauge 00B and slugs, have been nearly impossible to find on the shelves around here for a long time. You can still find target loads at some of the local Farm and Home type stores if you're fast and check often, but the regular gun stores, when they have them, charge a premium for those too.
Could very well be on shotgun shell prices. Usually have enough on hand at any given time.
Haven't needed in long time, so hadn't really checked out prices or availability in months.
Pretty hard to miss empty shelves.

Could very well be on shotgun shell prices. Usually have enough on hand at any given time.
Haven't needed in long time, so hadn't really checked out prices or availability in months.
Pretty hard to miss empty shelves.
I never have enough but I probably go through between 500 and 2000 a month typically. Of course not lately.

Back