testtest

My Caliber Crisis: Do I Need a 10mm?

I've been curious about 10mm for awhile, but I'm hesitant to take on a new cartridge. I like to keep at least 500 rounds of any cartridge that I shoot frequently. That got expensive to maintain during the worst parts of the ammo shortage.

I'd actually like to downsize by a few calibers. I only have a couple .40 S&W handguns, one .308 rifle, and one 30-30 rifle. Those are the calibers I'm most likely to eliminate, but I'm too fond of a few of those guns to make the leap. At this rate I'll consider myself lucky if I can avoid buying a .327 Federal revolver or levergun.
Finding ammo can be a biggie right now. Have only seen one single 50 rnd box of 10mm in over a year. Nice part was only $10 at LGS. Finding .327 ammo and it's variants is or has been easier.

I have a .44 Mag, several .357s, and several more .45ACPs. Do I need a 10mm? No. Do I want one? Not particularly. Just "another mouth to feed." If I wanted another 1911 chambering, I'd play with .38 Super, which looks like fun.

Now if I lived in Alaska, then I might need a 10mm.
The Polar bear threat in Ohio isn't what it used to be........:). But i just love the way the hotter 10mm rnds feel in the 1911 platform.. But yea...it's a range toy..

Depends…

Personally I’ve been infatuated w/the 10mm since the old “Norma 10mm” days back in the 80’s/90’s.

10mm is some added assurance against would be bad guys/girls behind barriers, and even against most 4 legged creatures if you find yourself “outdoors” and away from it all.

But in an EDC gun, that’s a little much in my opinion. Over penetration will be an issue. But hey… IT’S A FREE COUNTRY (well, most of it is) and if that’s your thing, so be it!

Nothing feels like knowing you have several rounds of 10mm on your person ready to dispatch whatever may come your way, two legged OR four legged. Just be ready for what’s beyond the intended target cause more than likely it’s headed that way after passing thru Joe Knucklehead.

Back