testtest

My Caliber Crisis: Do I Need a 10mm?

BobM

Hellcat

Frank 2041

Operator
I looked for a Kimber Rapide in 45acp for a while.. Had my LGS order me one, it came in as a 10mm. I went ahead and bought it anyway. I'm so glad i did.. I have other 1911s in 45, and love the 10mm. Range ammo dosn't feel much different than a 45. But if you step up to some Hydra shoks, or Hornady XTPs.. You can really feel the xtra horsepower...

Frank 2041

Operator
With my age and health issues, I'm not interested in starting a new caliber.
Lately i have been thinking about simplifying my caliber situation.. So what do i enjoy shooting the most.. 45acp/45lc/10mm/ 30/30/..... what are my CC tupperware guns 9mm/40. Everybody should have an AR and stock up on 223/556. I guess i could weed out 357mag, but i love my stainless Blackhawk............ NEVERMIND....Dangit..

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
Lately i have been thinking about simplifying my caliber situation.. So what do i enjoy shooting the most.. 45acp/45lc/10mm/ 30/30/..... what are my CC tupperware guns 9mm/40. Everybody should have an AR and stock up on 223/556. I guess i could weed out 357mag, but i love my stainless Blackhawk............ NEVERMIND....Dangit..
Hey, if you have .357 Mag ammunition you're giving away I can give you my address :)

Sld1959

Professional
I downsized last year to 357/38 and 380 acp. Mostly due to hand problems for both my wife and myself.

Now seeing all the sweet 9mm 1911 options, mostly thanks to you gentlemen, I have been fighting this want vs need thing myself.

Snake45

Master Class
I have a .44 Mag, several .357s, and several more .45ACPs. Do I need a 10mm? No. Do I want one? Not particularly. Just "another mouth to feed." If I wanted another 1911 chambering, I'd play with .38 Super, which looks like fun.

Now if I lived in Alaska, then I might need a 10mm.

Jimbo

Elite
I would love to get a 10 mm; but I don't think it would be useful for me. A few weeks ago I rented a .45 ACP at the range, just to try it out - my first time ever to shoot a .45. I didn't feel hardly any recoil; but the gun bounced up every time I shot it - took a couple of seconds to line up and get off the next shot. I'm thinking that I would have that same experience with a 10 mm.

I concluded from that experience that, although it was fun to shoot, it would take too much time to line up the next shot, so I'll stick with my 9 mm.

Bassbob

SAINT
I would love to get a 10 mm; but I don't think it would be useful for me. A few weeks ago I rented a .45 ACP at the range, just to try it out - my first time ever to shoot a .45. I didn't feel hardly any recoil; but the gun bounced up every time I shot it - took a couple of seconds to line up and get off the next shot. I'm thinking that I would have that same experience with a 10 mm.

I concluded from that experience that, although it was fun to shoot, it would take too much time to line up the next shot, so I'll stick with my 9 mm.
I did that in reverse. I bought my first 9mm maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I have always been a .45 guy. Controlling muzzle rise isn't something I thought consciously about since I have been training with them for decades. It is definitely less of an issue with a 9mm.

Strange fact. One of the .45s that suffers the least from it is the 3.3" Shield. Seems like it should be the worst.

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
I have a .44 Mag, several .357s, and several more .45ACPs. Do I need a 10mm? No. Do I want one? Not particularly. Just "another mouth to feed." If I wanted another 1911 chambering, I'd play with .38 Super, which looks like fun.

Now if I lived in Alaska, then I might need a 10mm.
I would like to find one to go with my S&W 610, but nothing in my shop for awhile.

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
I really wonder why Smith built that on the N frame. If they'd put it on the L frame, I'd have had to have one.
Yea, it’s a bit bulky, but will last several lifetimes I’m guessing. I have been waiting on a Ronin 10mm, my shop had one in 9mm, but I already have a 9mm 1911, and XDm’s are few and far in between, when my shop gets anything from Springfield, they don’t last long.

Last edited:

wmg1299

Professional
I've been curious about 10mm for awhile, but I'm hesitant to take on a new cartridge. I like to keep at least 500 rounds of any cartridge that I shoot frequently. That got expensive to maintain during the worst parts of the ammo shortage.

I'd actually like to downsize by a few calibers. I only have a couple .40 S&W handguns, one .308 rifle, and one 30-30 rifle. Those are the calibers I'm most likely to eliminate, but I'm too fond of a few of those guns to make the leap. At this rate I'll consider myself lucky if I can avoid buying a .327 Federal revolver or levergun.