testtest

My Caliber Crisis: Do I Need a 10mm?

Hello all, here is an article for discussion that was previously posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "My Caliber Crisis: Do I Need a 10mm?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/my-caliber-crisis-do-i-need-a-10mm/.

Thanks for the good read Mike,
The 10mm 1911 RO looks fantastic and sounds great!
- May have to pick one up when available.
In the chart, loved the 45ACP "God" ammo. ....45ACP's not going down w/o a good fight? :)

I looked for a Kimber Rapide in 45acp for a while.. Had my LGS order me one, it came in as a 10mm. I went ahead and bought it anyway. I'm so glad i did.. I have other 1911s in 45, and love the 10mm. Range ammo dosn't feel much different than a 45. But if you step up to some Hydra shoks, or Hornady XTPs.. You can really feel the xtra horsepower...

With my age and health issues, I'm not interested in starting a new caliber.
Lately i have been thinking about simplifying my caliber situation.. So what do i enjoy shooting the most.. 45acp/45lc/10mm/ 30/30/..... what are my CC tupperware guns 9mm/40. Everybody should have an AR and stock up on 223/556. I guess i could weed out 357mag, but i love my stainless Blackhawk............ NEVERMIND....Dangit..

Lately i have been thinking about simplifying my caliber situation.. So what do i enjoy shooting the most.. 45acp/45lc/10mm/ 30/30/..... what are my CC tupperware guns 9mm/40. Everybody should have an AR and stock up on 223/556. I guess i could weed out 357mag, but i love my stainless Blackhawk............ NEVERMIND....Dangit..
Hey, if you have .357 Mag ammunition you're giving away I can give you my address :)

I downsized last year to 357/38 and 380 acp. Mostly due to hand problems for both my wife and myself.

Now seeing all the sweet 9mm 1911 options, mostly thanks to you gentlemen, I have been fighting this want vs need thing myself.

I have a .44 Mag, several .357s, and several more .45ACPs. Do I need a 10mm? No. Do I want one? Not particularly. Just "another mouth to feed." If I wanted another 1911 chambering, I'd play with .38 Super, which looks like fun.

Now if I lived in Alaska, then I might need a 10mm.

I would love to get a 10 mm; but I don't think it would be useful for me. A few weeks ago I rented a .45 ACP at the range, just to try it out - my first time ever to shoot a .45. I didn't feel hardly any recoil; but the gun bounced up every time I shot it - took a couple of seconds to line up and get off the next shot. I'm thinking that I would have that same experience with a 10 mm.

I concluded from that experience that, although it was fun to shoot, it would take too much time to line up the next shot, so I'll stick with my 9 mm.

I would love to get a 10 mm; but I don't think it would be useful for me. A few weeks ago I rented a .45 ACP at the range, just to try it out - my first time ever to shoot a .45. I didn't feel hardly any recoil; but the gun bounced up every time I shot it - took a couple of seconds to line up and get off the next shot. I'm thinking that I would have that same experience with a 10 mm.

I concluded from that experience that, although it was fun to shoot, it would take too much time to line up the next shot, so I'll stick with my 9 mm.
I did that in reverse. I bought my first 9mm maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I have always been a .45 guy. Controlling muzzle rise isn't something I thought consciously about since I have been training with them for decades. It is definitely less of an issue with a 9mm.

Strange fact. One of the .45s that suffers the least from it is the 3.3" Shield. Seems like it should be the worst.

I have a .44 Mag, several .357s, and several more .45ACPs. Do I need a 10mm? No. Do I want one? Not particularly. Just "another mouth to feed." If I wanted another 1911 chambering, I'd play with .38 Super, which looks like fun.

Now if I lived in Alaska, then I might need a 10mm.
I would like to find one to go with my S&W 610, but nothing in my shop for awhile.

I really wonder why Smith built that on the N frame. If they'd put it on the L frame, I'd have had to have one.
Yea, it’s a bit bulky, but will last several lifetimes I’m guessing. I have been waiting on a Ronin 10mm, my shop had one in 9mm, but I already have a 9mm 1911, and XDm’s are few and far in between, when my shop gets anything from Springfield, they don’t last long.

Last edited:
I've been curious about 10mm for awhile, but I'm hesitant to take on a new cartridge. I like to keep at least 500 rounds of any cartridge that I shoot frequently. That got expensive to maintain during the worst parts of the ammo shortage.

I'd actually like to downsize by a few calibers. I only have a couple .40 S&W handguns, one .308 rifle, and one 30-30 rifle. Those are the calibers I'm most likely to eliminate, but I'm too fond of a few of those guns to make the leap. At this rate I'll consider myself lucky if I can avoid buying a .327 Federal revolver or levergun.

Back