testtest

My first Garand - A snipah

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
Just picked up this beauty. I own multiple hundreds of guns and can you believe I have never owned a Garand or M1A. How about this one for my first? Plus I got a full bandolier full of magazines and 30-06. (Joke since everyone calls mags clips). And a Springfield for my first Garand to boot. Ok so you Garand experts what do I got here and what should I look for?

F39BDC78-7A6D-4AC5-BB8B-1EBA8641FFBE.jpeg

49DA944A-BAC9-4EBB-B0FF-148327E137A6.jpeg

21F83621-B04A-4060-8141-9B778B3329D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Just picked up this beauty. I own multiple hundreds of guns and can you believe I have never owned a Garand or M1A. How about this one for my first? Plus I got a full bandolier full of magazines and 30-06. (Joke since everyone calls mags clips). And a Springfield for my first Garand to boot. Ok so you Garand experts what do I got here and what should I look for?

View attachment 30742

View attachment 30743

View attachment 30744
This website will give all markings for serial numbers on all parts.
Look for period matching parts.
Such as a rifle with a serial number made in July 1944 should have all parts numbered to match production within a few months before/during that date.
Trigger group, receiver, internal parts, all stamped with a code. That code should have SA in it now that this rifle you have is an SA rifle.

Here is the website with all the codes and great resource.

Congrats !! Its a beauty!!!

Also, lots of Garands were refurbished by the Army for Korea and use again for other Army needs at their Arsenals in the mid ‘40s thru early ‘50s.
Those rifles will have a stamp on the left side of the stock to denote that. The barrel will also have a date stamp on the side by the slide that demotes if it was rebarreled at the Arsenal. Which was not uncommon for war rifles

Your rifle barrel is 6-47 stamped, so it was sent back to an Arsenal to be rebarreled sometime in mid-late ‘47 if I have my data correct

Last edited:

View attachment 30742

View attachment 30743

View attachment 30744
Very nice.

Nice will order, cheap inshurance
Sorry to tell you it's not a real M1D. Someone took a regular barrel and made it into a "D" barrel. It's likely the barrel scope mount block is a repo and the flash hider is as well. Probably the cheek pad also. At this point all the "D" related items are suspect.
However the rifle itself looks good and has quite a few WW2 parts on it... so thats a plus.

Also, lots of Garands were refurbished by the Army for Korea and use again for other Army needs at their Arsenals in the mid ‘40s thru early ‘50s.
Those rifles will have a stamp on the left side of the stock to denote that. The barrel will also have a date stamp on the side by the slide that demotes if it was rebarreled at the Arsenal. Which was not uncommon for war rifles

Your rifle barrel is 6-47 stamped, so it was sent back to an Arsenal to be rebarreled sometime in mid-late ‘47 if I have my data correct
The date is for when the BARREL was made...not installed. There are no 1947 "D" barrels. It's a fake barrel.

The date is for when the BARREL was made...not installed. There are no 1947 "D" barrels. It's a fake barrel.
Correct
A 6-47 is when the barrel was made .. lots of data shows barrels were made by the manufacturers into the late 40’s. To accommodate refurbishment and army level depots.

Btw l.. welcome to the forum.

Settle down a bit…

ALL your posts have been aggressive
Chill out

Correct
A 6-47 is when the barrel was made .. lots of data shows barrels were made by the manufacturers into the late 40’s. To accommodate refurbishment and army level depots.

Btw l.. welcome to the forum.

Settle down a bit…

ALL your posts have been aggressive
Chill out
Chill? I'm extremely chill...

Only one manufacturer was making barrels into the late 40s. Springfield armory.

The one feature that perked up my interest was the rear iron sight. I have read that nearly all sight blocks were changed out post war, and yours looks very different than mine. I think there were 3-4 different rear sight blocks prior to the last one made/issued during retrofit, and yours is NOT the last one (most common) made. Any rear sight that is different than the last one made is extraordinarily rare, so I've read. Not that you care, being a scoped rifle anyway!

The one feature that perked up my interest was the rear iron sight. I have read that nearly all sight blocks were changed out post war, and yours looks very different than mine. I think there were 3-4 different rear sight blocks prior to the last one made/issued during retrofit, and yours is NOT the last one (most common) made. Any rear sight that is different than the last one made is extraordinarily rare, so I've read. Not that you care, being a scoped rifle anyway!
Nice thats good to know

Back