testtest

My Unpopular Opinion: Don’t Customize Your Gun

That was one of the best articles I've read in a LONG time. The author carefully detailed not only WHY but HOW he came to his conclusion--one that I've shared since shortly after I "finished" my first full-custom 1911 back in the mid-'70s. :oops:

Unpopular opinion? I simply don't care. Having achieved the status of Auld Phart, I have reached an AWESOME level of DGAF. For example, I spent the morning riding THIS around my neighborhood. It's an all-original, unmodified, unmolested, unrestored, barn-find '74 Schwinn StingRay. I've discovered to my delight that it's almost a guaranteed conversation-starter and new-friend-maker wherever I ride it. And anybody who thinks I look stupid or silly on it can just kiss my ass. ;):LOL:

View attachment 39530
View attachment 39531
All you need is a scabbard and your good to go.

On the other hand, upgrading and swapping out parts taught me a lot about my rifle that I wouldn't have learned (or learned as quickly or as well) had I not done all the things. Is it easier to buy a rifle already "upgraded?" Sure, but sometimes it's better (and maybe even more fun) to do it yourself.

+1. I'm a bicycle enthusiast and have a long history of frame up builds, swapping of parts, what have you. People often think I somehow save money, but that's not often the case and what I'm really getting from all that is exactly what you talk about--the knowledge, the ability to do my own repairs and maintenance on my own schedule, the fun of changing things up, and just the general satisfaction and pride from a job well done.

People who work hard for their money should be able to spend their money on whatever gun they want and do to their gun whatever they want and what makes them happy instead of what makes others happy or worrying about what a firearm article has to say about it. I guess this can be applied to everything in life.

That said, the one and only time I care about what others are doing with their firearms is when they defile and bubba a limit supply classic firearm. The gun Gods have a special place in hell for those savages.

Last edited:
+1. I'm a bicycle enthusiast and have a long history of frame up builds, swapping of parts, what have you. People often think I somehow save money, but that's not often the case and what I'm really getting from all that is exactly what you talk about--the knowledge, the ability to do my own repairs and maintenance on my own schedule, the fun of changing things up, and just the general satisfaction and pride from a job well done.
The average nimrod doesn't get it

Back