testtest

My Unpopular Opinion: Don’t Customize Your Gun

If I find something that is going to give me an extra edge on a carry gun, I will use it. Every advantage I can get is more important than worrying about some imaginary bogeyman lawyer questioning what kind of trigger I have. I am also in a very 2A state with pre-emption laws and all that, but I still have yet to have anyone, anywhere give me an example of it being a problem.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “My Unpopular Opinion: Don’t Customize Your Gun” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/my-unpopular-opinion-dont-customize-your-gun/.

I'm going to have to chime in supporting this idea - to a point. I only have one AR at the moment, a Ruger AR-556. I got it for the bargain basement price of $499 (pre-pandemic) and that included the free-floating handguard. After getting Ruger to fix a jamming issue, I played around with some of the mods the author is talking about in the article. My AR now has a Geissele trigger, a Radian BCG and charging handle, Magpul pop-up sights, grip, stock, bipod, foregrip, and QD point on the handguard for the Blue Alpha 2-point sling, VG6 Precision gamma muzzle break, a Noveske QD plate (whatever it's called) for the other end of the sling - because I just wanted something "Noveske" on my rifle - and a Primary Arms 8x24 scope with illuminated ACSS reticle. Basically, I turned my $500 rifle - which was perfectly serviceable (albeit without sights/optic) into an $1100 or $1200 rifle.

All that is to say, he has a point. At the time, I probably could've bought as good a rifle for $800 out of the box and added the optic and sling. On the other hand, upgrading and swapping out parts taught me a lot about my rifle that I wouldn't have learned (or learned as quickly or as well) had I not done all the things. Is it easier to buy a rifle already "upgraded?" Sure, but sometimes it's better (and maybe even more fun) to do it yourself.

I'm going to have to chime in supporting this idea - to a point. I only have one AR at the moment, a Ruger AR-556. I got it for the bargain basement price of $499 (pre-pandemic) and that included the free-floating handguard. After getting Ruger to fix a jamming issue, I played around with some of the mods the author is talking about in the article. My AR now has a Geissele trigger, a Radian BCG and charging handle, Magpul pop-up sights, grip, stock, bipod, foregrip, and QD point on the handguard for the Blue Alpha 2-point sling, VG6 Precision gamma muzzle break, a Noveske QD plate (whatever it's called) for the other end of the sling - because I just wanted something "Noveske" on my rifle - and a Primary Arms 8x24 scope with illuminated ACSS reticle. Basically, I turned my $500 rifle - which was perfectly serviceable (albeit without sights/optic) into an $1100 or $1200 rifle.

All that is to say, he has a point. At the time, I probably could've bought as good a rifle for $800 out of the box and added the optic and sling. On the other hand, upgrading and swapping out parts taught me a lot about my rifle that I wouldn't have learned (or learned as quickly or as well) had I not done all the things. Is it easier to buy a rifle already "upgraded?" Sure, but sometimes it's better (and maybe even more fun) to do it yourself.

Just for show and tell - here's the "used to be" $500 AR :geek:

Ruger AR556.png

I like to think that you now have a $2000 rifle for $1150 instead of the way you're thinking about it. You aren't getting "as good" of an AR15 for $800, and there typically isn't much of a difference between a $500-$800 AR15 other than paying extra for name recognition.

If you were to buy a factory AR with all the upgrades you listed already added, it'll cost way more than $800 and maybe even more than $1100. If you purchased an $800 rifle out the box, it would come with a worse trigger, changing handle, muzzle device, etc.

Plus $500 was pre COVID prices.

Last edited:
I like to think that you now have a $2000 rifle for $1150 instead of the way you're thinking about it. You aren't getting "as good" of an AR15 for $800, and there typically isn't much of a difference between a $500-$800 AR15 other than paying extra for name recognition.

If you were to buy a factory AR with all the upgrades you listed already added, it'll cost way more than $800 and maybe even more than $1100. If you purchased an $800 rifle out the box, it would come with a worse trigger, changing handle, muzzle device, etc.

Plus $500 was pre COVID prices.
That's true. But marketing is a powerful thing and it "sounds" reasonable that if I pay $1,800 or more for a Daniel Defense AR, I'm getting a great rifle out of the box, of course, I still have to add optics and any other doo-dads I felt were necessary. Honestly, I like my Ruger AR-556. It shoots well, the Primary Arms optic is great, so I'll call it a successful (partial) build :)

That's true. But marketing is a powerful thing and it "sounds" reasonable that if I pay $1,800 or more for a Daniel Defense AR, I'm getting a great rifle out of the box, of course, I still have to add optics and any other doo-dads I felt were necessary. Honestly, I like my Ruger AR-556. It shoots well, the Primary Arms optic is great, so I'll call it a successful (partial) build :)
There is a distinction to be made between an AR that runs well and an AR that runs great and is exactly the way you would build it. I have a few ARs that I put together kinda on the cheap. And they run well. They have the stocks and grips and optics I wanted. Then I have my first, which is an off the shelf Adams Arms VI Witch Doctor ( which I swapped the stock and grip and trigger on and added my choice of optic and BUIS). It runs well too. But everyone deserves to at least have one that runs great and is precisely the way you want it and is of very high quality. I built mine around a Wilson Combat Ranger upper. To buy that rifle "Off the shelf" from Wilson it will come with a stock I don't want, a grip I don't want and a trigger I don't want and no optic or sights and it will cost $2600. Mine has all that stuff. And it's the exact stuff I want. I got about $1700 in it.

Hmm, a bit of a mixed bag of mods or no mods, to keep the original format the gun came in. Went with a IWI Tavor and had to use the Mepro red dot because it too is Israel and weapon accurate. With the Saint Victor, LPVO, nothing more. The WWI and WWII and Soviet SKS, original all the way, no brakes, no muzzle devices. No changes to the post 94 ban guns (that is a hard one not to return to common sense). Pre-ban left alone as well, in original configuration.

Death motto's, skulls, notches or whatever on none of them... Ones I have built, different story, but conservative to there intended function. Thus removable blast deflectors for the obnoxious muzzle devices for the cans. Trigger changes on the Range Toys only, but defense guns will remain mil-spec.

Ammo deserves a mention as well. In that reloads/hand-loads are for practice and target only, for the same reasons as mods. Could be viewed as some miracle enhancement to kill with a weapon doing what it intended to do, more efficiently than Society or stacked Jury deems acceptable...

As far as bolted on a scope that cost more than the rifle, well kinda guilty as it sometimes equals...
I'm with you on this. As I quickly approach 65 years young, I "usually" prefer function over form. I enjoy looking at different firearms and accessories but I prefer to keep my carry tools stock for the most part.

I think there are some accessories that can dramatically improve your ability to safely use a firearm(Adding Hogue grips to my S&W 638 Bodyguard made it a much easier handgun to handle and shoot accurately. And I didn't lose much in the form of concealability..:)).

I recently acquired a Ruger AR 556 and there sure are a lot of accessories for it. I've resisted the temptation to spend money on it so far. Though I don't think I'll be able to avoid purchasing a Magpul sling for it for much longer...:) The question is do I mount the front part of the sling by the front site or on the M-lok hand guard...:)

I think it's a good time to be a responsible gun owner. Lots more choices at decent prices especially here in Texas...:)

There's also a lot of good pellet gun and pellet rifle choices if you want to target shoot without having to drive out to gun range. I like the quietness that pellet guns/rifles afford, not to mention how inexpensive .177 or .22 caliber pellets are. Plus if you get single shot versions you can work on accuracy and trigger control for very little money. Pellet gun technology has come a long way.

I'm with you on this. As I quickly approach 65 years young, I "usually" prefer function over form. I enjoy looking at different firearms and accessories but I prefer to keep my carry tools stock for the most part.

I think there are some accessories that can dramatically improve your ability to safely use a firearm(Adding Hogue grips to my S&W 638 Bodyguard made it a much easier handgun to handle and shoot accurately. And I didn't lose much in the form of concealability..:)).

I recently acquired a Ruger AR 556 and there sure are a lot of accessories for it. I've resisted the temptation to spend money on it so far. Though I don't think I'll be able to avoid purchasing a Magpul sling for it for much longer...:) The question is do I mount the front part of the sling by the front site or on the M-lok hand guard...:)

I think it's a good time to be a responsible gun owner. Lots more choices at decent prices especially here in Texas...:)

There's also a lot of good pellet gun and pellet rifle choices if you want to target shoot without having to drive out to gun range. I like the quietness that pellet guns/rifles afford, not to mention how inexpensive .177 or .22 caliber pellets are. Plus if you get single shot versions you can work on accuracy and trigger control for very little money. Pellet gun technology has come a long way.
I have found on the mounting of a sling of which all the weapons have and I do prefer two point over single point. The stock mounting is easy, the other side from my face. The forward mounts vary based on where my hand falls and if there is a device like a forward grip or stop. The good thing is with M-LOK you have options and even to mount Picatinny. I have sometimes found right in-between works. Get a nice sling that adjusts quickly with one hand and have gotten some inexpensive knock-offs, but you get what ya pay for... Next is optics as the ole eyes start getting worse and that is like starting over again.

Everyone uses one example from decades ago that if they looked into it they’d know it fell on its face when it was initially brought up and the initial argument didn’t even make it out of the courtroom that day. It’s fudd lore and design or personal taste (or lack there of) doesn’t initiate action or intent. The “Smile, wait for flash” engraving on the crown of a barrel doesn’t show intent or personality traits other than an odd sense of humor and doesn’t incriminate the owner of the weapon in any way. Now if you’re putting racist or antisemitic things on a weapon it’s not a good idea but again it’s not illegal (1st amendment) but it wouldn’t exactly help your case if you ever got in trouble using that firearm. It’s not incriminating in and of itself but it would lead to an attorney digging into your background and history to show a trend in behavior.
Hmm, 1st Amendment, well I have seen a few appeals based on implied racism, even when there was none. But the media had a field day and couple careers falsely tarnished regardless, as they have no respect. Now with the easy ability of the State to stack a Jury based on legal and illegally seized e-mail and posts during selection process, not so sure I would hang my hat on that not being compromised...

I resemble that remark... But removed the Irons, hated to but the back didn't fit and I haven't warmed up to the 45 degree mounts, just too much for this old fart. The ACSS awesome.
Yeah, I'm looking at it thinking, why even have those on there... but if the optic dies, I can take it off and still have something... (y)

There is a distinction to be made between an AR that runs well and an AR that runs great and is exactly the way you would build it. I have a few ARs that I put together kinda on the cheap. And they run well. They have the stocks and grips and optics I wanted. Then I have my first, which is an off the shelf Adams Arms VI Witch Doctor ( which I swapped the stock and grip and trigger on and added my choice of optic and BUIS). It runs well too. But everyone deserves to at least have one that runs great and is precisely the way you want it and is of very high quality. I built mine around a Wilson Combat Ranger upper. To buy that rifle "Off the shelf" from Wilson it will come with a stock I don't want, a grip I don't want and a trigger I don't want and no optic or sights and it will cost $2600. Mine has all that stuff. And it's the exact stuff I want. I got about $1700 in it.
That sounds nice... every time I think about getting another rifle or building one, I just think to myself, 'better to wait for the one you want than just getting one just to get one.'

I'd like my next one to be a 300 blackout SBR with a top-drawer suppressor. I hear people talk about "battle" rifles or rifles that are superior for CQB (which I hope it never comes to in my house), but I've shot one like I describe above and it was the sweetest thing I've ever shot. Lightweight, dead quiet, practically no recoil - that's a build worth waiting for.

I have found on the mounting of a sling of which all the weapons have and I do prefer two point over single point. The stock mounting is easy, the other side from my face. The forward mounts vary based on where my hand falls and if there is a device like a forward grip or stop. The good thing is with M-LOK you have options and even to mount Picatinny. I have sometimes found right in-between works. Get a nice sling that adjusts quickly with one hand and have gotten some inexpensive knock-offs, but you get what ya pay for... Next is optics as the ole eyes start getting worse and that is like starting over again.
I added a 2 point sling to the Ruger AR 556 I recently got. I had the sling laying around from one of the old hunting rifles I no longer have. The sling seems of good quality and it makes the Ruger easier to carry. I am a fan of rifle slings and most of my rifles have them in the past. I don't have many rifles any more.

We learned how to use and set up "hasty" slings when I was in the Marine Corps in the late 1970's. And I've set up the Ruger AR sling for that purpose. I've used hasty sling setups on most of my rifles and it's always worked pretty well for me in helping me be accurate and secure the rifle close to my body.

I might eventually get a newer sling for the Ruger AR but we'll see. The sling I have now seems to work pretty good. I need to see if a Rossi Pump Action 22 I have has sling mounts. If it does I'll move the sling I have on the Ruger over to it and buy a Magpul sling for the Ruger(since the Ruger AR 556 is the Magpul version and has Magpul gun grip and handguards...:))

I'm trying to keep the Ruger AR 556 pretty stock. Aside from a forend grip and sling, I'm going to try to leave it alone. I don't need a fancy rifle set up any more as I live in a small town. I only got the Ruger for when I'm down near the border and need extra firepower, which isn't often.

I added a 2 point sling to the Ruger AR 556 I recently got. I had the sling laying around from one of the old hunting rifles I no longer have. The sling seems of good quality and it makes the Ruger easier to carry. I am a fan of rifle slings and most of my rifles have them in the past. I don't have many rifles any more.

We learned how to use and set up "hasty" slings when I was in the Marine Corps in the late 1970's. And I've set up the Ruger AR sling for that purpose. I've used hasty sling setups on most of my rifles and it's always worked pretty well for me in helping me be accurate and secure the rifle close to my body.

I might eventually get a newer sling for the Ruger AR but we'll see. The sling I have now seems to work pretty good. I need to see if a Rossi Pump Action 22 I have has sling mounts. If it does I'll move the sling I have on the Ruger over to it and buy a Magpul sling for the Ruger(since the Ruger AR 556 is the Magpul version and has Magpul gun grip and handguards...:))

I'm trying to keep the Ruger AR 556 pretty stock. Aside from a forend grip and sling, I'm going to try to leave it alone. I don't need a fancy rifle set up any more as I live in a small town. I only got the Ruger for when I'm down near the border and need extra firepower, which isn't often.
I have Magpul MS-1s on all my carbines.

I don't use the slings as much now since most shooting is off a bench on a range restricting any movement for safety reasons. But when something is amiss somewhere on the Farm in the middle of the night, the ole sling is nice to have for the time it takes to check things out, As for furniture, yeah it has come a long way from my early days...

Yeah, I'm looking at it thinking, why even have those on there... but if the optic dies, I can take it off and still have something... (y)
True, as they are built in on the Bullpup, but I would have to release the quick disconnect and pop-em up. However a couple are Tritium powered and thus a failure would have to be pretty bad as there is no battery. The AR's, a different story with the LPVO and such. I am a anti-clutter guy and all that kit hanging everywhere just makes the weapon heavier every year... IMHO

WTH, no light? That and the scope and you could have had twins...
Yeah, I haven't gone down the weapon light rabbit hole. If I have to bust that out in the dark, things have really gone south! In my defense, we have enough Scentsy burners in the house that I can see pretty well with no lights on at night. That and the illuminated reticle and I'm pretty sure I can put rounds on target.

Reactions: CEW
Back