testtest

My XDS45 Mod2 Issue

For all that have contributed, I thank you.

I really am inclined to think the mags are the culprit. For the post about his 40 cal XDS, and others that have shared XDS comments, they've been appreciated. But the XDS 45 Mod 2 uses a different magazine. The original XDS mag will not fit due to the band / collar spacer at the bottom of the mag. The Mod 2 uses a slightly different band. This prevents the original XDS mag from even fitting and locking in (I tried one at the store before bringing this home. They don't work) the magwell on the Mod2. I think I need to have a conversation with Springfield CS to see if they can enlighten me. Anything I find informative, I will be happy to share.

Thanks again.

I have a newer XDS45 / 3.3 Mod 2 and it seems to be having some feeding issues that I'm not sure is magazine or ammo. I'm shooting white box Winchester (I know, but it was a deal) and it seems to be on maybe the third round, I get a misfeed. I've tried three magazine to try to isolate if this is a magazine issue. I take a misfed round, insert it in a different magazine and it cycles fine. Then that mag may misfeed when reloaded.

I have an XD45 that cycles the ammo just fine with no misfeeds - even some of the rounds that misfed.

I'm not sure if the mags are out of shape. They're all new OEM mags.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated (other than buy a Glock, if thats what you fangirls have to say)
I had a Star 9mm same type of problem and a old gunsmith gave me a piece of crocus cloth and said polish your ramp with this and after 100rds and some sore fingers it fed perfect, sometimes a little fluff and buff does wonders.

Hahaha.
I thought of that as a possible, but lack of umpf isn't it's issue. I bounce shells of the ceiling of the covered range station and get hit in the head with them. It will launch shells two stations away. I have to be careful and usually hang a net between me and shooters on the right of me
That’s extraction and ejection, has nothing to do with the slides return. We are taking about two opposite forces.

Hi All.
First, let me thank you all again for suggestions on what may have been causing the misfeed problem I was experiencing with my XDS Mod 2.

I had sent my firearm in for Springfield to check out. I received my notification today (not quite 3 weeks later - pretty fast in my opinion) that repairs are completed and it will be on it's way shortly. When I asked what the problem was, the invoice noted that the slide was re-cut. Further information supplied was that the bullet guide had to be re-cut to allow for more clearance when the rounds are feeding into the chamber.

So, while we all had a guess on what the problem was, this is one I certainly wasn't expecting.

I'll let you all know how it runs after receiving and firing it at the range.

Glad that your problem was solved and IMO Springfield has always had good customer service. I will make a suggestion and in doing so I will more than likely step in it. I have shot 45acp over a lot of years and to date I still shoot the original load which is a 200gr bullet and the results have always been best for me. I don't shoot +P in any caliber as when you jack up a load it is hard on the weapon and as you get older its hard on old hands which I have abused enough so don't need to add to the problem and heavy hot loads in compacts and subs make it shooting more brutal and again I have had enough beatings in my many years. I shoot 200gr jhps and they preform well for me in my 60plus years of using and is comfortable plus being quick to get back on target, my of ammo is Israeli die cut 200gr hp and I bet my life on them.

A lot of people have reacted to a previous comment I made about having shot +P in this gun. Not a steady diet of +P. It was only as a "try it out" to feel how the gun would like them. For what it's worth - it liked them! Was just nice to know how well they shot for when it's employed as an EDC.

My usual choice is Hornady Critical Defense in my 9mm Walther or my XDS 45. They are an ugly round ;)

So...received my XDS from SA after "warranty repair" on Monday.
Went to the range Tuesday morning. Re-boxed and returned the XDS Jammo-Matic back to SA Tuesday afternoon to look at it again.

While SA has been great on service under warranty, I have really lost any warm and fuzzy feeling for this gun. No confidence in carrying this as an EDC for self-protection, unless I hand it to the assailant. Then at least I know they can't shoot me. I've resigned myself to trying to get as much as I can on a trade for a new gun.

Looking at a Sig 365 (although a bit bigger) or a Kimber Micro 1911. If anyone has any other suggestions on a reliable concealed carry 45, I'm all ears

That’s extraction and ejection, has nothing to do with the slides return. We are taking about two opposite forces.
The recoil spring also helps slow down the slide during extraction so its being weakened might lead to brass flying over to the next county, then lacking force to reliably load the next round.

I really am at a loss. I always seem to logic it being related to a hang in the mags. The rounds now consistently jam nose up. Before they recut the slide, the rounds could be either nose up or nose down. Flat spring tension changes between 2nd and 3rd round. Don't know if the mags sag when tension changes as round are fed or the polymer flexes. The impression I'm starting to come away with is the XDS may have been designed to handle 9mm and do it well. When they came up with offering it in 45 cal, the poly frame simply does not handle it and shifts / flexes due to heavier recoil.

In any event - once it comes back, it will be gone. Useless to me if it's unreliable.

Well...received my XDS after another trip to Springfield for additional work. This time they replaced recoil spring and the mag release spring.

Took it to the range - consistent jam on the third magazine through the rest of my time on the range.

After the usual discussion (that includes me causing the problem), despite the first two mags thru not being a problem, and my first 150 rounds being trouble free, the XDS is going home to Springfield for keeps. I could rag about the gun, but I don't want to. I really loved the gun, despite it being unreliable. It was a really nice gun.

Also, can't trash Springfield.
Customer service was phenomenal in my dealings with them. I just don't think the XDS Mod 2 in a 45 cal has the beef to handle the stress that a 45 exerts on the gun.

I'll still shoot my XD 45 Tactical (love that gun) and remain happy

Well...received my XDS after another trip to Springfield for additional work. This time they replaced recoil spring and the mag release spring.

Took it to the range - consistent jam on the third magazine through the rest of my time on the range.

After the usual discussion (that includes me causing the problem), despite the first two mags thru not being a problem, and my first 150 rounds being trouble free, the XDS is going home to Springfield for keeps. I could rag about the gun, but I don't want to. I really loved the gun, despite it being unreliable. It was a really nice gun.

Also, can't trash Springfield.
Customer service was phenomenal in my dealings with them. I just don't think the XDS Mod 2 in a 45 cal has the beef to handle the stress that a 45 exerts on the gun.

I'll still shoot my XD 45 Tactical (love that gun) and remain happy
Ok, how is it going back to Springfield for keeps, they don’t take guns back and I highly doubt they will replace it, just curious

Yea, I know. I really loved all about the gun.
It should arrive tomorrow at Springfield. I'll post if anything is different than what I was told last week

Sorry...been remiss in posting on this again.

Returned the XDS and received a FULL refund on the gun and also on the additional mags purchased thru Springfield.
As someone previously stated, never heard of getting a manufacturer refund for a gun. But Springfield did refund it.
Totally impressed and could not ever bash them.

I really did like the gun, and if not for it's recurring issues, I would still have it. That being said, I'll again say that Springfield could not have been better to deal with on this. I only wished they could have run more mags thru the gun which would have likely triggered the problem so they could have corrected it once and for all. By the way - still love my XD 45 Tactical. A fantastic shooter!!

For what it's worth, the XDS replacement is a S&W Shield in 45 cal and it really is a nice gun. Like it much better that the S&W Shield 9mm I have. Their latest iteration has a much better trigger and it shoots very smooth.

Back