testtest

Mystery Ranch 2 Day Assault Pack: Multipurpose Pack for the Ages

Yeah, that pack isn't impressing me from the pictures.

I got a Rush72 a couple years ago for backpacking. Nice pack. I have no idea what makes a pack "tactical". I suspect it's just a marketing gimmick like every other "tactical" item. It does the same job as 50 other similar items for only twice the price because it says its "tactical." If it carries my stuff without falling apart and is comfortable to wear it's a winner.

Interesting concept, but does everything these days have to have the PAL/Molle webbing on it?

Not sure I would trust the "iconic Tri-Zip configuration" either, especially if the vertical zipper fails. You'd find any loose internal items possibly/more than likely falling out. Best have some 550 cord handy, and then use the external webbing to lace the pack front back together.

Just my two cents worth looking at the posted photos. ;)

I am in the market for a pack, but I don't need a 2 day "Tactical" pack. So I far I have searched all over for something I really like but have come up empty. I dislike everything 5.11 has ( I mean everything). There are some fairly acceptable things on Amazon but nothing quite gets me opening up my wallet. I really, REALLY like SOE gear. It's expensive, but it's top quality and well designed. Alas, even they don't really have a pack I want. They have more than a few rigs I like, but.....

I have three Mystery Ranch packs that I use for hunting (scouting, & the hunting pack = Selkirk model).

The two scouting packs (Scapegoat 25 & 35 (liters) model) would also serve in the role described in the article, and IMO are better than the 2/3-day MR packs due to additional features and characteristics.

Unfortunately, both models are discontinued.

BTW - The owner of Mystery Ranch is the same as the old Dana Design brand that he sold to a competitor then started up with Mystery Ranch (a Montana brand).

BTW2 - The title of "Pack for the Ages" is pretty overboard.

Last edited:
I am in the market for a pack, but I don't need a 2 day "Tactical" pack. So I far I have searched all over for something I really like but have come up empty. I dislike everything 5.11 has ( I mean everything). There are some fairly acceptable things on Amazon but nothing quite gets me opening up my wallet. I really, REALLY like SOE gear. It's expensive, but it's top quality and well designed. Alas, even they don't really have a pack I want. They have more than a few rigs I like, but.....

Agree about 5.11, Bob… I have found a handful of things that piqued my interest, and have a terrific belt from them, but on the whole they continually strike me as a quirky company…
There was/is a Co called Spec-Ops Brand that made a terrific heavy duty day pack, and I had two in Iraq. Not a lot of frills but it had the fundamental features I require: bottom dimensions slightly larger than top, and stands upright when u set it on the ground (no toppling over!)… shoulder straps connected direct to the back panel of the pack, ie no U-shape yoke/collar piece going around/over the back of the neck (makes me hot; waste of material, etc etc). A few other things. HEAVY duty material (1000 denier?). Removable sternum & waist straps.
only wish it had been top loading.

I don’t see much of Spec-Ops anymore; I think their hi quality may’ve priced them out from the competition. There’s so many junk choices…

I've purchased a few items from 5.11 Tactical and have no complaints so far. I used to purchase my gear from BassPro and Cabela's, so I'm not a gear officionado.

I purchased a Select Carry Sling Pack from 5.11 Tactical for short hikes in the wilderness refuge nearby. It has a detachable holster across the chest for concealed carry on the trail. It also doubles as a carryon for air travel.

I recently purchased a Rush LBD LIMA from 5.11 Tactical for road trips. I wanted something less cumbersome than a suitcase with wheels, and this load-bearing duffle is just what I was looking for. The build quality is pretty good too.

I'm a big fan of their Defender-Flex Straight Jeans. They look good and have the stretch you need for my concealed carry needs. I tossed my Wranglers after purchasing these.

I've purchased a few items from 5.11 Tactical and have no complaints so far. I used to purchase my gear from BassPro and Cabela's, so I'm not a gear officionado.

I purchased a Select Carry Sling Pack from 5.11 Tactical for short hikes in the wilderness refuge nearby. It has a detachable holster across the chest for concealed carry on the trail. It also doubles as a carryon for air travel.

I recently purchased a Rush LBD LIMA from 5.11 Tactical for road trips. I wanted something less cumbersome than a suitcase with wheels, and this load-bearing duffle is just what I was looking for. The build quality is pretty good too.

I'm a big fan of their Defender-Flex Straight Jeans. They look good and have the stretch you need for my concealed carry needs. I tossed my Wranglers after purchasing these.
I can buy 4 pairs of Wrangler spandex infused flex jeans for the price of one pair of the 5.11s. They're the only jeans I own these days. I'm wearing a pair right now. They look good and also stretch for your concealment needs. What, if I may ask, is better about the 5.11s ?

I can buy 4 pairs of Wrangler spandex infused flex jeans for the price of one pair of the 5.11s. They're the only jeans I own these days. I'm wearing a pair right now. They look good and also stretch for your concealment needs. What, if I may ask, is better about the 5.11s ?
Yeah, they're pricey. I'm not much of a shopper, and these are my first experiment with "stretchy jeans." I had worn nothing but Wranglers for 45 years before my Son suggested the switch to 5.11s. I didn't do any comparison shopping beforehand, so I can't state any standout features over other brands. I didn't know Wrangler even made these type of jeans. I'll have to check out Wranglers before my next purchase.

👍Ditto on the Wrangler Flex jeans.

Yeah, they're pricey. I'm not much of a shopper, and these are my first experiment with "stretchy jeans." I had worn nothing but Wranglers for 45 years before my Son suggested the switch to 5.11s. I didn't do any comparison shopping beforehand, so I can't state any standout features over other brands. I didn't know Wrangler even made these type of jeans. I'll have to check out Wranglers before my next purchase.
Sorry, I assumed you were talking about the Wrangler stretch jeans. You should definitely try them. WalMart sells them for about $15 a pair.

What purpose bag are you looking for?

What purpose bag are you looking for?
Nothing too big, but big enough I could easily put a 10.5" unbraced pistol in and still have room for other stuff. Basically a small/medium size backpack that I can use for work or other moving around town. I have no real "Need" for it to have specialized mag pockets and other tactical features, but if I'm getting a pack it may as well be all purpose. I'd like if it was modular. That is able to accommodate mag pouches ( M4 and pistol) and shotgun cards. Preferably molle or velcro. Something I can move stuff around and change out stuff as I need it. Maybe a separate, padded compartment that will hold a full size pistol. Places to clip stuff on. Something that could double as a GHB.

I've found all of these so-called 2/3-Day assault packs to be more of a single-day "day" pack, and the ones like this that I have are used as such.

Most are very similar in size and design, and they have the same deficiencies, one of which is poor support when loaded over their capability. This is because of the lack of an support frame insert in the lower capacity packs up to a certain size. One can get inserts and stick them into the hydration bladder pocket that most have. Even a insert can make a big difference in how comfortable these smaller packs are.

IMO, I've found my 35l (2135 cu in.) Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35 to be a much more useful 2/3-day pack because it has good back/weight support and waist belt that the pack in the article doesn't have.

My .02

Last edited:
Yeah, that pack isn't impressing me from the pictures.

I got a Rush72 a couple years ago for backpacking. Nice pack. I have no idea what makes a pack "tactical". I suspect it's just a marketing gimmick like every other "tactical" item. It does the same job as 50 other similar items for only twice the price because it says its "tactical." If it carries my stuff without falling apart and is comfortable to wear it's a winner.
I have to say, my Rush72 worked like a charm during a few days hiking the central american jungle. I recommend it.

I wore Levi’s for years as they just fit my body very well and were comfortable, I’ve also switched over to the Wrangler brand for the flex of the stretch material as well as the extra belt loops.

Nothing too big, but big enough I could easily put a 10.5" unbraced pistol in and still have room for other stuff. Basically a small/medium size backpack that I can use for work or other moving around town. I have no real "Need" for it to have specialized mag pockets and other tactical features, but if I'm getting a pack it may as well be all purpose. I'd like if it was modular. That is able to accommodate mag pouches ( M4 and pistol) and shotgun cards. Preferably molle or velcro. Something I can move stuff around and change out stuff as I need it. Maybe a separate, padded compartment that will hold a full size pistol. Places to clip stuff on. Something that could double as a GHB.
I find the perfect “day pack” similar to what is the perfect holster, I’ve tried so many and been disappointed. As mentioned in this thread I prefer a top load pack that will stand and stay open without falling over or crumbling in on itself. Right now I use a GPS pack that was made for a multiple gun range bag/pack it stands without falling over. I also found a stiff cardboard box of the perfect size that fits in the bottom of the pack to help in packing and support of items. It also has upper and lower chest and abdomen straps that help to keep it secure and in place.
Good but still not the perfect pack.

Packs: There are no perfect ones; like firearms - what do ya like and what suits you?

I'll go with the older military style cuz that's what I learned on; always packed with the same items in the same spot (don't know if the military stills requires that or not, in the Nam and in some units and according to mission, every pack was packed identical; if you were blinded, in the dark, or another person had to access, it was a given what article was where in the pack).

Most current models have a thousand pockets that only helps me forget what is where.

Back