testtest

NC attempts to ditch permits for pistol pur

Arkansas is 2A friendly as far as purchasing and carrying handguns go. We're moving toward a state wide constitutional carry stance. The county I live in, Washington County, has a very 2A friendly Sheriff who has publicly stated he supports constitutional carry. As far as purchasing a handgun in Arkansas, my concealed weapons license does cut down on the paperwork required to purchase a handgun. Any time I've bought a rifle or handgun, the first question from the clerk is "Do you have a valid concealed carry license?" If you do, the paperwork takes literally about five minutes to fill out if that, it's just the basic information sheet along with the questions about if I've ever renounced my citizenship, etc.

Here's my main concern in Arkansas about concealed carry. I got my enhanced concealed carry license last year. I've had my concealed handgun license in Arkansas since 1999 but last year they started issuing the ECCL and I very much wanted to get mine. There were about 15 people in the class, 13 of them didn't bring a handgun to the class???? The course description clearly states to bring your handgun of choice. Of those 15 people, 10 of them failed the shooting course. Mind you these are people who already have a CCL, but they were going for their enhanced CCL. The instructor had a .22 semi-auto he kept in his truck. He had his associate go to the store, this is pre covid ammo availability times, to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo. He told me on the side later he's used to one or two people not having a weapon but he was a bit shocked that 75% of the class showed up without a handgun...lol The instructor stayed and let the ones who did bring a weapon go ahead and qualify.

Here's the shooting requirements for the Arkansas Enhanced Concealed Carry licensing. The target you use is a standard B-27 target. All you have to do is put each round in the 7-ring (the outer ring) for the shot to be considered a hit. It's a 50-round course.

1. Stage 1: 3 yard line – 20 Rounds

a. 5 shots fired in a “one shot exercise” – 2 seconds allowed for each shot;

b. 10 shots fired in a “two shot exercise” – 3 seconds allowed for each 2 shot sequence;

c. 5 shots fired in 10 seconds;

2. Stage 2: 7 yard line – 20 rounds

a. 5 shots fired in 10 seconds

b. 5 shots fired in 2 stages

i. 2 shots fired in 4 seconds;

ii. 3 shots fired in 6 seconds;

c. 5 shots fired in a “one shot exercise” – 3 seconds allowed for each shot;

d. 5 shots fired in 15 seconds

3. Stage 3: 15 yard line – 10 rounds

a. 5 shots fired in 2 stages:

i. 2 shots fired in 6 seconds

ii. 3 shots fired in 9 seconds

b. 5 shots fired in 15 seconds

This is NOT a difficult course. I'm not William H. Bonney or Doc Holliday, but I put every round on target easily. There is plenty of time between shots. You go to the low ready position until the instructor tells you what you're going to be doing then says "Shooter ready?" "Fire." then you're timed. If you have any proficiency whatsoever with your handgun, and I believe you should if you're carrying it on you all the time, then this course is not difficult. I felt like I had had ample time to get on target and fire each round. I scored 50/50, and did not feel like it was much of a challenge. The two people who shot before me failed the course...miserably. The first guy kept missing the whole damn target completely. You have to hit 35 out of 50 shots to pass, he scored something like 22. The next person scored 30 if I remember correctly. I passed, the next person passed, then there were several after that that failed shooting the instructor's .22 cal handgun. I started doing some numbers in my head as I watched. You figure if 2/3 of our class didn't pass the enhanced class.......are they more of a liability carrying their handguns out there in public? I watched several of them have to be shown by the instructor how to load the .22 handgun he let them use and to be honest, several of the people looked uncomfortable handling the handgun, like they didn't handle a handgun on a regular basis. My long drawn out point is that I'm all for concealed carry but if you're going to take the Barney Fife approach to handling your handgun, I'm not sure if you should be trusted to put a bad guy down in a worst case scenario. I've taken several defensive handgun courses over the years and worked in LE for several years, so I've been fortunate to be able to learn how to carry a handgun both physically and what to consider mentally when carrying a firearm. What I saw at my enhanced class were several people who seemed to be uncomfortable with a firearm, unprepared for the class, and unwilling to listen to instructions given by the instructor in order to pass the course. I always try to balance my ardent support of the 2A with the fact that many people in my state carrying a firearm need a lot more training to do so proficiently. It's a double edged sword I suppose but I got the feeling at my class that most of the students would be that guy who, in a worst case scenario, would end up hauling iron and shooting everyone but the bad guy, due to lack of training and familiarity with their weapon. That's always on my mind when I'm sitting with my family in crowded restaurant or some other place with limited exits. I'm all for concealed carry, but you need to have the right mindset as well as the right tools if the worst case scenario happens. Life isn't like the movies when it comes to gunfights, but I get the feeling too many of my fellow Arkansans have seen too much Hollywood to understand the actual conditions that will most likely exist during a shooting scenario.

Oh yeah almost forgot, a few weeks ago, I was at our local Bass Pro Shop looking for a hand stop for my rifle, overheard a guy at the gun counter ask the clerk if the 9mm handgun he was looking at "would also fire 10mm rounds?"........not kidding. The clerk was very diplomatic when he told the potential buyer that "No. Absolutely not, sir." but it's worrisome who is buying handguns nowadays....lol

In VA you don't need a "permit" (besides the federal form), but you are limited to only one gun every 30 days.
So I guess there is something in the police database...
As for CCW, I agree with the classes and qualification shooting requirements, as long as the permit law is a "shall issue".

Arkansas is 2A friendly as far as purchasing and carrying handguns go. We're moving toward a state wide constitutional carry stance. The county I live in, Washington County, has a very 2A friendly Sheriff who has publicly stated he supports constitutional carry. As far as purchasing a handgun in Arkansas, my concealed weapons license does cut down on the paperwork required to purchase a handgun. Any time I've bought a rifle or handgun, the first question from the clerk is "Do you have a valid concealed carry license?" If you do, the paperwork takes literally about five minutes to fill out if that, it's just the basic information sheet along with the questions about if I've ever renounced my citizenship, etc.

Here's my main concern in Arkansas about concealed carry. I got my enhanced concealed carry license last year. I've had my concealed handgun license in Arkansas since 1999 but last year they started issuing the ECCL and I very much wanted to get mine. There were about 15 people in the class, 13 of them didn't bring a handgun to the class???? The course description clearly states to bring your handgun of choice. Of those 15 people, 10 of them failed the shooting course. Mind you these are people who already have a CCL, but they were going for their enhanced CCL. The instructor had a .22 semi-auto he kept in his truck. He had his associate go to the store, this is pre covid ammo availability times, to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo. He told me on the side later he's used to one or two people not having a weapon but he was a bit shocked that 75% of the class showed up without a handgun...lol The instructor stayed and let the ones who did bring a weapon go ahead and qualify.

Here's the shooting requirements for the Arkansas Enhanced Concealed Carry licensing. The target you use is a standard B-27 target. All you have to do is put each round in the 7-ring (the outer ring) for the shot to be considered a hit. It's a 50-round course.

1. Stage 1: 3 yard line – 20 Rounds

a. 5 shots fired in a “one shot exercise” – 2 seconds allowed for each shot;

b. 10 shots fired in a “two shot exercise” – 3 seconds allowed for each 2 shot sequence;

c. 5 shots fired in 10 seconds;

2. Stage 2: 7 yard line – 20 rounds

a. 5 shots fired in 10 seconds

b. 5 shots fired in 2 stages

i. 2 shots fired in 4 seconds;

ii. 3 shots fired in 6 seconds;

c. 5 shots fired in a “one shot exercise” – 3 seconds allowed for each shot;

d. 5 shots fired in 15 seconds

3. Stage 3: 15 yard line – 10 rounds

a. 5 shots fired in 2 stages:

i. 2 shots fired in 6 seconds

ii. 3 shots fired in 9 seconds

b. 5 shots fired in 15 seconds

This is NOT a difficult course. I'm not William H. Bonney or Doc Holliday, but I put every round on target easily. There is plenty of time between shots. You go to the low ready position until the instructor tells you what you're going to be doing then says "Shooter ready?" "Fire." then you're timed. If you have any proficiency whatsoever with your handgun, and I believe you should if you're carrying it on you all the time, then this course is not difficult. I felt like I had had ample time to get on target and fire each round. I scored 50/50, and did not feel like it was much of a challenge. The two people who shot before me failed the course...miserably. The first guy kept missing the whole damn target completely. You have to hit 35 out of 50 shots to pass, he scored something like 22. The next person scored 30 if I remember correctly. I passed, the next person passed, then there were several after that that failed shooting the instructor's .22 cal handgun. I started doing some numbers in my head as I watched. You figure if 2/3 of our class didn't pass the enhanced class.......are they more of a liability carrying their handguns out there in public? I watched several of them have to be shown by the instructor how to load the .22 handgun he let them use and to be honest, several of the people looked uncomfortable handling the handgun, like they didn't handle a handgun on a regular basis. My long drawn out point is that I'm all for concealed carry but if you're going to take the Barney Fife approach to handling your handgun, I'm not sure if you should be trusted to put a bad guy down in a worst case scenario. I've taken several defensive handgun courses over the years and worked in LE for several years, so I've been fortunate to be able to learn how to carry a handgun both physically and what to consider mentally when carrying a firearm. What I saw at my enhanced class were several people who seemed to be uncomfortable with a firearm, unprepared for the class, and unwilling to listen to instructions given by the instructor in order to pass the course. I always try to balance my ardent support of the 2A with the fact that many people in my state carrying a firearm need a lot more training to do so proficiently. It's a double edged sword I suppose but I got the feeling at my class that most of the students would be that guy who, in a worst case scenario, would end up hauling iron and shooting everyone but the bad guy, due to lack of training and familiarity with their weapon. That's always on my mind when I'm sitting with my family in crowded restaurant or some other place with limited exits. I'm all for concealed carry, but you need to have the right mindset as well as the right tools if the worst case scenario happens. Life isn't like the movies when it comes to gunfights, but I get the feeling too many of my fellow Arkansans have seen too much Hollywood to understand the actual conditions that will most likely exist during a shooting scenario.

Oh yeah almost forgot, a few weeks ago, I was at our local Bass Pro Shop looking for a hand stop for my rifle, overheard a guy at the gun counter ask the clerk if the 9mm handgun he was looking at "would also fire 10mm rounds?"........not kidding. The clerk was very diplomatic when he told the potential buyer that "No. Absolutely not, sir." but it's worrisome who is buying handguns nowadays....lol
That’s an excellent write up, and yeah , I bet everyone here would be as shocked as you with that particular class - I hope that was just an anomaly, a fluke situation...
Near the end you mentioned Hollywood/TV etc and I think there’s something to that. Bunch of sheeple jumping on the gunowning bandwagon who don’t/won’t ever think of the thing even if their own home is invaded. It’s put away ‘safely’ or something (and in such cases that’s prob a good idea; btw I don’t mean to suggest everyone oughta have firearms laying around unnecessarily). There are those that honestly have no business with one and I don’t mean to say mental health issues in the family. “Keeping and bearing” arms involves a certain viewpoint & way of thinking; some otherwise perfectly regular folks just don’t have that...
Anywho...
I do have one ques: what’s the purpose of Ark’s ‘enhanced’ carry? I.e. benefit to the permit holder? Are there increased responsibilities, liabilities etc? What does one get out of it?
Thanks for sharing that post!

That’s an excellent write up, and yeah , I bet everyone here would be as shocked as you with that particular class - I hope that was just an anomaly, a fluke situation...
Near the end you mentioned Hollywood/TV etc and I think there’s something to that. Bunch of sheeple jumping on the gunowning bandwagon who don’t/won’t ever think of the thing even if their own home is invaded. It’s put away ‘safely’ or something (and in such cases that’s prob a good idea; btw I don’t mean to suggest everyone oughta have firearms laying around unnecessarily). There are those that honestly have no business with one and I don’t mean to say mental health issues in the family. “Keeping and bearing” arms involves a certain viewpoint & way of thinking; some otherwise perfectly regular folks just don’t have that...
Anywho...
I do have one ques: what’s the purpose of Ark’s ‘enhanced’ carry? I.e. benefit to the permit holder? Are there increased responsibilities, liabilities etc? What does one get out of it?
Never mind Ghost... I finally found something on the enhancement. Lets you go to both Church and the bars, LOL 😆 😂

Anywho...
You bet. No problem sharing on post. The enhanced CCL in Arkansas lets you carry your weapon into a bunch of establishments that you’re not allowed to carry your weapon into with a regular CCL. Sporting events, bars, all kinds of places that are off limits with a CCL you can carry your weapon concealed legally into with an enhanced CCL. It really doesn’t make any difference as far as I’m concerned. I don’t go to bars and I’m pretty much a home body. A social butterfly I am not, but in the event I do happen to ever have to enter a place like that, and since I’m always armed if I’m away from my house, I’d just soon so it legally. Now, would I have worn my weapon concealed anyway had I not had the ECCL? Yes, the whole point of having a concealed weapon is that no one is the wiser. I do not want anyone knowing I have a handgun on me. “Noting to see here Mr. bad guy, just a non threatening middle aged overweight guy here, not a threat at all.”
Mainly the Arkansas enhanced CCL’s purpose is just to open up the kind of locations you can carry your weapon. But, to tell you the truth, If the class I was in was any indication of the overall average proficiency of the everyday CCL holder in my state, it’s damn scary that many people are carrying...lol

Oregon does not require a permit. They did just pass a draconian storage law yesterday, with 'enhancements' but that is another story. I did have CCW in four states and till have Oregon, Utah, and Nevada, I allowed Arizona to Lapse as they are now Constitutional carry. Nevada was the only one that tested me with a gun, 30 rounds. renewal requirements for Nevada are same as initial, but slightly cheaper.

We are actively looking to leave Oregon for harsher weather but more pleasant government.

Oregon does not require a permit. They did just pass a draconian storage law yesterday, with 'enhancements' but that is another story. I did have CCW in four states and till have Oregon, Utah, and Nevada, I allowed Arizona to Lapse as they are now Constitutional carry. Nevada was the only one that tested me with a gun, 30 rounds. renewal requirements for Nevada are same as initial, but slightly cheaper.

We are actively looking to leave Oregon for harsher weather but more pleasant government.
I only hear of one thing in Oregon and that’s Portland of course. But it’s obviously a completely diff region from me. Wish you luck whatever you decide...
I also wish luck to those (eastern OR) counties talking about joining Idaho. The dichotomy reminds me of eastern Colorado vs the Denver Boulder Vale et al. differences...

Back