testtest

Need some scope suggestions

Referring to magnification.
1x4, 2x12 or 3x9 etc..

Looking thru them firsthand to see the difference. A test drive so to speak
Trigger time behind them is even better.

And then, trigger time behind a low-range, vs mid range vs high range optic is truly…enlightening.

I may have mentioned once before…I was talking to a friend about high-end glass, and how I didn’t think it was worth it—knowing full well that he was a firm believer in Zeiss, Swarovski, USO, etc…

He didn’t argue…he just offered to put his glass up against mine.

Now, my top-end was a Leupold Vari-X3 4.5-14x50…not crap glass, by any means.

He just let me compare pictures of it vs his Swarovski 4-16x50…and you could literally SEE the difference.

You get what you pay for in glass; anyone who claims otherwise…is either lying to save face or has no experience with top end scopes.

And then, trigger time behind a low-range, vs mid range vs high range optic is truly…enlightening.

I may have mentioned once before…I was talking to a friend about high-end glass, and how I didn’t think it was worth it—knowing full well that he was a firm believer in Zeiss, Swarovski, USO, etc…

He just let me compare pictures of it vs his Swarovski 4-16x50…and you could literally SEE the difference.

You get what you pay for in glass; anyone who claims otherwise…is either lying to save face or has no experience with top end scopes.
Absolutely Agreed!

I dont disagree. At all
I’m referring to the OP who:
A) is on a budget .
B) is a novice to scopes

There is no substitute for trigger time afield with a scope. He doesnt have that luxury.

Looking thru them side x side as a comparison gives him a basic understanding of say a 3x9 vs a 1x6.

I dont disagree. At all
A) is on a budget .
B) is a novice to scopes

Their is no substitute for trigger time afield with a scope. He doesnt have that luxury.

Looking thru them side x side as a comparison gives him a basic understanding of say a 3x9 vs a 1x6.
Agreed! I do believe that's why we are all trying to help by sharing our opinions and info! 😁 A good optic at a budget price? Dose that really exist? I guess that all depends on the budget in my opinion.

If I was a prarie dog hunter. I'd probably have a nice heavy Savage Bolt gun in .22-250 or .223 or maybe even .222 with a reeeeeeeeeeeeeal niiiiiiiiiiiiice Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski or Lecia mounted on it, but I'm not, so I don't. I do however, own two pair of Swarovski binos and a Swarovski spotting scope. I definitely appreciate premium glass!

Last edited:
Can you go to a store a look thru them side x side for comparison?
Best way is to scope the far wnd of the store.
You’ll find real quick what works or doesnt for your needs
Yeah I can do that. I went shopping for a rifle and told the guy what I was looking to do. 350 and 450 are really popular here with deer hunting being an Iowa treasure. He suggested a 3x9 scope I think it was. Don't recall the details.

If I was a prarie dog hunter. I'd probably have a nice heavy Savage Bolt gun in .22-250 or .223 or maybe even .222 with a reeeeeeeeeeeeeal niiiiiiiiiiiiice Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski or Lecia mounted on it, but I'm not, so I don't. I do however, own two pair of Swarovski binos and a Swarovski spotting scope. I definitely appreciate premium glass!
Here’s the funny thing…

If I was shooting prairie dogs, I wouldn’t go with high end glass…I’m not eating what i shoot, and what I’m shooting is not a threat. No skin if I miss.

My defensive glass, though…that’s where I spend money.

I dont disagree. At all
A) is on a budget .
B) is a novice to scopes

There is no substitute for trigger time afield with a scope. He doesnt have that luxury.

I'm getting my rifle NOW so I can GET trigger time on the range and weapon's familiarization. I won't be going in the field having never fired my rifle and using my scope. That said I also won't go in the field unless I can make consistent ethical groupings regardless of time spent pulling that trigger.

Saying all of that just to give some confirmation

I'm getting my rifle NOW so I can GET trigger time on the range and weapon's familiarization. I won't be going in the field having never fired my rifle and using my scope. That said I also won't go in the field unless I can make consistent ethical groupings regardless of time spent pulling that trigger.

So…

You’ve got until fall, 6-7 months to get it together.

Save up for good glass. You’ve got time.

I understand. I was referencing looking thru some scope possibilities before settling on what you will purchase & mount to the rifle

Here’s the funny thing…

If I was shooting prairie dogs, I wouldn’t go with high end glass…I’m not eating what i shoot, and what I’m shooting is not a threat. No skin if I miss.

My defensive glass, though…that’s where I spend money.
Good point. I could come up with reasons why and why not to use top end glass for prarie dogs as well. It all comes down to personal preference in my opinion. I feel anyone with long range experiance would agree that humidity and temperature is a big factor when it comes to clarity when looking through optics at Long distances. That is
one of the reasons premium glass out performs all the others in my opinion.

No, I'm aware of that but was just giving clarification and stating my plans to get ready
Enjoy your new endeavor.
Rifle and scope shopping is fun. At least for me. Lots and lots and lots of stuff out there. Not like it was 20 yrs ago.
You’ll stumble a bit, we all do, but in the end, its fun to learn the ropes.
After all, its Guns and scopes 😎🙂🕺🕺🕺

With a mod70 in 264wm (pre '64) and a leupold 3x12 duplex (very cheap at the time ('82 I think) I shot (probably my longest at anything) at 600 yards. Middle of May full sun afternoon (so lots of light). I've seen people on coyote call hunts use a 243win with a $3,000 scope (for 300 yards max). In the end buy what you want! When prople spend $2k on a lpvo, well that's their business! My lpvo's are usually on sale and cost less than $500.

Back