testtest

Need some scope suggestions

As well as rings or rail mount etc.

So as I've said in a different post, my new .350 legend bolt action (Savage Axis II) is gonna be a dedicated kitchen filler (hopefully!) And I've never used scopes and don't know much about them so I need some suggestions as to a quality-ish scope (around $150-200 if possible). No iron sights on the rifle (what I'm used to) and I don't want a red dot.. unless it magnifies.

Not sure what weight (of the projectile) I'll choose to shoot or work well with my rifle.

Also, what are the pros and cons of scope rings vs other mounting styles? I'm making the assumption that there are.
One more thing bud. In my opinion. A First focal plane optic is really just a small unesassary bonus for your paticular rifle because of its effective range. First Focal Plane is more of a longer range shooting benefit in an optic. You also want an optic that has only two dialing turets, for your elevation and windage adjustments. With a low profile and water proof turet covers for two reasons. One, low profile protected dials are less likely to get snagged on limbs or other brush. Two, dials won't accidentally get re adjusted by brush if it has caps! You can only imagine the out come if this happens when you have the meat in the cross hairs and you squeeze the trigger! All this is usually standard on a good hunting optic. Maybe this little bit of info will save you some coin!

Last edited:

So as I've said in a different post, my new .350 legend bolt action (Savage Axis II) is gonna be a dedicated kitchen filler (hopefully!) And I've never used scopes and don't know much about them so I need some suggestions as to a quality-ish scope (around $150-200 if possible). No iron sights on the rifle (what I'm used to) and I don't want a red dot.. unless it magnifies.

Not sure what weight (of the projectile) I'll choose to shoot or work well with my rifle.

Also, what are the pros and cons of scope rings vs other mounting styles? I'm making the assumption that there are.
With the short range of the 350, maybe a straight 3x would be good. No need for any more! Get a tube style red dot and no need for BDR type as it's useless. If you do get 1 with a BDR find your ranges for each drop. It could be useful! Most 3x already have a pic mount.

I too don’t know anything about scopes I was thinking I like to get one for my ruger pc carbine I don’t need anything that long distance if I can find one for a decent price I only need it for the range at 50 yards any suggestion
I'd get one of these when they came back in stock...

I'd get one of these when they came back in stock...

That is the truth in the product description.. agreed.
What I said previous post about low light. I Usually end up taking game at first or last light when they’re moving from or to their favored area
2C6D5308-484E-48F5-9DB8-5DC1A6A1882A.jpeg

Another thing to consider is the hunting regulations in your state. All states are different. For example. It is against the law to use illuminated arrow knocks in Idaho for bow hunting. In Alaska we don't have shooting hours. You can harvest any particular game animal during open season 24-7 as long as you are not using artificial light. Alaska has strick fair chase hunting laws. In the state of Alaska. Night vision, FLIR, heat signature, and illuminated reticle optics fall under "hunting with artificial light" so check your local regs before your optics purchase bud. Shoot fun shoot striaight and shoot safe.

Last edited:
Here you go! All hunting optics. All SFP optics. All with low profile dialing turrets. All with protected turret covers. Note: The bevilled surface on the turret caps for even better snag deflection. Two of these optics are fixed power and have only two adjustment dials on the entire scope. Three out of the four optics are Leupy's, but that's just my personal preference.

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_102052567.jpg
    IMG_20220405_102052567.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Not a good hunting optic in my opinion! A FFP optic. It has FIVE!!! adjustment dials! Only two are low profile. The zoom and the the eye piece focus adjustment. Only one of the three turrets has protection caps to prevent accidental turret adjustment. High magnification = poor performance in low light. Hope all this info helps!

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_101805279.jpg
    IMG_20220405_101805279.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Here you go! All hunting optics. All SFP optics. All with low profile dialing turrets. All with protected turret covers. Note: The bevilled surface on the turret caps for even better snag deflection. Two of these optics are fixed power and have only two adjustment dials on the entire scope. Three out of the four optics are Leupy's, but that's just my personal preference.
Ok.

Explain, in detail, what the difference is between a good “hunting” optic and a “tactical” optic…or “strategic” optic…or a “small unit action” optic.

So as I've said in a different post, my new .350 legend bolt action
A relatively short-range cartridge doesn't need a higher-powered scope.

And if you're using it in a short-ranged environment (i.e. dense-forested conditions) you don't need a higher-powered scope.

I wouldn't go over 10X in a LPVO.

I suggest a decent quality 1-6X or 1-8X.

Ok.

Explain, in detail, what the difference is between a good “hunting” optic and a “tactical” optic…or “strategic” optic…or a “small unit action” optic.
The information and opinions I provide is solely based on 95% experience and 5% on wut I've heard someone say or wut I've read. We all agree on low magnification for his paticular rifle no? I believe I did first mention a 2-7 variable and fixed 4x

Last edited:
The .350 Legend isn't a tactical cartridge.

It's more of a boutique hunting round.
Indeed , it is—and designed for the AR platform—and a short-barreled AR platform at that.

Personally—and no offense meant to anyone—I think it’s silly in a bolt action carbine; there are several other, much better rounds suited to the purpose.

But, it’s the cartridge the OP bought, in the platform they bought…so let’s try and help them.

@Wannabewoodsman —let’s see if we can help you make do with what you have.

Indeed , it is—and designed for the AR platform—and a short-barreled AR platform at that.

Personally—and no offense meant to anyone—I think it’s silly in a bolt action carbine; there are several other, much better rounds suited to the purpose.

But, it’s the cartridge the OP bought, in the platform they bought…so let’s try and help them.

@Wannabewoodsman —let’s see if we can help you make do with what you have.
Agreed! So take my advice and go with a 2x7 or fixed 4 power Leupold WannabeWoodsman! you can't go wrong and it will last you the rest of your life!!!

Can you go to a store a look thru them side x side for comparison?
Best way is to scope the far wnd of the store.
You’ll find real quick what works or doesnt for your needs

As far as low light goes. I've never looked through a 200$ or less optic that performed well in low light or performed well at anything else a good optic should perform well at for that matter! 😂😂😂 Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Good glass is going to cost money. It's that simple. I'm not incredibly familiar with a lot of the new optics out now though. Maybe that's all changed

Last edited:
Back