testtest

Never though that way

Grumps

Operator
This is kinda long, and deals with my wife views.

My wife is new to firearms. We went to the range the first time rights as everything was shutting down.

She tried everything in 9mm from Glock to FN, and thought she liked the Sig P365. But the more she shoot it, the less she liked it.

Now she is shooting a Ruger security 9 and is very happy with it.

All of that to say she has been going to the range for over a year, and has no issue with a 9mm hand gun.

Now the issue. the last time I went home, I brought back an older 22 revolver.(1970 or so)
My wife tried it out, and I honestly think it terrified her.
The lack of recoil, and noise when she shoot it made her think it was more a toy then a gun.

She wants nothing to do with the revolver and made me put it in the safe until I can take it back to dad.
I'm not. Sure what to make of her reaction, but she still has no issue with her Ruger.

My Wife and i took our CHL class together and she used my XD for the class. She had no problem with it. So she picked out a XD3 for her carry gun. All was well, but thats not the end of the story. She went with me to the range a few times then completely lost interest in going, but continued to carry. After about a year, i asked her if she even remembered how her cc gun works. She said she wasnt sure...:oops:. Bottom line is we went and got her a S&W hammerless airweight in .38. She went to the range a few times with me, and she got pretty good with that little gun. Now if i ask her does she know how to operate her cc gun.. she says "yea..grab..point..and start squeezin" I guess my point is.. if you have a wife/gf that isnt a gun nut like you, the simplicity of a revolver might put both your minds at ez a little. No.. has the mag spring gotten weak,? is there one in the pipe ? can i rack the slide without screwing up ? is the safety on or off ?

My wife is new to firearms. We went to the range the first time rights as everything was shutting down.

She tried everything in 9mm from Glock to FN, and thought she liked the Sig P365. But the more she shoot it, the less she liked it.

All of that to say she has been going to the range for over a year, and has no issue with a 9mm hand gun.

Now the issue. the last time I went home, I brought back an older 22 revolver.(1970 or so)
The lack of recoil, and noise when she shoot it made her think it was more a toy then a gun.

She wants nothing to do with the revolver and made me put it in the safe until I can take it back to dad.
I'm not. Sure what to make of her reaction, but she still has no issue with her Ruger.
i was told, while learning, that a .22 is a darned good gun to learn on, for the lack of recoil and noise, to get good with, then gradually move on up to bigger calibers.

of course i did not listen, and went straight into the 9 MM, then the 45's, then the 357 mags.

i do have a great .22 caliber Glock, and there are times, i thoroughly enjoy the "pfft" sounds and no recoil over all those noise makers i got...!

No biggie on HG types, different strokes for different folks is all. There's some important differences between them, but, they're both still handguns. Some likes and dislike are fairly normal. I sure wouldn't want a spouse that's a clone of me on everything. The good thing is you two can enjoy doing something productive together.

My Wife and i took our CHL class together and she used my XD for the class. She had no problem with it. So she picked out a XD3 for her carry gun. All was well, but thats not the end of the story. She went with me to the range a few times then completely lost interest in going, but continued to carry. After about a year, i asked her if she even remembered how her cc gun works. She said she wasnt sure...:oops:. Bottom line is we went and got her a S&W hammerless airweight in .38. She went to the range a few times with me, and she got pretty good with that little gun. Now if i ask her does she know how to operate her cc gun.. she says "yea..grab..point..and start squeezin" I guess my point is.. if you have a wife/gf that isnt a gun nut like you, the simplicity of a revolver might put both your minds at ez a little. No.. has the mag spring gotten weak,? is there one in the pipe ? can i rack the slide without screwing up ? is the safety on or off ?
May try making it more fun for her?
Just thoughts is all. By her saying, "Yea, grab, point and start squeezin" - sounds like she may be be a bit bored and wants to do something different together, more exciting and possibly more fun? Maybe try different targets, distances, ranges, working on, cleaning guns, etc. together? Basically, make it more interesting and fun.

Wait a minute........ I thought revolvers were pistols......now I'm confused........ :unsure:
Hah, join the club?
Somewhere along the road, the words and terms were changed around here and there. Watch and read history, TV, etc. for variations? Some people, consider handguns just another name / term for pistols. To others, semi auto and single shot handguns are pistols, revolvers are revolvers and they're both handguns. Hope the following may help clear the confusion?

Possible reasons? Condensed and skipping over earlier firearms. Possibly, back in the days when handguns and most guns of any sort were "Cap and ball" single shot firearms or derivatives of loading later on. Single shot handguns then evolved into more rounds and "revolvers" of some sort were anything that was handheld was a pistol including revolvers.

Note: "Pepper box pistol."

Also guessing and a bit of a speculation, some may be that many people now days grew up in a period where "Cap Guns" were kids toys. Many of those toy cap guns, while looking like revolvers, were marketed as pistols too. Many to most kids cap guns looked like revolvers and shot rolls of perforated red colored paper caps or red peel off single shot sticky caps for their toys. Those people then grew up with many calling any handgun a pistol from their childhood because of previous marketing, the name pistol stuck to anything handheld and pistol gripped?

May try making it more fun for her?
Just thoughts is all. By her saying, "Yea, grab, point and start squeezin" - sounds like she may be be a bit bored and wants to do something different together, more exciting and possibly more fun? Maybe try different targets, distances, ranges, working on, cleaning guns, etc. together? Basically, make it more interesting and fun.
Yea...i tried stuff like that. And she will go once in a while if i make it part of a pic nic date at my fish and game club...lol. She goes with me to the fish frys and other events there..and likes to fish with me in the pond sometimes. Took her to a fast 15 shoot, and a couple of jug shoots thinking they wouldnt be as boring for her. But its just not her thing.. And gun cleaning...thats a definate NO....lol

Yea...i tried stuff like that. And she will go once in a while if i make it part of a pic nic date at my fish and game club...lol. She goes with me to the fish frys and other events there..and likes to fish with me in the pond sometimes. Took her to a fast 15 shoot, and a couple of jug shoots thinking they wouldnt be as boring for her. But its just not her thing.. And gun cleaning...thats a definate NO....lol
Well, you gave it a best shot. Gotta keep it fun and light hearted within reason for safety's sake. Maybe try something she likes too? Going material shopping together with wife who sews and stop for lunch somewhere for example? I'd keep trying from time to time and not push too hard, but that's my thoughts. Showing interest is a biggie.

The .22 revolver I shot years ago was the loudest thing I have ever shot I swear.

I am sure it was the pitch of the noise, but dang it hurts my ears more than anything I have ever shot.

Back