testtest

New 65" TV

billt

Operator
The wall mounted 55" Samsung in our living room came with the house when we bought it 3 years ago. It's been OK, but has a sound bar my wife hates, because of the poor sound quality it produces. And I hated the tiny little "credit card" remote it used, along with how poorly it operated. The picture was OK however........ Until yesterday.

I turned in on in the morning, and the picture was very dark with very black shadows that had a look reminiscent of negative film. Light was dark, and what should have been dark was light. Weird. Anyway, I checked all of our other sets in the house and the picture was fine. So it was finally saying goodbye.

So off to Wal-Mart I went. I got a really nice state of the art, 65" Samsung, (the newest and latest model), for just under $700.00 out the door. (They had an older model that was similar for $130.00 less).

The wife and I struggled getting the old one off the wall, along with the wall mount, (which left 4 nice big holes in the wall). Which I Spackled and painted, and you can't even tell they were there. We tossed the old TV, sound bar, along with all the spaghetti wiring they had to hook everything up, and the old wall mount. The new set sits nicely right on top of the cabinet. And looks much better. And it only has 2 wires connecting it. A HDMI Cable, and a power cord. That's it.

I had to call Directv to help me get it up and running. I had an Asian gal who I could barely understand, be she knew her electronics, I'll say that much. In 10 minutes she had it going with the Directv remote, as well as the Samsung remote that came with the set. The picture and sound is beautiful! It has the latest 4K UHD technology. The set was very light and thin compared to the old one. Even though it's a 65" set, it weighed at least one third less than the old 55".

So now I should be good for a while. The set gets turned on in the morning, and plays all day long. So it will get plenty of use.

you ain't lived until you had to move one of these old tv sets, into it's spot..

then when you had to move it out to the curbing on trash day.

"hernia city", here i come......you'd be singing that in the highest octave you ever imagined.

1658331171057.png

Our projection TV died, but we had a winning Kentucky Derby ticket that paid for our new 65" flatscreen. It was great in our 2,200 sf house, but we then downsized to 1,100 sf and it was just too big. It was like IMAX in our tiny LR. Gave it to my niece and got a nice 55" 4K tv. We missed having a decent garage (only a Fit or Prius would fit) and found a 1,500 sf home with a 2 car garage. I wouldn't mind a soundbar, but have too much invested in home theater.

It's one thing to buy an expensive TV, but it's quite something else to have to pay out of the rear end just to get to watch it.
equally worse, in a few "short" years...it'll get tossed to the curb on trash day.

we have had Sylvania and RCA and General Electric tvs, (in various rooms) go 10 to 20 years before they finally died.

You all are making me feel bad . ( not really but it sounded good ) I am sitting here watching a 32" Samsung that is 10 years old. The good thing is ,I am only 6 1/2 feet away from it most of the time.

I have been thinking about getting a 43" TV but I think I will wait till this one quits me. 😀

I've seen ads and read articles on how prices have come down on large Smart TVs (or stayed somewhat the same), as everything else seem to have gone up in price recently. Some articles stated this was possible, since these Smart TVs and/or streaming devices track your viewing habits and sell this data to advertisers and such. You can disable this tracking on most if not all devices, since most of the time the tracking default is set to YES, in the device's settings menu (possibly under the Privacy setting, or equivalent thereof). Below is a linked article on what I'm referring to on tracking and how to disable it on certain TVs and devices if you so desire:

When I worked for Mossberg in 2012 they gave me $7,000.00 to relocate from Connecticut to Texas. At first the money was for moving me, then they offered to move all my things in the company truck so I used some of the money to buy 2 48” Samsung TV’s Samsung sound bar units for both and a Samsung surround sound DVD setup.
The sound bar units both started to sound like crap after about 8 years and the DVD part the Surround sound failed 2 years ago, the TV’s however have been awesome, great picture and sound.

I've seen ads and read articles on how prices have come down on large Smart TVs (or stayed somewhat the same), as everything else seem to have gone up in price recently. Some articles stated this was possible, since these Smart TVs and/or streaming devices track your viewing habits and sell this data to advertisers and such. You can disable this tracking on most if not all devices, since most of the time the tracking default is set to YES, in the device's settings menu (possibly under the Privacy setting, or equivalent thereof). Below is a linked article on what I'm referring to on tracking and how to disable it on certain TVs and devices if you so desire:

Good link and information, thanks for posting this, been thinking of getting a smart tv, now I know what to look for.

Bookmarked for future use. Thanks for posting this BET7. (y)

Good link and information, thanks for posting this, been thinking of getting a smart tv, now I know what to look for.
No problem Anni. I have three TVs (55", 46" & 32"), the 55" is Satellite DirectTV with an Amazon Firestick for streaming Amazon Prime and others. The 46" is set up with a wireless link to the DirectTV receiver setup on the 55". The 32" has a Roku stick for just streaming. I've gone in an hunted down all the tracking settings on these devices and set them to NO. I don't own any Alexa, Echo (or similar devices), nor Simplisafe or Ring cameras which also have privacy settings that can be changed (I think Ring defaults to Neighborhood sharing which could share info with other Ring devices in the neighborhood, and thus be a candidate for potential hacking). Seems like more and more these devices are set up to spy on us.

Back