testtest

New Emissary

Hello, I just purchased the new Emmisary .45 with 4 1/4” barrel for my concealed carry piece. I absolutely love the gun but there is one quirk that I have a question about. The salesman told me to be careful not to slam a new magazine in when reloading, you have to depress the mag release button and hold it. If you don’t the mag only goes half way then stops. I’ve never seen this before and the salesman couldn’t explain why this change was made. Does anyone know why Springfield did this?
Thanks
J

Hello, I just purchased the new Emmisary .45 with 4 1/4” barrel for my concealed carry piece. I absolutely love the gun but there is one quirk that I have a question about. The salesman told me to be careful not to slam a new magazine in when reloading, you have to depress the mag release button and hold it. If you don’t the mag only goes half way then stops. I’ve never seen this before and the salesman couldn’t explain why this change was made. Does anyone know why Springfield did this?
Thanks
J
Not sure about your salesman but with my Emissary 45ACP the magazine goes in about 2/3 of the way then meets some resistance, with a soft but sharp tap with the heel of my hand the magazine seats completely.

I’ll add mine is loaded 8+1 so the mag is full with one in the chamber, the magazine seats fine with the slide in battery.

Last edited:
I’m sure the salesman is very knowledgeable, but call me skeptical on this. At what point is it ok to slam it home? Second time? 5th? Any training I’ve ever had was to slam the mag in. What happens if you hold the mag release in and slam it in? Does it still only go half way? Is this with a Springfield mag? I’m sure another Emissary owner will be along to set us straight shortly.

I’m sure the salesman is very knowledgeable, but call me skeptical on this. At what point is it ok to slam it home? Second time? 5th? Any training I’ve ever had was to slam the mag in. What happens if you hold the mag release in and slam it in? Does it still only go half way? Is this with a Springfield mag? I’m sure another Emissary owner will be along to set us straight shortly.
The Emissary comes with MecGar magazines.

Thanks
We just had another gentleman speaking of this exact thing the other night.
The first couple of range sessions with my 5" .45, it had a "catch" about 2/3 of the way. I used the mag release to assist it a couple times, then gave it a bump a couple more times and after about the third time out it smoothed itself out.
Now it's good to go.
Not sure why, but sounds like they just need a little breaking in the first couple of times out.
Keep us posted.

That's not normal.
After further inspection, it appears the mag release on the right hand side of the pistol, protrudes into the magwell just a bit and I can see that mine has been worn down. Only one of my magazines shows a fine wear mark on the right hand side of it. It appears QA may have missed this and after multiple mag changes it wears itself down a bit.
I'm no gunsmith by any means but this is just my observation with a flashlight and some curiosity since this is now the second time someone has pointed this out recently.

After further inspection, it appears the mag release on the right hand side of the pistol, protrudes into the magwell just a bit and I can see that mine has been worn down. Only one of my magazines shows a fine wear mark on the right hand side of it. It appears QA may have missed this and after multiple mag changes it wears itself down a bit.
I'm no gunsmith by any means but this is just my observation with a flashlight and some curiosity since this is now the second time someone has pointed this out recently.
I figured it was the mag catch.

In all my years with 1911’s first time I heard of this, to me this salesman doesn’t sound very knowledgeable about guns, just my opinion here, plus there isn’t no change in this gun, nor did Springfield make any changes either.
Don’t you mean this is the first time since 1911 you’ve heard of this?
1BD6F94F-861C-4313-A29A-AC3D6A54BCBD.gif

Thanks
J
never heard of this, and my SA Emissary and any other 1911 that i have, i have to "push the mag" into the gun till it clicks. i think my S&W Series E 1911, requires a bit more of a "push". also, of all the videos i have seen, especially for self defensive shooting/reloading, even "competition speed shooting", i can't say i ever saw anyone "baby" a loaded magazine during reloading.

It's normal to feel pressure and drag, after all the catch has to slip into the slot on the magazine under spring tension. I have heard of some that had excessive drag or a catch but never experienced it. A quick Google shows this to be not super rare and there seem to be some common fixes. However some require Bubba Gunsmith on the magazine catch length so not sure you want to do that on your new pistol.

It is not however normal to require to hold in the release when inserting magazines.

Last edited:
Thanks
J
Thanks everyone, sounds like a break issue. The mag slides in halfway then stops at the release, tight enough I can’t push it but does go in with a firm bump. I’m hoping this will improve when I get some rounds through it

Attachments

• E71CC170-711D-43CE-8D81-6C44EFB0B81C.jpeg
    E71CC170-711D-43CE-8D81-6C44EFB0B81C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 94
My RO Operator was similar to this and it’s a 9mm, I don’t dwell on small things like this, this is totally normal for a new 1911, plus it’s the mags not the gun, the spring in mag is stiff, after it’s used for awhile it will loosen up or just keep it loaded to loosen up the spring,
Plus its the mag release, mine was extremely tight when inserting a mag, it loosened up after use, sorry for my previous post, got mixed up reading this thread and another......:oops:

My RO Operator was similar to this and it’s a 9mm, I don’t dwell on small things like this, this is totally normal for a new 1911, plus it’s the mags not the gun, the spring in mag is stiff, after it’s used for awhile it will loosen up or just keep it loaded to loosen up the spring,
I agree with what your saying when there are issues with full mags seating against a slide closed in battery because of the round at the top is contacting the slide however with my Emissary that round at the top of a full mag is nowhere near the slide when it hits that resistance when inserting, there is something there that is restricting the mag to get a clean smooth insert, is there something wrong? My opinion no, am I concerned? Not at all.

Back