testtest

New gun owner looking for advice

I am a beginner gun owner - I finally purchased my first gun in December, a 1911 Springfield Ronin 9mm. I am now trying to figure out what accessories it need and where to get them... I have good ear protection and basic eye protection. From my readings looks like I need some kind of range bag (something not too big, I only have one gun and I am a small woman), a magazine loader, a spare magazine... I browsed on Google and came up overwhelmed by choices and not knowing what to pick....I would love some help and advice, please!

Any bag will work as a range bag. It just has to hold your stuff. I use an old backpack. A good cleaning kit is important. Beyond that, you're set. The firearm, ammunition, eyes and ears, and cleaning gear. You don't NEED a spare magazine and a loader is just for convenience. If you can load the weapon without one its not a necessity.

Welcome to the forum. As you mentioned, there are many places to buy gun related accessories you’re interested in, and more. I’d look at places like Midway USA, Optics Planet, and even Amazon. For Magazines, I generally look first at places like GunMagWarehouse or TheMagShack, although Midway USA & Optics Planet sells mags as well. For a mag loader, I’d recommend Maglula Uplula, link below is one from Midway. I’m sure others on here can provide alternative worthy sites as well.

I suggest the following in addition to the range bag....

1) a standard 1911 holster - Galco makes a nice leather & priced right.
2) a gunbelt - leather or nylon with stiffness to support the gun and extra mag on it.
3) at least one 1911 double mag holder - leather or nylon.
4) at least 4 good quality 9mm 1911 magazines.
5) as much good quality FMJ (full metal jacket) 9mm (115 or 124 gr) for practice as you can afford so you can practice, practice.
6) as much good quality JHP (hollow point ammo) (same weights as pracice ammo) to fill your mags for self-defense.

Membership at a local range if possible.

Practice at short range first to gain confidense.

I am a beginner gun owner - I finally purchased my first gun in December, a 1911 Springfield Ronin 9mm. I am now trying to figure out what accessories it need and where to get them... I have good ear protection and basic eye protection. From my readings looks like I need some kind of range bag (something not too big, I only have one gun and I am a small woman), a magazine loader, a spare magazine... I browsed on Google and came up overwhelmed by choices and not knowing what to pick....I would love some help and advice, please!
First thing is a proper holster, ammunition and training. A basic cleaning kit is necessary too. READ THE MANUAL. Seriously. Also watch videos about maintenance and cleaning
Also, welcome!

First, welcome to the forum from Kentucky.
As mentioned, a good range bag is something that holds everything you need for a fun day of shooting.
Backpack, old purse etc. it doesn’t have to be expensive.
A good cleaning kit is a must.
1911 firearms can be hard for some to disassemble and clean properly and proper assembly is paramount so if you have concerns contact where you bought it for a maintenance class.
If you plan on carrying your gun for self defense then a good holster and holster belt is important but if you just want to shoot then wait and shop around, like everyone on the forum can attest you can spend a lot of money just trying to find that perfect holster.
Gun safety is the most important part of gun ownership so NEVER have ammunition around when cleaning your gun. Practice, practice, practice and ask a lot of questions that’s how you will learn and be successful.

Good to see that you found a Springfield Ronin in 9mm.
Which one did you buy? 5", 4.25", 4" or 3"?

I prefer a plain range bag, nothing that indicates a firearm is inside.

I carry my pistols to the range in a duffel bag, I have another bag for my ammo, and ear protection etc.
I also take a silicone cloth with me to wipe off the gun(s) after firing.

You should consider using the NRA Marksman Program Pistol Qualification as a plan for your shooting sessions.

PISTOL QUALIFICATION

You might also see if the range you shoot at offers any instruction.
Many have courses specifically for women.

You can look for courses here:

Pistol Courses

Some courses are available online-
ONLINE TRAINING COURSES

Last edited:
The first question should be, "What is your intended use?" That will determine if you "need" other accessories. One item not mentioned is proper and secure storage.
This right here. What is your intended use. Fun at the range? Personal defense ( concealed carry) home defense?

The most important thing right now that is universal, regardless of your intended use, is at least a basic pistol safety course. Check local ranges or ask a trusted friend or Law Enforcement Officer. In this course you will learn how to properly and safely shoot, clean, load, store and handle your firearm. If I were you I might look into a concealed carry class because you will ( or should anyway) learn all those things in that class and as a bonus take care of the qualifications needed to obtain a concealed carry permit.

Other than extra magazines, an Uplula loader and quality target ammunition I would hold off on buying too much stuff just yet. Particularly I wouldn't buy a holster yet because running out and buying a holster based on your very limited knowledge of guns in general and that gun in particular is the very best way to start your collection of unused holsters that wind up taking space in a drawer somewhere. Don't cheap out on the magazines either. Lots of people have good luck with Mec-Gar aftermarket mags, but I would never buy one as long as Wilson, Chip McCormick, Ed Brown or even Kimber produced magazines for my gun. Decent electronic ear muffs are a must and a good pair of safety glasses.

Welcome to the forum from Missouri.

Last edited:
what the others have already suggested.

but i will add at least one more thing, for when your collections builds, that you need to take to the range..

minus the mowing deck of course..

1645364345475.png

The first question should be, "What is your intended use?" That will determine if you "need" other accessories. One item not mentioned is proper and secure storage.
For now, my goal is to become comfortable with the gun at the range. I don't plan to conceal carry for now, I am too nervous about it, despite of taking several safety classes (I am overcoming an unfortunate gun experience I had as a teenager). I am going baby steps and will take private instruction lessons first. So storage: for home or for transport to the range?

For now, my goal is to become comfortable with the gun at the range. I don't plan to conceal carry for now, I am too nervous about it, despite of taking several safety classes (I am overcoming an unfortunate gun experience I had as a teenager). I am going baby steps and will take private instruction lessons first. So storage: for home or for transport to the range?

In that case I would start looking at OWB ( outside the waistband) holsters to utilize while taking classes and range shooting. There is no shortage of good ones. Decide if you want leather or Kydex or a hybrid. It needs to have decent retention ( how well it holds the gun in the holster) and reasonable access ( how fast you can get it out and on target. For home storage I would look at biometric handgun safes. They are small, not terribly expensive and can be bolted down to a heavy nightstand or something. For travel to and from the range or wherever, assuming it didn't come with a hard shell case I might look at a small range bag or perhaps one of those plastic locking cases with foam inside. You shouldn't need to spend more than $40 for either of these.

This right here. What is your intended use. Fun at the range? Personal defense ( concealed carry) home defense?

The most important thing right now that is universal, regardless of your intended use, is at least a basic pistol safety course. Check local ranges or ask a trusted friend or Law Enforcement Officer. In this course you will learn how to properly and safely shoot, clean, load, store and handle your firearm. If I were you I might look into a concealed carry class because you will ( or should anyway) learn all those things in that class and as a bonus take care of the qualifications needed to obtain a concealed carry permit.

Other than extra magazines, an Uplula loader and quality target ammunition I would hold off on buying too much stuff just yet. Particularly I wouldn't buy a holster yet because running out and buying a holster based on your very limited knowledge of guns in general and that gun in particular is the very best way to start your collection of unused holsters that wind up taking space in a drawer somewhere. Don't cheap out on the magazines either. Lots of people have good luck with Mec-Gar aftermarket mags, but I would never buy one as long as Wilson, Chip McCormick, Ed Brown or even Kimber produced magazines for my gun. Decent electronic ear muffs are a must and a good pair of safety glasses.

Welcome to the forum from Missouri.
I intend to use it for home defense. The immediate goal is to become comfortable and safe with it. Not planning to conceal carry for now. I have taken several safety classes in last few years and plan to get a few hours of private instruction also.

Get to know the laws in your state so you don't run afoul of them inadvertently. Some insist you travel with it in the trunk of your vehicle and ammo stored elsewhere for example.
A cheap tool bag from Harbor Freight could be used as a range bag. OTW you can get a basic one for $30-50 that won't break the bank.
Break your gun in with full metal jacket loads. If not used for self defense, you needn't spring for costly self defense loads.
If you can load the gun without a mag loader, skip it, OTW I'd go for the Uplula.
Check online for videos on cleaning and lubing your gun.
Storage at home may depend on your budget, preferences and whether children are in the home.

I intend to use it for home defense. The immediate goal is to become comfortable and safe with it. Not planning to conceal carry for now. I have taken several safety classes in last few years and plan to get a few hours of private instruction also.

There is a nice big can o worms in the home defense arena. Especially for a woman. At this point I would concentrate on your pistol and taking classes that are designed to prepare you ( as best as is possible) for using it in a defensive situation. Your instructor will be able to guide you with regards to ammo and other necessaries. Remember that just because someone with the exact same gun has great luck with, let's say, Federal HST 124 gr. 9MM ammo, that doesn't mean your gun will like it. You will have to shoot different kinds of defense loads to figure out what your gun likes best. Although I will say that Federal HST is a damn fine place to start.

As for home defense, there are possibly much better options as far as firearms are concerned ( hence the can of worms I mentioned earlier). Many people ( myself included) believe shotguns and even AR-15s are a better choice for home defense. Of course that depends on your personal situation. Do you have kids at home or other people living in your house? How close are you to your neighbors houses ? In any case you need to develop a plan of action in the event there is ever a home invasion or other situation in your home which would require deadly force. A real good starting place for that is to designate a safe room, where you can barricade yourself and your family behind cover and where the only place a threat can advance on you is from the front. In the event of a home invasion, retreat to that room with your kids, a phone and a weapon. Call 911 and remain calm and ready to defend yourself if you have to. Like I said, can of worms.

Do find a good instructor and solicit him for advice with regards to your concerns.

Since you want to use it for SD, I would still break in the gun with full metal jacket (FMJ) ammo. Then I would go with a name brand hollow point (HP) and then see if your gun likes it or not.
Keep a good flashlight near your gun at night.
I agree. I would never have recommended that gun as a first choice for a SD weapon, especially for a beginner, but it's what she has and I would suggest running 500-1000 rounds through it as well as testing out SD ammo before completely relying on it for SD. 1911s are notoriously finicky and there are more than a fair share of people having issues with these particular guns. She will need to be trained and practiced on clearing stoppages.

Back