testtest

New Hellcat feeding issues

Hey guys new here. I just purchased a Hellcat OSP. Finally had a chance to take it to the range yesterday. Love the gun!!! Although I was having feeding issues with factory loads and reloads. I was shooting Federal American Eagle 147 grain and the reloads were 115 grain. All of the rounds were round nose and the magazine that was giving me fits was the 13 round. I’ve researched online and could not find anything. Anyone one have issues with this magazine? I have sent an email to Springfield to see what they think as well. That was last night so I don’t expect a response until next week. As of now I would not trust my 13 round mag to carry.

Thanks in advance for any info.

So I own a couple Hellcats both OSP’s & I’m the owner of the Hellcat Facebook page. So I’ve seen a lot of the complaints people have had. This one has not came up as of yet. That being said have you bought an additional Hellcat mag 13 rd to see if it’s just that mag giving you problems? Another question I always ask is did you clean and oil the gun before use? Is your feed ramp bright and shiny when held to light?

When I went to the range with my Hellcat this past Feburary, I had several 13 and 11 round mags filled with Blazer Brass 115gr. It ate all this ammo with no problems at all, along with my Glock G43, CZ 2075 Rami BD, SIG P365, and 3" bbl CZ Scorpion (all with Blazer Brass 115gr. Unfortunately, I only got to shoot about a 20 rd mag for the Scorpion as my range time ran out :mad:). My Walther CCP M2 9mm was another story, as I had plenty of FTF and FTE's with the Blazer Brass 115gr. When I searched on ammo problems for that gun, I found a list of ammo it works well with and a list of ammo it doesn't (yup Blazer Brass 115gr was on the bad list).

In addition to your SA customer service contact, I suggest trying other brands of ammo, and seeing it the problem persists. Until then, I think you are wise holding off on carrying it until you feel the issues no longer exist.

Note: I took all those guns to the range to let a friend try all of them, since he was interested in getting a pocket pistol for EDC. He ended up getting a SIG P938 9mm (one which I don't own), when it came down to that choice, and the SIG P365 and CZ Rami. No figure 🤷‍♂️.

I never had any luck with blazer ammo, aluminum or brass, I usually use Magtech or Fiochhi, and I have had good luck with Federal, personally I wouldn’t judge the gun based on using reloads, maybe try different bullet weight, say, 124 gr, some guns do have a issue with the 147gr bullet, but as BET7 said, try some other brands and see if it still happens.

So I own a couple Hellcats both OSP’s & I’m the owner of the Hellcat Facebook page. So I’ve seen a lot of the complaints people have had. This one has not came up as of yet. That being said have you bought an additional Hellcat mag 13 rd to see if it’s just that mag giving you problems? Another question I always ask is did you clean and oil the gun before use? Is your feed ramp bright and shiny when held to light?

Thanks for the feedback.
Everything was cleaned the night before. All details you listed pertaining to the barrel and feed ramp are spot on. I have not bought a new mag to try. I understand issues come up and that is why I sent an email to customer service. I would also like to know what they recommend. If I have to I will buy another mag but want to see what SA says. I would like to follow KLGunner on Facebook if you can provide a link

Thanks all I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the feedback.
Everything was cleaned the night before. All details you listed pertaining to the barrel and feed ramp are spot on. I have not bought a new mag to try. I understand issues come up and that is why I sent an email to customer service. I would also like to know what they recommend. If I have to I will buy another mag but want to see what SA says. I would like to follow KLGunner on Facebook if you can provide a link

Thanks all I will keep you posted.

I took my new Hellcat to the range for the first time today. It fed and fired everything I gave it, including rounds that my Honor Guard 9 couldn’t fire. Both the 13 and the 11 round magazines fed flawlessly. I’m guessing the highly polished feed ramp contributed to my satisfying experience.

One outing isn’t enough to ensure continued flawless performance, but I’m very encouraged.

Getting back to you all about the feeding issues I was having.

I purchased a new 13 round mag and made sure the gun was cleaned. Feed ramp shiny and bright. Stopped by the local indoor range and put a few hundred rounds through it. I used the rest of the Federal, some Lawman and reloads. It performed flawlessly. I used all magazines and no malfunctions. I have a tendency to bend my elbow with my dominate arm while shooting. I think that maybe the gun was not allowed to recoil correctly if that makes sense.

I purchased a new 13 round mag and made sure the gun was cleaned. Feed ramp shiny and bright. Stopped by the local indoor range and put a few hundred rounds through it. I used the rest of the Federal, some Lawman and reloads. It performed flawlessly. I used all magazines and no malfunctions. I have a tendency to bend my elbow with my dominate arm while shooting. I think that maybe the gun was not allowed to recoil correctly if that makes sense.
My take is the gun needed a good second cleaning and some more rounds put through it. Not sure about the elbow but if you noticed that it means you’re being intuitive about your stance and shooting style and that’s a good thing.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Hope your loving the Hellcat now. As far as the elbow thing like said just above sounds like it’s something you may want to train on to get better. Good catch on self issues means you’ll be great. Be safe and shoot straight. God bless.

I used to have a real bad habit on small semi-auto pistols of limp wristing them when I shot, which in turn caused me some issues, finally got out of that habit, glad your gun is shooting ok for you now, enjoy it.

Hey guys new here. I just purchased a Hellcat OSP. Finally had a chance to take it to the range yesterday. Love the gun!!! Although I was having feeding issues with factory loads and reloads. I was shooting Federal American Eagle 147 grain and the reloads were 115 grain. All of the rounds were round nose and the magazine that was giving me fits was the 13 round. I’ve researched online and could not find anything. Anyone one have issues with this magazine? I have sent an email to Springfield to see what they think as well. That was last night so I don’t expect a response until next week. As of now I would not trust my 13 round mag to carry.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Had the same problem, but with the 11rd. Jammed twice not on ejection, but feeding. I'm thinking maybe when the spring loosens up a little, maybe it'll stop? Contacted SA and they've sent me a new 11rd. 13rd seems fine, but like you won't carry with 11rd. Was shooting Sig 124gr v-Crown jhp. Happened again with Federal 115gr target ammo. Not thrilled at any rate. Have both 11rd's going to sit a month or two fully loaded and see if that helps. It's an obvious issue with their springs I'm assuming

1st time gun owner,... last handgun I fired was my service weapon. A Korean era 1911 .45 ACP some 40 years ago! :ROFLMAO:

I just finished two range sessions with my brand new Hellcat. First time firing it.

I have 2-SA OEM magazines, one that came with the pistol one I purchased at the range along with the oem 11 round mag.

I ran Speer Gold dot 118 & 124 gr hollowpoint ammo along with some fmj 105gr reloads.

I fired about 100 rounds the first session. I experienced about 4 misfeeds.

Two types,.. 1st one, the slide locked back so I thought Id emptied the mag. When i released it and saw I still had some rounds, I thought WTF??

I ejected the round,.. reloaded and finished the mag.

Second type,.. the slide cycles but the trigger doesn't reset. I release the mag, rack the slide to eject the unspent round and replaced the magazine.

I was told by the range folks that this was likely normal during the break in period for the weapon, but my second session went much worse for misfeeds with all three mags, and even some misfires.

I used up the rest of the Gold dot ammo (30 rnds) without issue, but when I started firing different ammo. (Federal 147gr HST and the range fmj reloads.) i got many misfeeds and even one misfire with the Federal ammo.

I noticed with the second type of misfeed, the slide is not cycling ALL the way forward & failing to re-set the trigger.

It's about 1mm shy of fully seated and I noticed when I release the magazine,.. the slide does move forward with the unspent round still in the chamber.

Pretty sure my weapon is defective.

I'm going to clean it lubricated reassemble it and take it to the range one more time if I'm experiencing the same trouble I guess it goes back to Springfield

I brought my Hellcat home tonight. It was BONE-DRY. I cleaned and lubed, and ran 2 mags of Wolf steel-case 115 FMJ through it, with no errors on the gun's part. The only error I encountered was 100% my fault - my strong thumb tripped the mag release because my grip put it too low. My curled pinky kept the mag from dropping, and kept it in place long enough to finish firing all the rounds...but I need to adjust for it in the future.

I'm not a fan of the steel case, but I can use it at home for practice, and save the brass I have for trips to the range. And, it seems to run through the gun just fine. First mag (11) was slow, figuring out point-of-aim and sight picture (I started with the dot too high in the U, and was shooting about 2" high at 7 yards); second mag (13) was a speed-dump to see how the gun ran - and I tripped the release button about halfway through the mag. But for feed, trigger reset, and slide recoil...zero issues.

Has anyone ran Lehigh defense ammo through their hellcat yet? I've heard the shape of the round can be hard to cycle on some pistols. Its what I want to carry with but I can't seem to get a couple boxes for carry and for run-through. Thanks

Has anyone ran Lehigh defense ammo through their hellcat yet? I've heard the shape of the round can be hard to cycle on some pistols. Its what I want to carry with but I can't seem to get a couple boxes for carry and for run-through. Thanks

I'd stick with a standard, quality JHP...there’s really no proof out there that shows those LeHigh style rounds do anything better for what they cost.

1st time gun owner,... last handgun I fired was my service weapon. A Korean era 1911 .45 ACP some 40 years ago! :ROFLMAO:

I just finished two range sessions with my brand new Hellcat. First time firing it.

I have 2-SA OEM magazines, one that came with the pistol one I purchased at the range along with the oem 11 round mag.

I ran Speer Gold dot 118 & 124 gr hollowpoint ammo along with some fmj 105gr reloads.

I fired about 100 rounds the first session. I experienced about 4 misfeeds.

Two types,.. 1st one, the slide locked back so I thought Id emptied the mag. When i released it and saw I still had some rounds, I thought WTF??

I ejected the round,.. reloaded and finished the mag.

Second type,.. the slide cycles but the trigger doesn't reset. I release the mag, rack the slide to eject the unspent round and replaced the magazine.

I was told by the range folks that this was likely normal during the break in period for the weapon, but my second session went much worse for misfeeds with all three mags, and even some misfires.

I used up the rest of the Gold dot ammo (30 rnds) without issue, but when I started firing different ammo. (Federal 147gr HST and the range fmj reloads.) i got many misfeeds and even one misfire with the Federal ammo.

I noticed with the second type of misfeed, the slide is not cycling ALL the way forward & failing to re-set the trigger.

It's about 1mm shy of fully seated and I noticed when I release the magazine,.. the slide does move forward with the unspent round still in the chamber.

Pretty sure my weapon is defective.

I'm going to clean it lubricated reassemble it and take it to the range one more time if I'm experiencing the same trouble I guess it goes back to Springfield
The only thing I could say right off the bat is the Hellcat is a very small gun and the kinds of issues you’re mentioning are often a result of poor grip or form. I would suggest shooting from a braced position and/or let the RSO dump a mag. You wouldn’t believe how many long time shooters pick up a micro-compact and have problems at first.

Back