testtest

New NGSW. 6.8mm (.277 Fury) Would you buy it ??

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Question for the group:

Would you switch from 5.56 or even 6.5 CM to the new NGSW rifle in .277 Fury (6.8mm?

Lets say for arguments sake the rifle has been out for awhile. Costs have come down from the $8k current model and settle in at FN SCAR pricing around $3500. Even better lets say attrition of numbers produced gets it to $2500-$2700. (Price of a few high end makers in 5.56 currently)

Would you buy the rifle ?
Why or why not ?

—————
“The NGSW program was centered around the need for an unconventional cartridge loaded with a bullet designed to perform at unusually high velocities. The 6.8mm (.277 in.) projectile was designed by Picatinny Arsenal. The round is believed to be based on the hard-target penetrating performance of the military Enhanced Performance Round (EPR) loaded in the 5.56mm M855A1 cartridge, but specifics have been shrouded in secrecy.”

I’ll answer my own question:

Prob no at this point.
.308 has proven effective for what I need it for on game animals. I’m not a distance shooter for targets as a normal thing I like to do.(200+ yards)
I have .270 and .270WBY Mag bolt guns for shooting bigger game.. at distance.

6.5 grendel, .300BO, .308 and 5.56 are all the AR’s I really want right now.

Doesnt seem like cross capability of the AR lower with any other caliber like .300BO/5.56 and .308/6.5CM

Edit: so it is multi cal with barrel change, so scratch my last sentence above)

Last edited:
That's a hard pass for me considering my ammo choices are mostly based on target shooting and protection of the homestead and most of the more commonly known/available calibers fill that role with with I'd assume would be a greatly reduced cost compared what the .277 Fury rounds will most likely cost.

Yes. They significant extra performance/over-watch capability fits very well into the part of the country I live in.

Those that live back east, in scrublands and/or on the coastal areas don't have the range needs like those in the arid/semi-arid south-southwest/Great Plains/interior West.

The new cartridge rifle combo will first essentially be a specialty system for the front-line/Spec Ops types., although the M250 MG in 6.8/.277 has a clear performance advantage over the M249.

I see the M250 replacing the M249/M240 a lot faster than the M5 replacing the M4/M16 over-all.

The AR15/M4 5.56mm will be around for a long time in military use, as well as civi.

Last edited:
No I wouldn't. Proprietary ammo will be expensive, probably not reloadable, and I really don't have a need for it. One of my ARs is 5.56, another is 300 BO in addiction to pistols and rifles and the KY longrifle model I'm building.

Then there's the matter of magazines, parts etc. To me, the rifle is too much of an unknown as I haven't really been paying attention to this.
If I were to get another "tactical" gun it would probably be a PCC

So pardon my ignorance, but what about the rest of NATO, are they also adopting the new 6.8? Or are we going to go at this alone? I know France just literally just adopted a new 556 gun. I thought the whole point of having a standard was that all of our allies used the same munitions?

And no, common ammo is still inflated so can you imagine having to feed a 277 fury?

While the NATO standard has been the 5.56 for small arms & 7.62/.50 cal for MGs there's been a lot of non-standardization when it comes to specialty needs like sniper rifles.

Plus, in eastern Europe there's still a lot of COMBLOC weapons still in front-line/reserve use.

The US isn't dumping the 5.56/7.62x51 right now & both rds. will be in use for decades.

That being said, it will be up to the NATO members to decide whether they have the need to add weapons chambered in the 6.8x51 to their arsenals.

Way outside my price range. However I do really like the capabilities of that round, so perhaps if it becomes popular there will eventually be more economical options. Granted with the new gun laws in my state it may not be worth it by the time it’s friendly enough for me to afford.

So pardon my ignorance, but what about the rest of NATO, are they also adopting the new 6.8? Or are we going to go at this alone? I know France just literally just adopted a new 556 gun. I thought the whole point of having a standard was that all of our allies used the same munitions?

And no, common ammo is still inflated so can you imagine having to feed a 277 fury?
Just because the US has a shiny new gun the other countries can make their own. I think @Talyn posted a while back that some Asian country produced a new round (something short like/similar to a 7.62x39, but a small caliber). This will likely be used as SF or company use type. Later on it could be more widely used by more US forces across the board.

I'd love to shoot a rifle in the caliber, I'm in no hurry to get a firearm chambered in said caliber.
Caliber or cartridge? I have a 6.8spc and it has been a good cartridge. Before I installed QL I've thought about a 27-08/6.8-08 for use of 130-150gr bullets. Dropping in calibers and using the same weight bullets the BC gets higher. Also the bullets get longer and less room for powder, i.e. a little less velocity, but less drop due to higher bc. A 135gr bullet screaming behind 80k of pressure will be pretty flat shooting. They should use a 145-150gr for more retained energy and less drop for the m250. QL (quick load a ballistic reloading program for reloading) list wildcat cartridges and there are several 27cal cartridges on there. For a long time there was just 270win, 270wsm and 270whby is all that most knew about. I think QL list a 6.8fury (6.8x51) similar case as a 27/308win (6.8x51). 308win bases case with nearly 17k more pressure. Just looking at Hornady #11 comparing like 150gr sst, the 27cal list bc at .525 and 30cal at .415. Under 500 yards that doesn't mean much, but 1k the drop is feet apart instead of just inches.

Just because the US has a shiny new gun the other countries can make their own. I think @Talyn posted a while back that some Asian country produced a new round (something short like/similar to a 7.62x39, but a small caliber). This will likely be used as SF or company use type. Later on it could be more widely used by more US forces across the board.

Back