testtest

New Research on Hunting with AR-Platform Rifles

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
New research from Outdoor Stewards of Conservation Foundation (OSCF) sheds light on what type of firearms hunters prefer, and provides detailed insights into hunting with AR-Platform rifles

1699639380057.png

I've been hunting with the AR platform for many years. don't think i could go back to hunting with a bolt action. several instances where a bolt gun wouldn't been a good idea. think i have told a couple stories here. when you hunt where apex predators in packs run then the more rounds the merrier. now this is arguable but not for me. when that 600 pound hog charged me, i'm just thankful i didn't have a bolt gun. yeah i know if you hit in the right spot you don't need more than one round, but that's easy said when a huge boar charges you at about twenty yards and your scope is set on 10 power and useless.

I've posted this picture several times to serve as an example of hunting with AR-Platform/Modern Sporting rifles. I find it much earlier to carry through the woods than the Remington 742 that I used for many years. The .308 might be a bit of a trade-off from the 30.06, but not by much.
buck.jpg

I've been hunting with the AR platform for many years. don't think i could go back to hunting with a bolt action. several instances where a bolt gun wouldn't been a good idea. think i have told a couple stories here. when you hunt where apex predators in packs run then the more rounds the merrier. now this is arguable but not for me. when that 600 pound hog charged me, i'm just thankful i didn't have a bolt gun. yeah i know if you hit in the right spot you don't need more than one round, but that's easy said when a huge boar charges you at about twenty yards and your scope is set on 10 power and useless.
exactly we hunt hogs with ar 10. even up off the ground, its nice to hit one and be ready if the pack charges at you
or if i dont hit him dead one, plus having a rifle at the ready when you pluck the big one up off the ground and the runner decide to come back
despite what the view states...it does not cause the pig or deer to obliterate

When i first started hunting with AR's for deer, the older traditional hunters made fun of me and said all the usual stuff like why you need that or that thing couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. didn't phase me none, i been fascinated with them since i was young. they do shut up fast when you bring deer in and shot from long distance. matter fact some even converted after a while. as hogs became more prevalent on our lease they really started using them.

This makes sense. If I were to have to push bush instead of sitting in a stand, I would feel far safer with an AR. Wolves usually will keep their distance, but bear and mountain cat won't. Especially this time of year.

This makes sense. If I were to have to push bush instead of sitting in a stand, I would feel far safer with an AR. Wolves usually will keep their distance, but bear and mountain cat won't. Especially this time of year.
If you decide to go the AR10-type route look at the Ruger SFAR due to it's lighter weight.

I know that if you are hunting with a AR rifle IDNR (Illinois Department of Natural Resources) treat you totally different than if you were using a bolt action rifle.

I know that if you are hunting with a AR rifle IDNR (Illinois Department of Natural Resources) treat you totally different than if you were using a bolt action rifle.
This article is dated 2020 so there may have been some changes:

I love hunting with my AR

View attachment 46988

We are talking antique rifles right?
I love hunting with them frontstuffers. used to have a bunch of pics with them and deer and hogs. but my hardrive crahed a couple years ago and lost all of them. think i got a couple pics with the modern inlines. Never killed a deer with a BP pistol and would love too. but it's not in the cards for a while.

Back