testtest

New S&W Shield Plus 13+1

Tempting as it is I typically try not to buy a new release firearm until a few months go by just to see if there's any reported issues on a large scale like issues with the P320 and the S&W EZ9 recalls.

I'll let everyone else find the bugs before I contemplate buying one.

The new Shield does look nice though!

Just when I was getting ready to bite the bullet and get a Hellcat, this happens! I hope someone can do a side by side shooting comparison for this very soon. I'm not so sure that I want to wait very long, just because of possible changing gun laws and such. And right now the aftermarket is set up for the Hellcat. Might take awhile before the aftermarket catches up with the Smith & Wesson, assuming it might need some upgrades. Decisions, decisions!
How would aftermarket have to catch up? I purchased the Shield Plus and it fits in all my old Shield Holsters. I can put my light or laser on it and all the sights will swap out. I guess maybe aftermarket barrels, mag extensions, etc. but as far as a trigger upgrade I don't think you'll need one but you might want one I guess but the trigger is nice, crisp and is wider than the old triggers. $489.99 for mine because I didn't want to wait on the PC version. Already have sights I can put on it so I didn't get the stock night sights. I'll put it into my carry rotation after a few hundred rounds but I still prefer my Hellcat.

How would aftermarket have to catch up? I purchased the Shield Plus and it fits in all my old Shield Holsters. I can put my light or laser on it and all the sights will swap out. I guess maybe aftermarket barrels, mag extensions, etc. but as far as a trigger upgrade I don't think you'll need one but you might want one I guess but the trigger is nice, crisp and is wider than the old triggers. $489.99 for mine because I didn't want to wait on the PC version. Already have sights I can put on it so I didn't get the stock night sights. I'll put it into my carry rotation after a few hundred rounds but I still prefer my Hellcat.
I am excited about it, but also the Hellcat. I'm going to wait it out until I can test fire both. One of the ranges I frequent will let you rent/try out their firearms before you purchase it. I've been carrying my XDs .45 since 2012 as my EDC. I'm a tried and true .45 guy, but I've decided to finally introduce a 9 mm into my carry inventory. Seems like a lot of guys on this forum change out firearms as often as they change their socks. I don't have a bottomless pot of gold, so when I purchase a firearm, I'm kind of picky. It has to be right for me, as I'll be using/carrying it for years. Hopefully I can get my hands on both soon, so I can make my decision.

I am excited about it, but also the Hellcat. I'm going to wait it out until I can test fire both. One of the ranges I frequent will let you rent/try out their firearms before you purchase it. I've been carrying my XDs .45 since 2012 as my EDC. I'm a tried and true .45 guy, but I've decided to finally introduce a 9 mm into my carry inventory. Seems like a lot of guys on this forum change out firearms as often as they change their socks. I don't have a bottomless pot of gold, so when I purchase a firearm, I'm kind of picky. It has to be right for me, as I'll be using/carrying it for years. Hopefully I can get my hands on both soon, so I can make my decision.

Not a bottomless pit of gold, but I'm not poor. I choose to spend my disposable cash on things I like. Which is generally guns and guitars.

I have zero experience with the Hellcat. Lots of guys here love them though. There is that trigger thing with them, but it seems to be a non-issue for most people. I do on the other hand have some Shields and they all just flat out run flawlessly. I have no plans to upgrade to the new Shield +, but if I didn't already have a few I would pick the + over the M 2.0. About a year ago they started producing the 4" models.. I resisted those too. The only complaint, if you call it that, I have with the Shields are the same complaint I have with 99% of all striker fired pistols. The trigger. The stock triggers on the M 1.0 and M 2.0 aren't terrible, but they are kind of gritty and have some slop in them. I have tried Shields with the Apex kits in them and they didn't impress me either. From the reviews, the new Shield + has a much better trigger. Which I say it's about time. It isn't like a halfway decent stock trigger in a striker gun is a new concept. HK and Walther have had them for years. Like you, I am a .45 guy. When I decided to give 9mm a try I bought the Walther Q5 Match. Then I decided I wanted a carry gun in 9mm and I bought an HK VP9. If you want a fantastic, high capacity, 4" 9mm with a fantastic trigger, you want a VP9. As much as I love my .45s I find myself carrying the VP9 more than any other pistol I own ( on my own time. Work is a different situation that requires absolute concealment so I carry the Shields).

S&W steps up to the plate...

Looks like 10+1 flush, 13+1 extended; knowing S&W, the Performance Center versions are coming soon, with optics capabilities.

Also—for people who want a .40 in this size package? This is what you’ll get it in...S&W has a stake in keeping the .40 going. I’d expect it in the next year or so; probably 8 round flush, 11 round extended.
I would definitely pick up a .40 S&W version of the Shield Plus. .40 S&W is a secondary caliber for me, but I own a couple guns chambered in it and have a bit of ammo on hand. I always feel better about buying a new gun if it fills a niche that my other guns don't. To the best of my knowledge, there are no increased-capacity micro compacts chambered in .40, so I clearly don't already have one.

My desire for a .40 S&W micro is not limited to any particular brand. I'd be equally willing to purchase a .40 caliber Hellcat or P365.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a .45, but I wouldn’t expect a dramatic increase in capacity over the single stack—2-3 rounds at the most.
I'd really like to see a .45 ACP Hellcat. The XDS Mod.2 fits my hand perfectly and is very easy for me to conceal. The only thing that holds me back from carrying the XDS is the 5-round capacity with the flush mag. An increase of 2-3 rounds would be a dramatic improvement that would make it a viable carry option.

I'd definitely consider a Shield Plus in .45 ACP, but I would prefer a .45 Hellcat or a version of the XDS with increased capacity. If S&W becomes the only manufacturer offering increased capacity micro-compacts in .40 S&W and .45 ACP, then I would likely wind up buying my first members of the Shield family.

Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore and Brownells started advertising them today too.
Actually got to hold one at my local Academy Sports this last weekend, couldn't believe it was in stock. It feels very good as far as grip goes and they solved my only issue with the Shield 9mm with the 13-round extended mag. It felt very much like my .45 Shield with the seven round extended mag. Ergonomics were top notch. Academy puts a trigger lock on all of their display handguns so I couldn't manipulate the trigger. Overall, it felt very good in my hands and it damn near went home with me...lol.

That sideways trigger lock up thing won't happen.
Actually the newer Hellcat (2021) have a revised trigger and it doesn't bind anymore - I have one.
Looking at the pictures for the new Shield, the trigger safety is exactly the shape of the first Hellcat trigger safety (sharp angle), so chances are that it will bind the same way.

Actually the newer Hellcat (2021) have a revised trigger and it doesn't bind anymore - I have one.
Looking at the pictures for the new Shield, the trigger safety is exactly the shape of the first Hellcat trigger safety (sharp angle), so chances are that it will bind the same way.
There are a bunch of bladed triggers like that on a bunch of different guns. Including my Mod 2 XD .45. Yet the issue has only come up with the Hellcat. There are no guarantees in life, but I’d bet money the new Shield will not have that issue.

Yet the issue has only come up with the Hellcat.
Because nobody really complained about it, only a few Hellcat haters.
I just tested the new S&W Shield Plus at my LGS an hour ago and it has the exact same trigger issues like the first gen Hellcat. No surprise, since the shape of that safety blade is identical with Gen 1 Hellcat trigger, with that sharp angle that binds (if pressed starting sideways).
shield-plus.png

Well I don't have a Hellcat so take this for what it's worth, but I would definitely go with the Shield. That sideways trigger lock up thing won't happen. Hans is right about aftermarket support. I have a couple Shield M 2.0s and they have been flawless for thousands of rounds.
Just ditched my hellcat pro for a shield plus and couldn't be happier. Mcarbo.com spring kit that I just installed with the stock trigger and stock sear a bit of sanding and polishing 3.6 pound pull nice short reset amazing. Absolutely love it.

Just ditched my hellcat pro for a shield plus and couldn't be happier. Mcarbo.com spring kit that I just installed with the stock trigger and stock sear a bit of sanding and polishing 3.6 pound pull nice short reset amazing. Absolutely love it.
I have owned most iterations of the M&P line of pistols since 2007. What many people do not realize is that since the m2.0 generation guns arrived (new sears), you really do not need any after-market parts to make the triggers spectacular. If you know where to stone and polish the trigger components, you can actually make an M&P have super smooth triggers at any weight you desire.

I know, but I'll never tell. Shhhh.

Back