testtest

NEWBIE NEEDS ADVISE

I used to sell motorcycles. For the better part of a dozen years. I can't tell you how many times I heard "my buddy says I should get a..."....and it was totally WRONG.

Figure out what you want to do with it.

Figure out how you want to use it.

Figure out how you want to carry it.

Then, go to a local gun shop (LGS), and tell them those three things. And stop. See what the pros suggest, when they can see you physically, athletically, size-wise and shape-wise.

There's your starting point. Handle (safely!) what they suggest, and see which ones you and your body and your brain like the best. Make note of those. Then, find a range with rentals and shoot as many of them as you can, to get a feel for them and how they behave, and more importantly, how they behave for YOU.

One gun will grab you by the throat and scream "I'M THE ONE!!!" at you.

And then, you'll know.

When I was shopping for my first, I tried all sorts of handguns - full frame, compact, subcompact, revolver, hammer, striker, you name it. None of them really grabbed me. Some were awful - I hatehateHATE the grip angle of a Glock, it feels like a 2x4 to me - some were "meh, I could do that if I had to", but nothing really reached out and forced me to pay attention. I'd fired about everything in the rental case three or four times (meaning "sessions", not bullet count) and was at a loss. My certification day was here and I had to pick something - I wasn't going to test/qualify on "a" gun, I (for personal reasons) wanted to do that with MY gun.

I moved to the retail case - again - and was looking through inventory. The P365 was neat; they had a couple of Sigs that were OK. I dug the idea of a Walther, but the physicality of it...didn't work for my hands. I picked up one XD-s (1.0 - the original version with the waffle grip), and it was pretty nice. I kinda liked it. Closest yet, but...still not quite there. I picked up a gray one that was next to it just because it "wasn't black" (still a version 1.0), and it was PERFECT. Turns out, that's the difference between backstrap #1 (small/flat) and backstrap #2 (larger/rounder)! The 'smith saw the look on my face and grabbed some leftover 9mm rounds from the range - 5 total - and told me to go shoot it. I sent the target out to 7 yards and put 5 rounds through 3 holes.

I handed him my credit card as soon as I got out of the lane.

I took the class. My four qualification targets were 250/248/248/250.

I still carry that same XD-s, every single day.

Try enough...and one WILL grab you.

You'll just....know.

But...you're the only one who can answer that question. Others can answer the "how reliable is a", and "what modifications can I do to a" questions...but only YOU can answer the "what works best for me" question.

Welcome from Northern Illinois ..
I don't know where you are located,but near me there are a few shops that rent firearms and have many classes such as introduction to firearms to help novices.
I don't take too much info from paid writers in gun magazines I listen to forum members they use their firearms and will be truthful if you have questions.

Peglegjoe had a fantastic point I was going to make: 👍👍👍

“here's your starting point. Handle (safely!) what they suggest, and see which ones you and your body and your brain like the best. Make note of those. Then, find a range with rentals and shoot as many of them as you can, to get a feel for them and how they behave, and more importantly, how they behave for YOU.

One gun will grab you by the throat and scream "I'M THE ONE!!!" at you.

And then, you'll know.”

Yeah, there’s at least 16 guns that grabbed me and said “ I’m the one”. It’s also fair to assume the pros ( guys who work at gun stores) probably know less than anyone here does. Most of the ones around here are kids in their early 20s. Every time I get a new gun shipped to them for transfer they want to check it out because they’ve never seen one.

the point about shooting all the ones you’re interested in is extremely valid.

Wow, thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and all the replies! So much info to go through and make decisions on. Quite frankly, I'm a little terrified. Life has been a bit scary lately and things don't seem to be getting better so this is definitely a must. @papa...I'm in a Western Suburb of Chicago, roughly 20/30 min. on the expressway.

I do have a friend or two that are gun carriers, just wanted to have some additional convos on the subject. Now with all this information I got here, I feel like I didn't read a thing! :LOL:

Wow, thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and all the replies! So much info to go through and make decisions on. Quite frankly, I'm a little terrified. Life has been a bit scary lately and things don't seem to be getting better so this is definitely a must. @papa...I'm in a Western Suburb of Chicago, roughly 20/30 min. on the expressway.

I do have a friend or two that are gun carriers, just wanted to have some additional convos on the subject. Now with all this information I got here, I feel like I didn't read a thing! :LOL:
I also live S.W. of Chicago,good luck finding a firearm in stock.
Most shops near me won't even take a deposit or order anymore.

A lot of good replies here. I am not a big fan of revolvers especially small ones. J Frames give you a significant recoil and can lead to you not wanting to practice and developing a flinch. A larger say .357 will work and you can practice with .38 special but even a worked on DA/SA revolver trigger is not great.

As an acknowledged H&K fan my go to recommendation is a P30sk. It is not too small and not too large. You have a great grip which is also adjustable. It also has a hammer which I think is a good thing for a new shooter. Now no one is going to confuse a H&K trigger with a 1911 trigger but the SA is pretty nice. You can also go LEM which is very interesting. The almost exact gun is available striker fired in the VP9sk with a better trigger. You can feel the quality of an H&K and IMO is worth the slight difference in price.

First of all, congratulations on obtaining your FOID. If you are looking to a definitive answer to your question you will have to be more specific on your gun needs and why you want a gun. As it stands now, you are going to get a wide variety of answers and suggestions, all of which may tend to confuse you rather than help.

I'm new to this forum myself but not too wet-behind-the-ears when it comes to firearms. What you choose to shoot is entirely a personal choice and does require some research before diving in and buying a Super Gonzo Zombie blaster and wasting a whole lot of $$$. Rather than take any advice I might give I would suggest going to YouTube and watching a few videos by Paul Harrell. Lotsa info for beginners and old hands alike (although the Old hands will ALWAYS argue a point. LOL) Paul's fun to watch too. Here's a link to his "Channel".

If you get a Super Gonzo Zombie Blaster, you might try to get some of Hans Gruber's UberDethwulf Exploding Hollow Points (his proprietary reloads). Search "Recommended ammo for the XD 9mm" on the forum for his post which contains good advice on ammo. Sorry Hans, but I just couldn't help connecting the two...LOL!

Last edited:
Good Morning Ali,

Too many women are gun store prey for predatory salesmen.

Do not access gun magazines for advice. Gun magazines are entertainment. They are not professional journals.

Skip the ladder myth of handgun purchases. You do not have to begin with a .22 and climb the illusory ladder of cartridge efficacy. Unless you're suffering a precluding physical ailment, there is no doubt in my mind that your first handguns rounds could be fired from a 1911-A1 .45 Auto.

Some 10 years ago, I was in an Orange County, CA gun store. I talked with a women who was probably in her mid-30's. She wanted a handgun for protection against a violent ex-boyfriend.. She had a domestic violence restraining order on him, which meant, when translated, a judge had opined that he was a threat to her safety.

I told her that a salesman was going to steer her to a .380 Auto because she was a woman. I politely told her to not consider anything less than a 9MM. Her number was called. I heard the clerk try to get her .380 Autp oriented. She didn't go for his myopic opinion. She told him that she didn't want a .380 Auto. I completed my business and left w/o knowledge of what she bought.

I've taught more than a few women to shoot, all of whom had never fired handguns. All began their first shooting experiences with either a .38 Special or a .40 S&W. Even petite women can do well with large caliber handguns.

Do not fall for the myth that revolvers are more reliable than semis. I've never had a good quality or better semi fail. I've had 3 S&W revolvers suffer catastrophic failure. Excellent quality semis are more reliable than revolvers.

Do not fall for the myth of "one shot stop". Absent a CNS hit, there is no such thing as one shot stop.

Gun magazines and gun forums a rife with opinions supported by myths and illusions.

It would be of immense help to learn the biological process of human incapacitation. A bad guy with his heart shredded by a good guy's bullet will have 8 seconds of vertical geometry remaining, longer than necessary to kill a good guy. 8 seconds is an eternity when a bad guy is shooting at you.

Any hit on a marauder is a good hit. Some hits are better than others, but any hit is a good hit. Hence, a handgun cartridge capable of inflicting maximum damage is superior than lesser cartridges. Therefore, should a bullet from your handgun strike a bad guy's forearm, a cartridge firing a bullet that has proven efficacy for rendering that arm useless would enhance probability of your survival. Absent a CNS hit, a bad guy could continue to shoot at you until his blood pressure hits zero. Everything living will die at termination of oxygenation blood flow to its brain. Therefore, go with a cartridge that has proven efficacy of causing most blood loss. Bigger is better is not a not insignificant banality.

If you have friends who're cops, solicit their advice. Ask them to take you shooting. BTW, at one time, CPD's official duty weapon was a .38 Special revolver. Cops could carry any second gun they desired as long as a .38 Special revolver was on their duty belts. Many Chicago cops carried a .45 Auto as their second gun, which was their primary gun when they were confronted by deadly force.

Ali, based upon my knowledge, training, expertise, and experience, I've never been a 9MM aficionado. I been exposed to too many shooting incidents in which the 9MM failed and failed miserably. The only benefit of 9MM handguns was magazine capacity. There is tactical advantage to not having to reload. There is tactical disadvantage caused by too long focused on one deadly threat.

My initial impression of the .40 S&W was it was a gimmick round until law enforcement use of it convinced me it wasn't. I admitted I was wrong. The .40 S&W is an excellent handgun cartridge. The best on-duty handgun I've carried was a Sig P229 .40 S&W.

You'll have to go with a handgun that's perfect for you. Do not buy a handgun that's perfect for the person recommending it. Nearly all of the time, I advise people who want a self-defense handgun to avoid revolvers. Revolvers have far too many tactical disadvantages. You'd do more praying than shooting if you were forced to reload a revolver at night under stress of inbound lead.

For decades, I relied upon a 5-shot revolver for off-duty use. At the time, the 2" Model 36 and its sister, the 2" Model 60, were the definitive off-duty handguns. They were poor choices. After a lot of research, I determined that the Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM was my revolver's most perfect replacement. As I've aforementioned, I'd much rather have a .45 Auto because of my knowledge of human incapacitation. However, with 147 grain Fed HST LE ammo, the 9MM is a very good self-defense cartridge. The EMP 3 is extremely easy to conceal. It's added weight, which ain't significant, vis-a-vis featherweight 9MM handguns is a benefit. It mitigates recoil thus allowing my gun's muzzle to remain on a threat. Reacquiring sight picture due to recoil is a potentially fatal tactical disadvantage.

Research before deciding. Access law enforcement professional journals. Don't waste money on gun magazines. They're entertainment, not knowledge. Research accidental/negligent discharges.

You do what's right for you. Keep in mind that I'm as close to positive (1 with no preceding decimal point) that you could fire your first handgun round through a 1911-A1 .45 Auto, assuming you do not suffer physical limitations. Semis' recoil design greatly mitigates felt recoil. You'll absorb all recoil when firing a revolver.

Striker fired handguns are all the rage in handguns. I've never owned a striker fired handgun. I'll never own a striker fired handgun. While they're less expensive than hammer fired handguns, that might just be illusory savings. Striker fired handguns have created a long rap sheet for accidental discharges. Another retired cop friend recently sent me store video camera footage of an accidental discharge that was nearly fatal for the store clerk. He had a striker fired handgun.

Based upon what I know (as opposed to believe), the 1911-A1 is the safest of all handguns. My wilderness, mean, wild animal handgun is a Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto. It has three safeties. It cannot be fired unless it's within my grasp. My EMP 3 9MM has three safeties.

Ali, buy only what's right for you. Be suspect of cartridges for women. That's a massive and often repeated myth. The only constant is to buy the best quality you can afford. God forbid, if you were confronted by a deadly marauder, your handgun must work.

I wish you the absolute best.

Good Morning Ali,

Too many women are gun store prey for predatory salesmen.

Do not access gun magazines for advice. Gun magazines are entertainment. They are not professional journals.

Skip the ladder myth of handgun purchases. You do not have to begin with a .22 and climb the illusory ladder of cartridge efficacy. Unless you're suffering a precluding physical ailment, there is no doubt in my mind that your first handguns rounds could be fired from a 1911-A1 .45 Auto.

Some 10 years ago, I was in an Orange County, CA gun store. I talked with a women who was probably in her mid-30's. She wanted a handgun for protection against a violent ex-boyfriend.. She had a domestic violence restraining order on him, which meant, when translated, a judge had opined that he was a threat to her safety.

I told her that a salesman was going to steer her to a .380 Auto because she was a woman. I politely told her to not consider anything less than a 9MM. Her number was called. I heard the clerk try to get her .380 Autp oriented. She didn't go for his myopic opinion. She told him that she didn't want a .380 Auto. I completed my business and left w/o knowledge of what she bought.

I've taught more than a few women to shoot, all of whom had never fired handguns. All began their first shooting experiences with either a .38 Special or a .40 S&W. Even petite women can do well with large caliber handguns.

Do not fall for the myth that revolvers are more reliable than semis. I've never had a good quality or better semi fail. I've had 3 S&W revolvers suffer catastrophic failure. Excellent quality semis are more reliable than revolvers.

Do not fall for the myth of "one shot stop". Absent a CNS hit, there is no such thing as one shot stop.

Gun magazines and gun forums a rife with opinions supported by myths and illusions.

It would be of immense help to learn the biological process of human incapacitation. A bad guy with his heart shredded by a good guy's bullet will have 8 seconds of vertical geometry remaining, longer than necessary to kill a good guy. 8 seconds is an eternity when a bad guy is shooting at you.

Any hit on a marauder is a good hit. Some hits are better than others, but any hit is a good hit. Hence, a handgun cartridge capable of inflicting maximum damage is superior than lesser cartridges. Therefore, should a bullet from your handgun strike a bad guy's forearm, a cartridge firing a bullet that has proven efficacy for rendering that arm useless would enhance probability of your survival. Absent a CNS hit, a bad guy could continue to shoot at you until his blood pressure hits zero. Everything living will die at termination of oxygenation blood flow to its brain. Therefore, go with a cartridge that has proven efficacy of causing most blood loss. Bigger is better is not a not insignificant banality.

If you have friends who're cops, solicit their advice. Ask them to take you shooting. BTW, at one time, CPD's official duty weapon was a .38 Special revolver. Cops could carry any second gun they desired as long as a .38 Special revolver was on their duty belts. Many Chicago cops carried a .45 Auto as their second gun, which was their primary gun when they were confronted by deadly force.

Ali, based upon my knowledge, training, expertise, and experience, I've never been a 9MM aficionado. I been exposed to too many shooting incidents in which the 9MM failed and failed miserably. The only benefit of 9MM handguns was magazine capacity. There is tactical advantage to not having to reload. There is tactical disadvantage caused by too long focused on one deadly threat.

My initial impression of the .40 S&W was it was a gimmick round until law enforcement use of it convinced me it wasn't. I admitted I was wrong. The .40 S&W is an excellent handgun cartridge. The best on-duty handgun I've carried was a Sig P229 .40 S&W.

You'll have to go with a handgun that's perfect for you. Do not buy a handgun that's perfect for the person recommending it. Nearly all of the time, I advise people who want a self-defense handgun to avoid revolvers. Revolvers have far too many tactical disadvantages. You'd do more praying than shooting if you were forced to reload a revolver at night under stress of inbound lead.

For decades, I relied upon a 5-shot revolver for off-duty use. At the time, the 2" Model 36 and its sister, the 2" Model 60, were the definitive off-duty handguns. They were poor choices. After a lot of research, I determined that the Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM was my revolver's most perfect replacement. As I've aforementioned, I'd much rather have a .45 Auto because of my knowledge of human incapacitation. However, with 147 grain Fed HST LE ammo, the 9MM is a very good self-defense cartridge. The EMP 3 is extremely easy to conceal. It's added weight, which ain't significant, vis-a-vis featherweight 9MM handguns is a benefit. It mitigates recoil thus allowing my gun's muzzle to remain on a threat. Reacquiring sight picture due to recoil is a potentially fatal tactical disadvantage.

Research before deciding. Access law enforcement professional journals. Don't waste money on gun magazines. They're entertainment, not knowledge. Research accidental/negligent discharges.

You do what's right for you. Keep in mind that I'm as close to positive (1 with no preceding decimal point) that you could fire your first handgun round through a 1911-A1 .45 Auto, assuming you do not suffer physical limitations. Semis' recoil design greatly mitigates felt recoil. You'll absorb all recoil when firing a revolver.

Striker fired handguns are all the rage in handguns. I've never owned a striker fired handgun. I'll never own a striker fired handgun. While they're less expensive than hammer fired handguns, that might just be illusory savings. Striker fired handguns have created a long rap sheet for accidental discharges. Another retired cop friend recently sent me store video camera footage of an accidental discharge that was nearly fatal for the store clerk. He had a striker fired handgun.

Based upon what I know (as opposed to believe), the 1911-A1 is the safest of all handguns. My wilderness, mean, wild animal handgun is a Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto. It has three safeties. It cannot be fired unless it's within my grasp. My EMP 3 9MM has three safeties.

Ali, buy only what's right for you. Be suspect of cartridges for women. That's a massive and often repeated myth. The only constant is to buy the best quality you can afford. God forbid, if you were confronted by a deadly marauder, your handgun must work.

I wish you the absolute best.
From your message:
“Excellent quality semis are more reliable than revolvers. “

i beg to differ.
Both WILL fail.
quality of build, quality of ammo and quality of care are huge factors in a firearm failing. Your blanket statement of semi over revolver is marred. There are excellent semi’s and excellent revolvers, but both will or could fail under a variety of circumstances equally.

But does bear spray work on bears?

There is no valid scientific research that has proved bear spray works on wild bears.

I can write the OC does not work on vicious dogs.
I have personally sprayed a black bear years ago hiking and I have sprayed an attacking dog. Both stopped and allowed me time to exit the scene. bear stepped out in front of me on a trail. Surprised us both. Didnt give him time to decide to run away from me or charge. I sprayed him instantly and backed down the trail the way I came.

From your message:
“Excellent quality semis are more reliable than revolvers. “

i beg to differ.
Both WILL fail.
quality of build, quality of ammo and quality of care are huge factors in a firearm failing. Your blanket statement of semi over revolver is marred. There are excellent semi’s and excellent revolvers, but both will or could fail under a variety of circumstances equally.
I'm good.

I'll go with my actual and considerable professional training. I'm 100% good with you going with yours.

I have personally sprayed a black bear years ago hiking and I have sprayed an attacking dog. Both stopped and allowed me time to exit the scene. bear stepped out in front of me on a trail. Surprised us both. Didnt give him time to decide to run away from me or charge. I sprayed him instantly and backed down the trail the way I came.
My primary bear defense is avoidance. So far, thank God, it's worked.

I've used law enforcement OC on a dog. It didn't faze him. Other cops have had identical experiences using OC spray on dogs. No one wants to kill a dog. And no one wants to endure rabies shots if bitten by a dog.

Back