testtest

Next-Gen Girsan High Power MCP35 PI Light-Weight

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The MCP35 PI LW pistol features an alloy metal frame, making it up to 1/2lb lighter than the traditional steel frame "Hi-Power".

Note: Original alloy-framed FN Browning Hi-Powers were highly sought after.

1696257751470.png

1696257798889.png

1696257850692.png

The MCP35 PI LW pistol features an alloy metal frame, making it up to 1/2lb lighter than the traditional steel frame "Hi-Power".

Note: Original alloy-framed FN Browning Hi-Powers were highly sought after.

View attachment 44499

View attachment 44500

View attachment 44501

"Note: Original alloy-framed FN Browning Hi-Powers were highly sought after."

True, as I found out after researching the FN Browning Hi-Power Belgium Police Trade in I purchased online a few years back. It is the alloy frame version with steel reinforcement in some parts of the frame. Researched confirmed it was a rare version of the Hi-Power.

What's interesting in this new model is the presence of a different "thingy" in the place of the standard steel frame HP locking block/cam/shoulder that is pressed into the frame for the barrel recoil lug which acts as a linkless tilting cam, keeping the barrel captured in the frame but tilting as part of the recoil cycle. This cam is oval shaped.

1696297004043.png
1696297924325.png

Cam must be pressed fit into the frame, and then the frame must be refinished to complete installation.

In the Girsan MCP35 PiLW there is a "round" Pin/Rod in that place, which I suspect secures a steel locking cam/block for the barrel to tilt against vs. the steel-frame locking cam, since the Pi LW frame is an alloy as @BET7 indicates in his post.
1696297652406.png

1696297842905.png

This locking cam/pin/shoulder is one of several of the Browning Hi-Powers' idiosyncrasies and a reflection of it's 90+ yr design, and is a potential failure point if a Hi-Power is fed a steady diet of extra power ammo it's not designed for, and/or when the recoil spring is worn out.

Hopefully, a more in-depth review of the MCP35 PiLW will investigate this. Maybe from BHSS? :unsure:

My .02

Last edited:
BHSS has described that the Argentine FM "Detective" model needed a different recoil spring guide rod and spring to address the difference with the shorter & therefore lighter slide that helps soak up recoil.

This would also apply to the Girsan MCP35 Pi and especially the PiLW model.

Hopefully BHSS will do a review once they get one.

While I have two full-sized FN Browning Hi-Powers I may have to "spring" for a PiLW once they're available. ;)

Last edited:
I just watched the AmmoLand video review & when the gent disassembled it (started looking at the frame interior at 13:30 time stamp) I captured this pic that shows it has a much more substantial locking cam than in a full-sized BHP, and I'll be it's steel.

1696307839477.png

I’ve been contemplating an Sig P229 Legion SAO…this might be the “poor man’s version”…
Considering the PI LW still uses standard HP mags commonality is a plus, plus I have some BHSS upgraded mags 17 rd. mags, and Apex Tactical 19 rd. mags

Last edited:
Get rid of the rail, then it's a true gem.

But then again, I don't like 1911s with rails either........
The make the same gun with (OSP) & without (Match) the rail, so the Pi LW is a Gem.

Back