testtest

No joy

Just being out in the woods away from all the damn noise and people to me is a good day. Hopefully you'll have better luck next venture out...
I agree with you completely. Just being still, listening and watching, completely disconnected. We forget how fast the world is going until we shut it off for a while. The older I get, the more reclusive I become. I'm quite happy with my own company. :)

To leave the hustle and bustle of daily drudgery and sit in nature is outstanding.
I would LIKE to kill a deer for the venison, but if it doesn't happen., life is grand.
Like @belladonna showed in her pics, watching nature and the peace and quiet.
Some folks see that everyday, while others like me have to “get away” to see it.
I’m on 1100 acres of hunting property and it feels like I’m in my own state.
Something to be said for being away from home.

Well, it seems like the days of two or three bucks taken on the first weekend of the season (by our bunch anyway) are gone. The past couple of years have been unseasonably warm. Also, timber wolves have thinned the herds substantially, to the point where only 25 doe tags were issued for the whole area by lottery. A couple of the guys saw a couple bucks, but they were young and quite small.

Where I was...I was mainly entertained by Partridge Families. There were lots of them. There was a lot of doe traffic. If I had had a doe tag, I would have been done by 8AM Saturday morning. It was very peaceful out there though. No cell service, lots of time to disconnect and observe nature. I sleep very well up there.

Hopefully next weekend brings better luck.View attachment 46615View attachment 46616View attachment 46617View attachment 46618View attachment 46619View attachment 46620
Small shooting lane. Is that the only one?

Mines' a bit larger. ;)
DSCF5215s.jpg

Well, we’re north again. Got Wi-Fi so I’ll put this here. The husband was out on a call in SD until late last night so we left this morning. We’ll get a few hours in before dark and some tomorrow before we have to head home. Nobody has seen much today so far. Time will tell…

By now you all have probably figured out that I was not able to fill my little freezer. One of the guys got a small four pointer and a little spiker. No does, as nobody was able to get a doe tag. That's okay though, it just means those boys will be just a little bit bigger next season. The solitude did me good. Now I have to get back to the range and blow off some steam...or lead ;)

By now you all have probably figured out that I was not able to fill my little freezer. One of the guys got a small four pointer and a little spiker. No does, as nobody was able to get a doe tag. That's okay though, it just means those boys will be just a little bit bigger next season. The solitude did me good. Now I have to get back to the range and blow off some steam...or lead ;)
I feel your pain…
My 84 yr old father calls me after every deer hunt and asks if next week end we are having Hot Dogs or Venison for dinner 🤔🤔😬😬🤪

That's ok. I'm sure you had a good time. Here in Missouri there is a minimum horn count ( I forget now, but I think it has to be at least 3 per side) for bucks in most areas. We have almost unlimited doe tags.

That's ok. I'm sure you had a good time. Here in Missouri there is a minimum horn count ( I forget now, but I think it has to be at least 3 per side) for bucks in most areas. We have almost unlimited doe tags.
Almost all of Texas has whats called “antler restrictions”.
A buck must have a spread of 13” of greater.. basically rack must be outside their ear when alert.

I’ve always considered days in the field to be good days, same as days on the water fishing…sure, it’s nice to bring something home, but that’s a bonus.

The reward is just being there.

Back