testtest

Odd issue with 15rnd Hellcat mags

CJinTX

Operator
Founding Member
Have two 15rd Hellcat mags that I loaded with Speer Gold Dots. One day was checking mags and noticed dent in brass. Decided to unload and check the rest and several dented rnds in both mags. All ammo from same box so not sure if ammo or magazines doing it. 11 and 13rnd mags seem fine though they are loaded with Golden Sabers so different ammo.

Any ideas on issue? I am sure they or most likely safe to shoot as dents smooth not sharp but still, not confidence inspiring for some reason. Been carrying 11 plus one and spare 13 and 15’s just sitting there staring at me.

Also normally use Maglula loader since they are some stuff little suckers.

97980ADE-C590-44C4-B7BB-5F4F8CE25DF4.jpeg
28E8F072-F92F-4D59-8B8F-C8C5CC8B1EAB.jpeg

When I purchased my Hellcat I also purchased 5 of the 13 round magazines. So i have six 13 and one 11 magazines. I use the Maglula to load them . I have loaded and unloaded them all and used all of them at the range to be sure they all work well and also inspect my fired brass and have not seen this problem.

Any load assist like the Maglula loader can cause dents in a round especially if the last few rounds being loaded are against a stiff mag spring.

It's not the mag causing the dents it's the loader.

I've dented cases without using a mag loader while pushing a last round into a still mag.

I guess the obvious first question is. Are you sure the were not like that prior to loading?
Honestly didnt check and have been meaning to load both 15 rounders with different brand of ammo and let them sit a while to see if they do the same thing. Also the Maglula pushes on the rear of the case where its strongest so not sure how it would dent mid case or higher?

Bought 2 Hellcat 15 round mags for grip extension rather than capacity and have yet to see this problem. I use a Maglula Uplula to load my mags and double check that each round is fully seated in the mag before the next round is inserted. A simple push on the nose of the round does it. I only exert enough pressure on the Uplula to make enough space for the next round to drop in. I have seen many users exert excessive force when using a loader, slamming the loader down to a stop, which might contribute to this type of outcome. Not saying that CJinTX is doing this as his loader is pushing correctly, just something that came to mind after things I've seen others do at the range.

Back