testtest

Old ammo disposal?

I have a few boxes of old, unshootable ammo in various calibers. We have a dumpster owned by the trash collection service we use, but the instructions list several prohibited items including ammo.
I think my best option may be to dig a small hole and bury said rounds.
Any other suggestions?
The local range always takes mine I given them recall Ammo they usually take anything

This stuff has been stored away for over 20 years. Most is for guns that I no longer own, and could not shoot now due to physical limitations. The rest is badly corroded. I would not want to be responsible for anyone being hurt or damaging their firearm(s).
I was being tongue n cheek

My funny bone is large as my sarcasm meter, and bigger than my Einstein knowledge

Actually, if you’ve got a burn barrel…it’s a good solution.

Since the force of the detonation isn’t channeled by the gun barrel/chamber, all that happens is the case splits and/or just pops the bullet out of the case. There’s no force behind it at all.

I wouldn’t stand around right by the burn barrel, though.
Agree, we've done it. Yes I live in the country and yes the case just usually splits. steel cased stuff is a different animal, don't ask how I know.😉

I was more joking than real in my comment.

You could also soak it in a bowl/bucket of penetrating oil for a few weeks, it should be inert after that

Usually give old ammo into local law enforcement to dispose of. Be aware, some are actually closed to public, I'd call 1st.
- Possibly give old or unwanted ammo to a gun range if they'll take it.

-and-

The local range always takes mine I given them recall Ammo they usually take anything

...would be my two solutions, if burn-barrel is ruled-out (which, in this case, the OP has noted that it is).

Definitely call your local police or fire department's non-emergency lines first, @SubChaser , to establish proper arrival protocol. It's even possible that they will send you to the municipal waste-management facility, which again may have stipulations/protocol.

Some ranges also will take care of old/unfired ammo.

----

As for the burn-barrel issue....

The SAAMI "Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter" informational video is an excellent resource:

Warning, in today's ammo market, viewing this video may cause heartburn.

I wouldn't stand next to an open bonfire burn, at least not without some distance, a leather jacket, turtleneck sweater, jeans, and eye protection (if not full-face protection, like a workman's debris-shield). But a relatively enclosed burn-barrel should not pose excessive danger for sporting ammunition.

Last edited:
The local gun range will have their group of avid reloaders, give it to them. Put the casing back to some good use.

At my range only 1 shooter at a time is allowed. The reloaders that live nearby the range are like scavengers. As soon as they hear the shooting stop they head out to scan the area for casings left behind or missed in the grass. Since I don't reload I leave mine in a box on the shooting table. If I come back 15 minutes later, it's gone lol. So I have no doubt your old ammo will be used in one form or another by reloaders.

Back