testtest

online gunsmithing degree

Not a 100% full on degree, but a 60 hour (4 x 16 weeks) that SDI sends you necessary items (you supply hand tools) for this degree. @ $340/hr x 60 hrs = $20,400 + some other fees comes in around $23,000ish. No machine shop time, but with manufacturer's support they send out receivers, revolvers, shotguns and 1911's (not complete firearms). There's also a 32hr degree. Never knew this was out there to try? I figured it required in-person hands-on type for something like that?

With a family and 4 in school it's impossible to just go somewhere 100's of miles away for 16 weeks at a time. Nothing remotely close to where I live. Maybe if I win the loto it could be done? Sonoran Desert Institute is what I've seen so far, but I'll check out other possibilities. SDI is 800 or so miles from me. This could be an upstart for honing more skills? What school did you attend?

Not a 100% full on degree, but a 60 hour (4 x 16 weeks) that SDI sends you necessary items (you supply hand tools) for this degree. @ $340/hr x 60 hrs = $20,400 + some other fees comes in around $23,000ish. No machine shop time, but with manufacturer's support they send out receivers, revolvers, shotguns and 1911's (not complete firearms). There's also a 32hr degree. Never knew this was out there to try? I figured it required in-person hands-on type for something like that?
While I didn’t have any formal class then, my friend who worked at SSK Industries was one of there smiths, showed and trained me on the fundamentals, mostly on 1911’s and S&W revolvers.

In all honesty you would be better off going to a local school and learn welding and machining first. You would have an an advantage. If you are a crack machinist, you could learn how to disassemble a slide enough to machine optics cuts, thread barrels, machine dovetails.

Think of every yahoo that’s a cerakoter if they can figure out how to take apart a gun, so can you but your edge is you could make a firing pin or part from scratch.

In all honesty you would be better off going to a local school and learn welding and machining first. You would have an an advantage. If you are a crack machinist, you could learn how to disassemble a slide enough to machine optics cuts, thread barrels, machine dovetails.

Think of every yahoo that’s a cerakoter if they can figure out how to take apart a gun, so can you but your edge is you could make a firing pin or part from scratch.
Good thing I already know how to weld, so that's out of the way. Disassembly is easy (complete disassembly ). I'm good to go. Knowing just how to disassemble isn't enough as you would need to reassemble it. Being an artist would help get my ideas on paper without the use of stick figures and balloons :ROFLMAO: . CAD would be an optimum help! I've rebuilt engines (diesel and gasoline), transmissions (manual and automatics), 3rd members, transfer cases and numerous mechanical and electrical machines/engines. Fast study and good hands-on learner. Fairly good with woodworking/carpenter (stocks not so much as of yet). For those mechanics out there that end up with extra parts you know where they go....................the intake or the glovebox;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Having the machines that YOU do would be nice! Cerakoting isn't that difficult, it's making sure there's no oil/grease/debris on the item getting coated baked or not is key for durability. Yes, the mixture needs to be correct also.

No 1st hand knowledge. I will admit I am talking out my backside, so don't let me rain on your parade. JMHO. Another Close Cover Before Striking University bs scam. Still, not any worse than Traditional university degrees in say political science, fine arts, mass media, gender studies....

if one is young to take some time and dedication to learning, this can be a great source of future income, if you could work your way into "part time" work at a gunshop.

at my age, it wouldn't do me any good. so i just watch you tube videos on "some things" for a quick repair, or replacing some parts.

but too, at that cost, one had better set aside his/her own "learning time" and actually apply themselves. otherwise, it's money out the window..

i'd also check with a CPA if this can be used in some way as a tax deduction...schooling...and it might very well have to be an accredited school as well.

also be aware of any "contractual obligations", they can nail you for, if you drop out, or make late, or miss any payments..

Back