testtest

Open Carry consequences?

Hi,

The article does not state whether or not the victim was legally carrying. Odd, or then again, maybe not.

Now that I think about it, Georgia might be Constitutional Carry.

[Edit] Just checked. It is. Still, open carry makes you a target.

Did the shooter know the victim? Or did he just want to nab a free gun?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Yep. A good reason I am against open carry. And if you are going to do it you need a Level II or higher holster.
yes, i agree, in class (concealed carry only here, unless one is a body guard, or armored car guard, which they carry open), we were told to best leave it concealed as to NOT be a target.

and being a target can mean both being shot at first to remove us, or like the above situation.

People on drugs. Of which there are many. Have no problem trying to take a gun off of you. I came across 4 guys stoned out in the wilderness. I will open carry out in the boonies. As we approached each other I could see it was touch & go as to whether or not they were going to make a move on me.A lot depends on how you carry yourself unless your taken by surprise. Then again we now have a lot of people who are just downright aggressive and don't care. I had someone in the parking lot at the gym yesterday that was obviously trying to annoy me into a physical confrontation. they were in their 20s and Im 78.I suppose they figure easy target.I never carry to the gym, but I will now. It's gitting nuts out there.I "Always" have my "black talon 2 " Country's in a sad state.

When I worked as an armed guard I was required to Open Carry.

I think I've said this before but in my experience it caused far more problems than it solved.

In one instance I went into a convenience store at about 3:00 in the morning and somebody tried to snatch my gun. I normally stay out of convenience stores but in this case I had just gassed up the company car and I had to go in and get a receipt.

No matter what, the fact that I was openly armed seem to instigate the hell out of people.

Almost every time I had to trespass somebody off property the first words out of their mouth were "What are you going to do? Shoot me?" Usually followed by a dare to do it.

I was standing outside my apartment one night talking to a neighbor before work. We were standing in the shadows and a couple of kids rode by on bikes and even though we were standing in the shadows they saw that I had a gun and they started talking smack. One of them threatened to knock me on my ass and take the gun.

There was one idiot who was an electrical contractor to the client that I worked for who would go out of his way to find me every time he came to our site and start talking s*** about the fact that I was carrying a gun. Given he was a contractor to the client and he was friends with the site manager there really wasn't anything I could do about it except for go on a long patrol to the other side of the site whenever I saw his truck come through the gate.

In my experience open carry has been nothing but a massive pain in the ass. It doesn't do anything to win Hearts and Minds to the Second Amendment cause and I will never do it again.

Having said all that, I do believe that it should be your choice to open carry or not , not The State's but I also believe that property owners absolutely have a right to forbid the practice on their property.

Hi,

Having said all that, I do believe that it should be your choice to open carry or not , not The State's but I also believe that property owners absolutely have a right to forbid the practice on their property.

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I agree that it should be our choice to carry as we wish. We must keep in mind that John Q. Public will have his own thoughts about that. Concealed carry is certainly more prudent. Several have mentioned that open carry makes you a target, as your situations have attested to.

May I ask for a little clarity concerning your last statement? Here's my thinking.

If I put up a "no firearms allowed" sign on the front door of my property, who will that affect? Who's safety would it ensure? Will the bad guys comply?

Have you ever seen those signs that say "No Dogs Allowed (Except Seeing Eye Dogs)"? Who is that sign for? The blind person can't read the sign. For everyone else the "No Dogs Allowed" part should be sufficient.

Would the bad guys see or care or pay any attention to a "No Firearms Allowed" sign? Depending on your source, anywhere between 76% and 98% of all public shootings (or "mass shootings") happen in "gun free" zones. Granted there are several definitions of "mass shooting" and even "gun free zone". Hence the wide disparity in statistics.

I will agree with you that a property owner has the right to put up his "gun free zone" sign. As far as I know, in most states that will not have the force of law behind it. Even where it might have the force of law for now, that law is being challenged, like in NY, NJ, and other highly restrictive states.

I also believe that I have the right to ignore that sign if the law says I have a right to defend myself inside that establishment. I realize that there may be consequences for these actions. I am a law-abiding, responsible citizen prepared to accept whatever arises from the situation (trespassing?).

I guess I'm getting off-topic. Sorry. And I don't mean to start any kind of flame war. ;)

Again, I do agree with you that the property owner has the right to display a "no guns allowed" sign.

Would you agree with me that, in most cases, I have the right to disregard that sign? I appreciate your consideration.

BassCliff

Would you agree with me that, in most cases, I have the right to disregard that sign? I appreciate your consideration.

Absolutely not.

Property rights are some of the most important rights that we have. A man's home or a man's place business is his Castle.

As long as the house rules don't violate the law. The Second Amendment exists to prevent the government not a private property owner, not a private property owner who's private property happens to be open to the public for business purposes from infringing on your right to keep and bear arms.

The business owner is free to place any rules on his establishment that he sees fit.

He's certainly free to place any rules on his home that he sees fit.

If the business owner finds you in violation of the house rules I fully support his right to kick your ass off the premises or have you cited for criminal trespass.

I also support the business right the business owners right to tell "you" specifically that "you" (generic you not actually YOU) can't carry a gun on his property and allow everybody else in the world to do it.

If you don't like the rules go to another business.

Hi,

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I agree that it should be our choice to carry as we wish. We must keep in mind that John Q. Public will have his own thoughts about that. Concealed carry is certainly more prudent. Several have mentioned that open carry makes you a target, as your situations have attested to.

May I ask for a little clarity concerning your last statement? Here's my thinking.

If I put up a "no firearms allowed" sign on the front door of my property, who will that affect? Who's safety would it ensure? Will the bad guys comply?

Have you ever seen those signs that say "No Dogs Allowed (Except Seeing Eye Dogs)"? Who is that sign for? The blind person can't read the sign. For everyone else the "No Dogs Allowed" part should be sufficient.

Would the bad guys see or care or pay any attention to a "No Firearms Allowed" sign? Depending on your source, anywhere between 76% and 98% of all public shootings (or "mass shootings") happen in "gun free" zones. Granted there are several definitions of "mass shooting" and even "gun free zone". Hence the wide disparity in statistics.

I will agree with you that a property owner has the right to put up his "gun free zone" sign. As far as I know, in most states that will not have the force of law behind it. Even where it might have the force of law for now, that law is being challenged, like in NY, NJ, and other highly restrictive states.

I also believe that I have the right to ignore that sign if the law says I have a right to defend myself inside that establishment. I realize that there may be consequences for these actions. I am a law-abiding, responsible citizen prepared to accept whatever arises from the situation (trespassing?).

I guess I'm getting off-topic. Sorry. And I don't mean to start any kind of flame war. ;)

Again, I do agree with you that the property owner has the right to display a "no guns allowed" sign.

BassCliff

Why do your rights trump the property owners?

Why not just respect them and not enter?

I also want to be absolutely clear that I don't believe that those signs are worth the powder to blow them to Hell.

I'm absolutely convinced that the very people who you don't want to have guns on your property or the very ones that will ignore those signs.

But I still believe that the property owner has the right to set his own rules and I will respect them. I'll take my business elsewhere but I will respect them.

whenever I hear somebody trying to come up with a good reason to ignore those signs it tells me that I'm dealing with somebody who doesn't care about anybody's rights but their own

Unless the signs have the force of law, e.i., will result in serious criminal charges, I ignore them. If I'm found out, the property owner has the right to ask me to leave. If not found out, it's no harm no foul.

I'm not taking my gun on and off a bunch of times and leaving it in my car, and it's unrealistic to beleive one can go throughout their lives just "doing business somewhere else" when in most states just about every business has a no weapons policy. I've even carried almost every day at work for several years even though they have a no weapons policy.

I say it's a personal decision. For me, unless there's metal detector, pat downs, and/or a criminal law against it, I don't usually disarm myself.

Last edited:
Hi Mr. @The Night Rider and Mr. @HansGruber,

I appreciate your discussion. I understand and appreciate the points you raise. It is certainly a "make your choices and live with the consequences" scenario. "FAFO" as the kids like to say. ;)

At this point in the conversation a few questions, somewhat rhetorical, somewhat related to case law, precedent, and the Constitution, come to mind. (Note: Everybody should know their state and local laws.)

Who has the right to insist upon his rights?
Who has the right to expect someone else give up their rights?
As Mr. @WellArmed pointed out, if I am exercising my right and nobody knows, is there a downside?

Does the owner of the mom-and-pop shop I frequent realize that they could be putting me and themselves in a dangerous situation, a defensive disadvantage, by insisting I give up my right to keep and bear arms?
Do the owners have the right to take away my right to self-defense? Again, if I am concealed, nobody will know. And yes, if asked to leave I will certainly do so rather than violate any trespassing law.

You all may remember the Greenwood Park Mall shooting. Eli Dicken was legally carrying inside the mall, which was against the property owner's "Shopper Code of Conduct" which states "no weapons".

A snippet from the above article, I quote:
--------------------------------------------------
...Dicken confronted the gunman within the first two minutes [Note: It was within 15 seconds] of the shooting. Dicken, who could legally carry the firearm under the permitless carry law, was armed with a pistol and fired several rounds, striking the gunman.

"Many more people would have died last night if not for the responsible armed citizen who took action very quickly within the first two minutes of the shooting," Ison said during a news conference on Tuesday.

When asked if shoppers could legally carry guns inside of Simon malls for any reason, a spokeswoman for Greenwood Park Mall referred to owner Simon Property Group's Shopper Code of Conduct, which simply states "no weapons." She did not elaborate.

If customers ignore those policies or signs in some states, they are violating the law and can be charged with a crime. That's not the case in Indiana; not exactly.

Indiana gun laws:A look at what changed July 1

Greenwood Park Mall's no-weapons policy is akin to a "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign you might see at a gas station, or a sign requiring masks in order to shop, said Guy Relford, an Indiana attorney and firearms instructor who is a prominent voice on the state's gun laws. Such signs are simply stating a business owner's policy.

Attorney: No-gun policy won't create legal issue for armed bystander​

If a customer does not adhere to the policy, a business owner can demand that the customer leaves. And if the customer ignores that demand, the customer is now trespassing, which is an Indiana crime.

But if no one asked Dicken to leave, then he wasn't trespassing.

"So the fact that (Greenwood Park Mall) had a no-gun policy creates no legal issue whatsoever for this gentleman," Relford said, "and it certainly has no effect whatsoever on his ability to use force to defend himself or to defend the other people in the mall."

Jody Madeira, an Indiana University law professor, echoed Relford's sentiment, agreeing that Dicken may have violated Simon Mall’s policy prohibiting firearms at the mall, but “he wasn’t committing a crime unless they asked him to leave and he refused.”

“It’s disrespectful,” she said of violating the mall’s policy, “but it’s not unlawful.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose for a private residence, if I was asked not to bring my firearm I would honor that request, to be respectful. But honestly, no one I know would make such a request of me. Those that might make that request do not know that I usually carry for self-protection, so they won't be asking either.

I used to take pictures of all the "no guns" signs on the doors of places I would frequent. Then I thought, "Well, this is stupid." What am I going to do? Make a scrapbook? :ROFLMAO:

I try to practice common sense. I did not carry into the stadium when I saw the Browns lose to the Jets last summer. There were metal detectors there. I did not carry into the post office when I applied for my passport even though there were no metal detectors. I don't carry into my doctor's office. The reason why is private. 😝

It seems we may agree on some things and disagree on others. I can live with that. ;) Thank you, gents.

BassCliff

Hi Mr. @The Night Rider and Mr. @HansGruber,

I appreciate your discussion. I understand and appreciate the points you raise. It is certainly a "make your choices and live with the consequences" scenario. "FAFO" as the kids like to say. ;)

At this point in the conversation a few questions, somewhat rhetorical, somewhat related to case law, precedent, and the Constitution, come to mind. (Note: Everybody should know their state and local laws.)

Who has the right to insist upon his rights?
Who has the right to expect someone else give up their rights?
As Mr. @WellArmed pointed out, if I am exercising my right and nobody knows, is there a downside?

Does the owner of the mom-and-pop shop I frequent realize that they could be putting me and themselves in a dangerous situation, a defensive disadvantage, by insisting I give up my right to keep and bear arms?
Do the owners have the right to take away my right to self-defense? Again, if I am concealed, nobody will know. And yes, if asked to leave I will certainly do so rather than violate any trespassing law.

You all may remember the Greenwood Park Mall shooting. Eli Dicken was legally carrying inside the mall, which was against the property owner's "Shopper Code of Conduct" which states "no weapons".

A snippet from the above article, I quote:
--------------------------------------------------
...Dicken confronted the gunman within the first two minutes [Note: It was within 15 seconds] of the shooting. Dicken, who could legally carry the firearm under the permitless carry law, was armed with a pistol and fired several rounds, striking the gunman.

"Many more people would have died last night if not for the responsible armed citizen who took action very quickly within the first two minutes of the shooting," Ison said during a news conference on Tuesday.

When asked if shoppers could legally carry guns inside of Simon malls for any reason, a spokeswoman for Greenwood Park Mall referred to owner Simon Property Group's Shopper Code of Conduct, which simply states "no weapons." She did not elaborate.

If customers ignore those policies or signs in some states, they are violating the law and can be charged with a crime. That's not the case in Indiana; not exactly.

Indiana gun laws:A look at what changed July 1

Greenwood Park Mall's no-weapons policy is akin to a "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign you might see at a gas station, or a sign requiring masks in order to shop, said Guy Relford, an Indiana attorney and firearms instructor who is a prominent voice on the state's gun laws. Such signs are simply stating a business owner's policy.

Attorney: No-gun policy won't create legal issue for armed bystander​

If a customer does not adhere to the policy, a business owner can demand that the customer leaves. And if the customer ignores that demand, the customer is now trespassing, which is an Indiana crime.

But if no one asked Dicken to leave, then he wasn't trespassing.

"So the fact that (Greenwood Park Mall) had a no-gun policy creates no legal issue whatsoever for this gentleman," Relford said, "and it certainly has no effect whatsoever on his ability to use force to defend himself or to defend the other people in the mall."

Jody Madeira, an Indiana University law professor, echoed Relford's sentiment, agreeing that Dicken may have violated Simon Mall’s policy prohibiting firearms at the mall, but “he wasn’t committing a crime unless they asked him to leave and he refused.”

“It’s disrespectful,” she said of violating the mall’s policy, “but it’s not unlawful.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose for a private residence, if I was asked not to bring my firearm I would honor that request, to be respectful. But honestly, no one I know would make such a request of me. Those that might make that request do not know that I usually carry for self-protection, so they won't be asking either.

I used to take pictures of all the "no guns" signs on the doors of places I would frequent. Then I thought, "Well, this is stupid." What am I going to do? Make a scrapbook? :ROFLMAO:

I try to practice common sense. I did not carry into the stadium when I saw the Browns lose to the Jets last summer. There were metal detectors there. I did not carry into the post office when I applied for my passport even though there were no metal detectors. I don't carry into my doctor's office. The reason why is private. 😝

It seems we may agree on some things and disagree on others. I can live with that. ;) Thank you, gents.

BassCliff
What part of the following isn't clear to you?

Absolutely not.

Property rights are some of the most important rights that we have. A man's home or a man's place business is his Castle.

As long as the house rules don't violate the law. The Second Amendment exists to prevent the government not a private property owner, not a private property owner who's private property happens to be open to the public for business purposes from infringing on your right to keep and bear arms.

The business owner is free to place any rules on his establishment that he sees fit.

He's certainly free to place any rules on his home that he sees fit.

If the business owner finds you in violation of the house rules I fully support his right to kick your ass off the premises or have you cited for criminal trespass.

I also support the business right the business owners right to tell "you" specifically that "you" (generic you not actually YOU) can't carry a gun on his property and allow everybody else in the world to do it.

If you don't like the rules go to another business.

My property, my rules. You don't have any rights if you don't like it go someplace else

It’s my opinion that whatever one chooses to carry, display, leave unattended in the open is welcoming some larcenist an opportunity. This rule applies to firearms, tools, personal possessions and even the dog tied to the parking meter.

One really has to know the territory they tread.
A third eye in the back of the head would nice, but keeping the head on a swivel will have to do. When I expect to be in a line or come in close confinement with strangers, I never carry concealed SOB (my preferred) and if OWB CC, I have my arm as additional cover. Never turn your back on a possible threat.

If you carry anything and another wants that item…are you able to defend that property? Do you have strength and capacity to overcome that thief or assailant?

Can‘t say I’ve never used the top rung or platform on a ladder even though it’s clearly marked, but these days I know my limits and strength and always in constant awareness of surrounding what-ifs.

Carry open is for those who are at ready when seconds count.
I don’t live in an Open carry state and for what it’s worth, I don’t recommend Level 1 to anyone especially if that person would have difficulty fighting off a violent attempt to disarm.
Same applies to women carrying a firearm in a purse when the purse is the intended item to be stolen as much as I don’t leave toolboxes in the pickup bed when I run into the hardware store.

Abiding by a sign and hoping that adherence doesn’t compromise personal safety or mis- judgement, the sign doesn’t offer guarantee of safe premises. A signis a mere recommendation that if challenged leads to a misdemeanor or worse.

As far as virtue signaling signage go….maybe a No Stealing sign could have prevented this tragedy. It can be argued that if the CCW customer had entered a minute later he may have prevented a different crime.

Back