testtest

Open Carry consequences?

Hi Mr. @The Night Rider and Mr. @HansGruber,

I appreciate your discussion. I understand and appreciate the points you raise. It is certainly a "make your choices and live with the consequences" scenario. "FAFO" as the kids like to say. ;)

At this point in the conversation a few questions, somewhat rhetorical, somewhat related to case law, precedent, and the Constitution, come to mind. (Note: Everybody should know their state and local laws.)

Who has the right to insist upon his rights?
Who has the right to expect someone else give up their rights?
As Mr. @WellArmed pointed out, if I am exercising my right and nobody knows, is there a downside?

Does the owner of the mom-and-pop shop I frequent realize that they could be putting me and themselves in a dangerous situation, a defensive disadvantage, by insisting I give up my right to keep and bear arms?
Do the owners have the right to take away my right to self-defense? Again, if I am concealed, nobody will know. And yes, if asked to leave I will certainly do so rather than violate any trespassing law.

You all may remember the Greenwood Park Mall shooting. Eli Dicken was legally carrying inside the mall, which was against the property owner's "Shopper Code of Conduct" which states "no weapons".

A snippet from the above article, I quote:
--------------------------------------------------
...Dicken confronted the gunman within the first two minutes [Note: It was within 15 seconds] of the shooting. Dicken, who could legally carry the firearm under the permitless carry law, was armed with a pistol and fired several rounds, striking the gunman.

"Many more people would have died last night if not for the responsible armed citizen who took action very quickly within the first two minutes of the shooting," Ison said during a news conference on Tuesday.

When asked if shoppers could legally carry guns inside of Simon malls for any reason, a spokeswoman for Greenwood Park Mall referred to owner Simon Property Group's Shopper Code of Conduct, which simply states "no weapons." She did not elaborate.

If customers ignore those policies or signs in some states, they are violating the law and can be charged with a crime. That's not the case in Indiana; not exactly.

Indiana gun laws:A look at what changed July 1

Greenwood Park Mall's no-weapons policy is akin to a "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign you might see at a gas station, or a sign requiring masks in order to shop, said Guy Relford, an Indiana attorney and firearms instructor who is a prominent voice on the state's gun laws. Such signs are simply stating a business owner's policy.

Attorney: No-gun policy won't create legal issue for armed bystander​

If a customer does not adhere to the policy, a business owner can demand that the customer leaves. And if the customer ignores that demand, the customer is now trespassing, which is an Indiana crime.

But if no one asked Dicken to leave, then he wasn't trespassing.

"So the fact that (Greenwood Park Mall) had a no-gun policy creates no legal issue whatsoever for this gentleman," Relford said, "and it certainly has no effect whatsoever on his ability to use force to defend himself or to defend the other people in the mall."

Jody Madeira, an Indiana University law professor, echoed Relford's sentiment, agreeing that Dicken may have violated Simon Mall’s policy prohibiting firearms at the mall, but “he wasn’t committing a crime unless they asked him to leave and he refused.”

“It’s disrespectful,” she said of violating the mall’s policy, “but it’s not unlawful.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose for a private residence, if I was asked not to bring my firearm I would honor that request, to be respectful. But honestly, no one I know would make such a request of me. Those that might make that request do not know that I usually carry for self-protection, so they won't be asking either.

I used to take pictures of all the "no guns" signs on the doors of places I would frequent. Then I thought, "Well, this is stupid." What am I going to do? Make a scrapbook? :ROFLMAO:

I try to practice common sense. I did not carry into the stadium when I saw the Browns lose to the Jets last summer. There were metal detectors there. I did not carry into the post office when I applied for my passport even though there were no metal detectors. I don't carry into my doctor's office. The reason why is private. 😝

It seems we may agree on some things and disagree on others. I can live with that. ;) Thank you, gents.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
Absolutely none of that matters.

If it’s me that’s posting the sign—my property, my rules. Dot, period, end of story. If you don’t like it—GTFO.

I appreciate your discussion. I understand and appreciate the points you raise. It is certainly a "make your choices and live with the consequences" scenario. "FAFO" as the kids like to say. ;)

At this point in the conversation a few questions, somewhat rhetorical, somewhat related to case law, precedent, and the Constitution, come to mind. (Note: Everybody should know their state and local laws.)

As Mr. @WellArmed pointed out, if I am exercising my right and nobody knows, is there a downside?

Does the owner of the mom-and-pop shop I frequent realize that they could be putting me and themselves in a dangerous situation, a defensive disadvantage, by insisting I give up my right to keep and bear arms?
Do the owners have the right to take away my right to self-defense? Again, if I am concealed, nobody will know. And yes, if asked to leave I will certainly do so rather than violate any trespassing law.

You all may remember the Greenwood Park Mall shooting. Eli Dicken was legally carrying inside the mall, which was against the property owner's "Shopper Code of Conduct" which states "no weapons".

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...policy-bystander-carried-legally/65375923007/

...Dicken confronted the gunman within the first two minutes [Note: It was within 15 seconds] of the shooting. Dicken, who could legally carry the firearm under the permitless carry law, was armed with a pistol and fired several rounds, striking the gunman.

"Many more people would have died last night if not for the responsible armed citizen who took action very quickly within the first two minutes of the shooting," Ison said during a news conference on Tuesday.

When asked if shoppers could legally carry guns inside of Simon malls for any reason, a spokeswoman for Greenwood Park Mall referred to owner Simon Property Group's Shopper Code of Conduct, which simply states "no weapons." She did not elaborate.

If customers ignore those policies or signs in some states, they are violating the law and can be charged with a crime. That's not the case in Indiana; not exactly.

Greenwood Park Mall's no-weapons policy is akin to a "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign you might see at a gas station, or a sign requiring masks in order to shop, said Guy Relford, an Indiana attorney and firearms instructor who is a prominent voice on the state's gun laws. Such signs are simply stating a business owner's policy.

If a customer does not adhere to the policy, a business owner can demand that the customer leaves. And if the customer ignores that demand, the customer is now trespassing, which is an Indiana crime.

"So the fact that (Greenwood Park Mall) had a no-gun policy creates no legal issue whatsoever for this gentleman," Relford said, "and it certainly has no effect whatsoever on his ability to use force to defend himself or to defend the other people in the mall."

Jody Madeira, an Indiana University law professor, echoed Relford's sentiment, agreeing that Dicken may have violated Simon Mall’s policy prohibiting firearms at the mall, but “he wasn’t committing a crime unless they asked him to leave and he refused.”

“It’s disrespectful,” she said of violating the mall’s policy, “but it’s not unlawful.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose for a private residence, if I was asked not to bring my firearm I would honor that request, to be respectful. But honestly, no one I know would make such a request of me. Those that might make that request do not know that I usually carry for self-protection, so they won't be asking either.

I used to take pictures of all the "no guns" signs on the doors of places I would frequent. Then I thought, "Well, this is stupid." What am I going to do? Make a scrapbook? :ROFLMAO:

I try to practice common sense. I did not carry into the stadium when I saw the Browns lose to the Jets last summer. There were metal detectors there. I did not carry into the post office when I applied for my passport even though there were no metal detectors. I don't carry into my doctor's office. The reason why is private. 😝

It seems we may agree on some things and disagree on others. I can live with that. ;) Thank you, gents.

BassCliff
Are you allowed to say if someone is allowed to come onto your property armed? Open or concealed makes no difference are you allowed to make the rules for your families or the visitors in your property safety?

Does the fact that someone dislikes your rules allow them to disregard them?

And before you say there is a difference between business and ho.e, how do you know. I know plenty of business owner's who live in the same building. Even if they do not live there it is still thier property to make rules for.

Last edited:
I can't speak for @BassCliff, but I understand that businesses and private citizens have property rights and the right to kick people out and ask them not to return. No different than violating no loitering, soliciting, and skateboarding policies, or even violating the dress code... Just like employers have the right to set rules for their employees, but then hold those who are found to have broken the rules accountable. I have no problem with that, and do believe they are violating my rights by setting their own rules.

I still choose to secretly carry concealed, and should I be ask to leave and to never come back if I ever am in a situation where I have to reveal my firearm, then I will deal with the consequences at that time.

Last edited:
I can't speak for @BassCliff, but I understand that businesses and private citizens have property rights and the right to kick people out and ask us not to return. No different than violating no loitering, soliciting, and skateboarding policies, or even violating the dress code...

I still choose to secretly carry concealed, and should I be ask to leave and to never come back if I ever am in a situation where I have to reveal my firearm, then I will deal with the consequences at that time.
I guess it's a matter of respect then. I choose to respect thier rules as I would hope someone would respect mine. Guess that's how I was brought up, to be respectful of others and thier propert and the rules they have for THIER property. I can always go to another establishment. That is using the economic power that I have to show disapproval.

Last edited:
I guess it's a matter of respect then. I choose to respect thier rules as I would hope someone would respect mine. I can always go to another establishment. That is using the economic power that I have to show disapproval.
Most establishments have a no weapons policy. I can't speak for small towns and mom & pop shops in red states, but still, the overwhelming number of companies have a no weapons policy.

The entire "boycotting companies" for not allowing carry is waste of time in reality and IMHO, but it does sounds good. The thing is they'll lose more business and will open themselves up to more legal problems by allowing weapons, AND the majority of America citizens including many gun owners don't care enough to boycot and inconvenience themselves over this issue. Heck, if I owned a business even I would have a no weapons policy in place.

You don't have the numbers for anyone else to care as much as you do. I'm not wasting my time and money driving all around the state looking for places that allow firearms. I'm not going to NOT attend family and friend functions and the like over a firearm policy as well, and I'm not going all day without my firearm or leaving my firearm in my car.

I respect the choices of those who choose to and have the opportunity to simply go elsewhere, I understand your point of view and you are right, but me personally, I'm still going to take the "what everyone doesn't know won't hurt them" and "no harm no foul" approach. I will accept whatever consequences that may result from my decision.

Last edited:
Most establishments have a no weapons policy. I can't speak for small towns and mom & pop shops in red states, but still, the overwhelming number of companies have a no weapons policy.

The entire "boycotting companies" for not allowing carry is waste of time in reality and IMHO, but it does sounds good. The thing is they'll lose more business and will open themselves up to more legal problems by allowing weapons, AND the majority of America citizens including many gun owners don't care enough to boycot and inconvenience themselves over this issue. Heck, if I owned a business even I would have a no weapons policy in place.

You don't have the numbers for anyone else to care as much as you do. I'm not wasting my time and money driving all around the state looking for places that allow firearms. I'm not going to NOT attend family and friend functions and the like over a firearm policy as well, and I'm not going all day without my firearm or leaving my firearm in my car.

I respect the choices of those who choose to and have the opportunity to simply go elsewhere, I understand your point of view and you are right, but me personally, I'm still going to take the "what everyone doesn't know won't hurt them" and "no harm no foul" approach. I will accept whatever consequences that may result from my decision.
Maybe. The little mom and pop grocery store here in rural, red Missouri had a No Firearms sign in their window. I went in and asked to see the manager. I told him that I was fully prepared to pay more for his stuff as opposed to driving to the next town and going to Walmart, but thanks to his sign I wouldn't be patronizing his establishment. A couple months later I had to go back and was going to go in even though I didn't want to, because I needed something right now. When I got to the door the No Firearms sign had been replaced by an NRA sticker.

BassCliff
I respect the right of the private individual to establish their rules on their property and place of business. If they don't want firearms on their property, I can either leave, or comply with their rules. They are liable should anything happen to me while on their property.

Last edited:
Maybe. The little mom and pop grocery store here in rural, red Missouri had a No Firearms sign in their window. I went in and asked to see the manager. I told him that I was fully prepared to pay more for his stuff as opposed to driving to the next town and going to Walmart, but thanks to his sign I wouldn't be patronizing his establishment. A couple months later I had to go back and was going to go in even though I didn't want to, because I needed something right now. When I got to the door the No Firearms sign had been replaced by an NRA sticker.
That might work in a little mom and pop shop in a rural area of a red state, but in most of America, that wouldn't change a thing. There aren't even any mom and pop grocery stores that I know of in my area, and if I lived in a small rual town, I'd be more comfortable with just leaving my gun in the car. With that said, if I had more convenient* alternatives, I'd go that rought.

I think that's what's shaping the different opinions on the matter. Whether it's realistic to just go elsewhere and/or "boycotting" will work all depends on location and whether the store is privately owned or ran by a large corporation stationed in a liberal state.

Last edited:
That might work in a little mom and pop shop in a rural area of a red state, but in most of America, that wouldn't change a thing. There aren't even any mom and pop grocery stores that I know of in my area, and if I lived in a small rual town, I'd be more comfortable with just leaving my gun in the car. With that said, if I had more covenant alternatives, I'd go that rought.

I think that's shaping the different opinions on the matter. Whether it's realistic to just go elsewhere and/or "boycotting" will work all depends on location and whether the store is privately owned or ran by a large corporation stationed in a liberal state.
Well that's probably true. I have purposely situated myself in a very red county in a very red state.

I respect the right of the private individual to establish their rules on their property and place of business. If they don't want firearms on their property, I can either leave, or comply with their rules. They are liable should anything happen to me while on their property.
They aren't liable if a criminal walks in and robs and shoots you. Most store employees are told and trained to never get involved, and to just follow the demands of the criminal while memorizing key details to give to police after the fact. You are on your own irregardless of where you go and shop. L.E. aren't even liable or responsible to be responsible for your well-being.

Hi,

Absolutely none of that matters.

If it’s me that’s posting the sign—my property, my rules. Dot, period, end of story. If you don’t like it—GTFO.

As I have alluded to several times, I would be happy to vacate the premises rather than be arrested for trespassing.

Here's an interesting article dealing with private property regarding landlord/tenant legalities:

Again, know your state and local laws and also, as stated above, exactly what is in the lease you are signing. Whatever is in the lease, like a clause that prohibits guns, you must abide by. If it's not in the lease, the landlord can't legally ban guns.

Mr. @HansGruber, you would be very welcome in my home with your concealed firearm. Much more so than the two hoodlums who last summer committed a couple of armed home invasions in my neighborhood and stole two cars along with cash and valuables. I would have no problem with any of you honest law-abiding, responsibly armed citizens sharing a meal at my table, while armed for bear. Perhaps the feeling is not mutual, and that's OK. I can deal with it. ;)

BassCliff

Hi,

As I have alluded to several times, I would be happy to vacate the premises rather than be arrested for trespassing.

Here's an interesting article dealing with private property regarding landlord/tenant legalities:

Again, know your state and local laws and also, as stated above, exactly what is in the lease you are signing. Whatever is in the lease, like a clause that prohibits guns, you must abide by. If it's not in the lease, the landlord can't legally ban guns.

Mr. @HansGruber, you would be very welcome in my home with your concealed firearm. Much more so than the two hoodlums who last summer committed a couple of armed home invasions in my neighborhood and stole two cars along with cash and valuables. I would have no problem with any of you honest law-abiding, responsibly armed citizens sharing a meal at my table, while armed for bear. Perhaps the feeling is not mutual, and that's OK. I can deal with it. ;)

BassCliff
These shootings are happening anywhere and everywhere. These are only two of many very recent incidence in the videos below out of thousands of other of self defense shootings (many of which are in "no gun zones") that do not make the front page of NY Times, WashPost, HuffPost, etc, and aren't talked about ad nauseam by the President, politicians, or mainstream news organizations.

I agree with others that I'm initially legally ignoring the property owner's wishes/policies, but for many gun owners who live in highly populated cities and town, the only other alternative is to never carry a weapon at all or to have to leave it in the car 95% of the time we go somewhere. All of the supermarkets, departments stores, hardware stores, malls, clothing stores, movie theaters, sports complexes, gas stations, so on and so forth in my area are franchises and large corporations owned. Talking to a low level store manager is a waste of time. The private and corporate owned venues are no gun zones as well. Heck, there even literally several dozen of pawn shops, LGS, and big box stores that sell firearms in my area of Hampton Roads, VA, and even they don't allow loaded guns in their stores. Gun shows in my area don't allow firearms either. Gun ranges require firearms are unload and in a carrying case until on the range... My point is, it's not a simple "go elsewhere" matter.

I can simply start going to another establishment if I'm ever caught and asked to not come back to a particular store I was caught in, but avoiding all "no gun zones" is not practical... I will take my chances, and will deal with the consequences of my actions either way.

Hi,

BassCliff

What you would do on your property doesn’t matter.

What others want done on their property is what matters.

You keep throwing out red herrings to try and support the self-centered, selfish concept that you should be allowed to do whatever you want on other people’s property, despite their wishes.

That’s the root of it.

What makes you different than the gun grabbers then. We complain they do not respect our rights and do whatever they want.

How is you disrespecting a property owner's rights to control what is or is not brought onto thier property just because you want to any different.

We lose, when we become what we deplore.

What is relevant is your state statute concerning "no gun" signs. In Florida the signs have no force of law, but if a private property owner sees you armed they can tell you to leave and if you don't go you are tresspassing. If you really want to keep guns out of your store put in a metal detector and hire a security officer. In Texas the signs have force of law. I will go armed wherever the law allows me to do so but nobody but me will know. I assure you that the signs mean nothing to criminals passing through your doors, even if they can read.

I've been back living in my home state of Texas for almost 2 years. I drive around quite a bit and have only seen 2 people open carrying.

I'm not an open carry fan but I respect a person's legal right to do so.

I'm a martial arts guy. I train empty hand, knife, and firearm techniques. Awareness, proper equipment, placement of that equipment, are pretty important. I also practice weapon retention. I carry a handgun where my elbow can easily drop down and help hug the firearm close to my body. This limits the length of the barrel and type of holsters I use but carrying a firearm always requires compromises in wardrobe and equipment.

I carry concealed every time I leave the house. I was out for a couple of hours yesterday. It was a nice day to drive to the coast. Being retired has its benefits...:)

In my humble opinion if you're going to carry concealed or open carry you need to always be aware of your surroundings and how much distance is between you and others without acting paranoid.

On several occasions I have walked into a business and walked out because I didn't get good vibes from the customers. I did my best to make it seem like I forgot something in my vehicle, not that I didn't like the customers.

There's always a safer place and a better time to shop. Preparation and awareness most times buy you time and can help avoid a confrontation.

I understand that some people believe they should be able to carry any way they want and go wherever they want, when they want. That's fine for them.

I know from personal experience that confrontations are losing propositions. This experience comes from being a bouncer, a licensed bodyguard, a mental health associate in a mental health hospital, etc, etc.

When I carry outside the house I'm a lot more aware than when I'm at my house(I have a mixed breed dog that barks like she weighs 200 pounds. She is awesome...:))

You can't get complacent when you're carrying, especially if you're open carrying. Lots of people over-estimate their abilities and under-estimate the abilities of bad guys.

Again this comes from experience. I remember a 110 pound female on drugs giving me and several other pretty in shape guys all we could handle. When you're defending yourself you run out of energy pretty quickly and if your equipment isn't good and placed right it can lead to embarrassing situations that are sometimes fatal. That's why avoidance is important, so is exercising so you at least have some fitness level.

We make choices and when we make the wrong ones or get complacent, it's just a matter of time before it bites us in the butt or face or gets us hurt or killed.

To be fair, with the exception of the VA no place that I go is posted. And I want to be clear that I abide by the VA's rule.

My local Walmart has a sign requesting that you "Kindly Refrain" from openly carrying firearm. And it really is those words

I was going to say that if my daily business took me to places that were posted more frequently I might have a different opinion but the reality is that every place I've ever been to that was posted I honored it.

I will admit to this:

On Thanksgiving morning of 2018 I was attacked at work. I decided that I was never going to go to work without a gun again.

I disregarded my employer's policy and I carried a gun and OC even when I was working "unarmed".

Some of you may call that hypocritical, I might even call that hypocritical but in that situation they had me driving around in the middle of the night confronting armed homeless people who were trespassing on client property.

They had me doing that with zero backup and during a time when I was calling the police and being told "If nobody's injured we're not coming."

The following is merely my justification for breaking my employer's rules but in that situation the odds of my needing to defend myself were orders of magnitude higher than my normal life.

That's how I justified it.

Back