testtest

Opinions wanted: Mossberg 590M 12 Gauge

I’m considering purchasing a Mossberg 590M 12 Gauge 18.5” as a home defense shotgun to replace my Remington 870 Tactical (the thing is just too finicky with extraction). Anybody who has experience with the 590M, I would really appreciate reading your thoughts on it.
@Bassbob is our resident shotgun aficionado maybe he can give you some good feedback.

I have no opinion on that particular model other than to say I have been thoroughly unimpressed by every box mag fed shotgun other than the Saiga. Personally I would recommend buying a regular Mossberg 590 with a 21” barrel and 7 rd. tube. Or better yet get the new Mossberg JM Pro Tactical.

I have no opinion on that particular model other than to say I have been thoroughly unimpressed by every box mag fed shotgun other than the Saiga. Personally I would recommend buying a regular Mossberg 590 with a 21” barrel and 7 rd. tube. Or better yet get the new Mossberg JM Pro Tactical.
Thank You for the info. MUCH appreciated! I’ll take a look at the JM Pro Tactical. 😊

Full disclosure although I worked for Mossberg for 5 years and was instrumental in getting multiple new Bolt Action models (7) including the Mossberg Patriot rifle to market I have no trigger time running any of their shotguns, that being said as mentioned by @Bassbob I would look hard at the JM Pro as their semi auto Shotguns are rock solid firearms.

The Super Nova really isn’t a defensive shotgun. At least not in the same class as the two we're talking about here. 4 round tube, no option for a tactical butt stock. Really it’s totally outclassed by the 940.

Now if we’re going to talk about shotguns that outclass the 940 there is a Benelli on that list. The M4. But to have it outfitted similarly to the 940 you’ll pay 3 times as much. Unless you opt for one of the recently released “ Turkinellis”.

Obviously the Beretta 1301 Tactical is a contender. After all the 940 seems to have been modeled after it. They run about $1500.

How about a
Benelli Super Nova
Ghost ring sights, adjustable chokes
Standard buttstock?
Actually I did have this one on my original list, the only problem is the low capacity, it’s the same as the Remington 870 that I already have. I figured if I’m going to replace it I would look for increased capacity along with better reliability, which was my reasoning for looking at the 590M, I also wanted tactical form factor since it’s easier for my wife to use and seems to me to be a better fit for HD.

I appreciate the input!

I have seen nothing but issues with box mag Fed shotguns wether Mossberg or Remington.

And a friend attended a Gunsite Shotgun class in Indiana saw 2 regular tube Fed Mossbergs go down in that 3 day class.

So I’d stay away from the box mag guns. And if you’re going to pressure test anything get a Beretta 1301 or REM 870. If your just going to run a box a year through it and use it for a house gun the Mossberg would be fine.

I have seen nothing but issues with box mag Fed shotguns wether Mossberg or Remington.

And a friend attended a Gunsite Shotgun class in Indiana saw 2 regular tube Fed Mossbergs go down in that 3 day class.

So I’d stay away from the box mag guns. And if you’re going to pressure test anything get a Beretta 1301 or REM 870. If your just going to run a box a year through it and use it for a house gun the Mossberg would be fine.
I've seen, in fact I have, a 500 that has never stopped through a S ton of classes. Well once. The safety gave up the ghost after 20 years and kept engaging itself every time I hit it with a 3" slug.

That said, I much prefer my 1301 Tactical.

Not all Mossberg shotguns are the same.

Not knowing why the two tube-fed Mossberg shotguns went down is any ones guess, especially since its second-hand info. Operator error? A poorly maintained/abused basic model?

But if Mossberg shotguns weren't reliable then the US military shouldn't have chosen the 590A1 and used that model for decades.

To say that Mossbergs are only good for a running a few rds through them is contrary to the US military's experience of hard-use of an issued shotgun.

My 590A1 has never let me down over a couple decades but it's the mil-spec model so maybe more durable than the standard 500. And it's now a back-up to my Benelli M4.

My .02

PS: I'm not a fan of detachable magazine-fed shotguns.

Last edited:

Not knowing why the two tube-fed Mossberg shotguns went down is any ones guess, especially since its second-hand info. Operator error? A poorly maintained/abused basic model?

But if Mossberg shotguns weren't reliable then the US military shouldn't have chosen the 590A1 and used that model for decades.

To say that Mossbergs are only good for a running a few rds through them is contrary to the US military's experience of hard-use of an issued shotgun.

My 590A1 has never let me down over a couple decades but it's the mil-spec model so maybe more durable than the standard 500. And it's now a back-up to my Benelli M4.

My .02
It's also contrary to my own experience of having on multiple occasions ran 5 or 6 hundred rounds in a day through it with zero maintenance in between and zero problems.

My .02

PS: I'm not a fan of detachable magazine-fed shotguns.
Just relaying my experience having used both Mossberg and Remington in both Military and LE service.

Our Mossbergs in the Military didn’t not work out. And it wasn’t operator error they just sid not hold up.

The Renington 870 did not have many issues other than the routine life cycle of normal wear. And this was seeing a lot of heavy use over 20 years both locally and when I traveled to FLETC to teach.

If someone had a positive experience that was just different than what I experienced.

Just relaying my experience having used both Mossberg and Remington in both Military and LE service.

Our Mossbergs in the Military didn’t not work out. And it wasn’t operator error they just sid not hold up.

The Renington 870 did not have many issues other than the routine life cycle of normal wear. And this was seeing a lot of heavy use over 20 years both locally and when I traveled to FLETC to teach.

If someone had a positive experience that was just different than what I experienced.
From personal experience I would not recommend getting a Remington 870, they just don't make them like they used to. I bought one about 6 months ago and have had no end of failure to extract issues with it. I've replaced the extractor with a high end Volquartsen EDM, polished the chamber to a mirror finish with a flex hone, polished out imperfections in the barrel hood, pulled the extractor plunger and spring and made sure they're good and the cylinder is good.

It still has consistent failures to extract with all but a handful of ammo manufacturers and even the ones that work don't work reliably enough for my liking.

Still hopeful I can get it up to snuff or least find an ammo brand that works reliably.

Have both a 930 and 500, both are solid guns. Personally I don't know what real advantage a mag fed shotgun is, given that both of these models are easy to do tactical reloads on.

Aftermarket upgrades are plentiful for the 500, and many fit the 930. I put a Monstrum side saddle for the 500 on my 930 with only a small bit of trimming on the left side of the fore end to make it fit. Pic rails are also interchangeable if your received is drilled.

Have both a 930 and 500, both are solid guns. Personally I don't know what real advantage a mag fed shotgun is, given that both of these models are easy to do tactical reloads on.

Aftermarket upgrades are plentiful for the 500, and many fit the 930. I put a Monstrum side saddle for the 500 on my 930 with only a small bit of trimming on the left side of the fore end to make it fit. Pic rails are also interchangeable if your received is drilled.
Thanks for the feedback @Blackmesa96 , MUCH appreciated!

If I can ask, which model 930 do you have? Do you find it reliable with different brands/types of ammunition or is it finnicky?

Back