testtest

Overweight in warm climate

phf

Alpha
New to posting here.
Most video's and pics of folks carrying are wearing long sleeves, jackets, multiple layers, and such showing how they conceal and with what.

What are some options for holsters IWB or other for lightly overweight (in the belly) folks that live in places like Florida (HOT ALL THE TIME) where shorts, short sleeves, and light weight cloths are the norm ?

Currently using an "Essential Holsters" Naked Holster for a Hellcat. Much less cumbersome/bulky than my IWB holster from Vedder and don't care for the "front pocket" type at all.

Although the naked holster allows to carry comfortable, it is sometimes obvious "something" is there perhaps due to very light clothing.
But, a good belt I found is a KORE . Love it, carries a hellcat well and stays in place.

Thanks

^ This is a very, very good look at our problem, @phf , by someone who is considered to be at the top of the game today, where it comes to concealed-carry holsters, PHLster.

I think that this article will serve as an excellent basis to continue our conversation, but before we go any further, I'd like to ask you to see if you can't be a bit more specific in your description above of that "something" that seems to be making for less-than-optimal concealment for you. :)

As an academic scientist, I have the luxury of being able to exist in an untucked T-shirt and jeans pretty much all day, every day, year-round.....well, aside from the times when I'm required to "dress like an adult" at the behest of my better half, of-course. 😅 This means that, sadly. I can really only be of-assistance for about half of your excellent questions above - that thin cover garment is definitely something that I contend with on what's truly on a very-nearly everyday basis. I carry my handgun, a 9mm XDm 3.8 Compact (which is approx. 10 ounces heavier than the Hellcat), at the 2- to 2:30-ish, in a manner which is consistent with what PHLster presented above. It nestles in that little valley, and really pretty much just disappears. I've now successfully concealed this pistol for over 10 years in social contexts which place high consequences on being outed.

I occasionally do step out of the house in something less (in terms of armament), and when I do, I'm typically in sweatpants (I live in snowy NE-Ohio, so 😁 ). With this setup. I don't usually have a belt on, and I'm wearing a S&W M&P 340 Scandium/Stainless snobby that comes in at just under 14 ounces. Here, I use a PHLster City Special that set up with a Discrete Carry Concepts (DCC) clip that's been retrofitted to a TuckStrut, which allows failure-free attachment to just the fabric material of my sweats. With the less rigid pants. I feel that my "something" -as you put it- is a seeming tug down at the waist-line there that an overhanging shirt cannot totally conceal - thus the need for an overall lighter setup.

I purchased a "Fat Guy" holster from JX Tactical. Designed for appendix carry, but I can't do that (12 hours driving 5 days/week does not allow for appendix carry). Still getting accustomed to 4 o-clock with it. This is not a recommendation since I'm still getting used to it (after 6 months). Just throwing it out there for a holster designed for fat guys. It's design puts more of the gun lower under your belt line to ride under the belly roll for comfort. CWF is a always a challenge (Carrying While Fat). This holster is certainly not bulky (I use it with a P365). There are 3 belt-loop/clip options you can order it with (or get all 3).

^ This is a very, very good look at our problem, @phf , by someone who is considered to be at the top of the game today, where it comes to concealed-carry holsters, PHLster.

I think that this article will serve as an excellent basis to continue our conversation, but before we go any further, I'd like to ask you to see if you can't be a bit more specific in your description above of that "something" that seems to be making for less-than-optimal concealment for you. :)

As an academic scientist, I have the luxury of being able to exist in an untucked T-shirt and jeans pretty much all day, every day, year-round.....well, aside from the times when I'm required to "dress like an adult" at the behest of my better half, of-course. 😅 This means that, sadly. I can really only be of-assistance for about half of your excellent questions above - that thin cover garment is definitely something that I contend with on what's truly on a very-nearly everyday basis. I carry my handgun, a 9mm XDm 3.8 Compact (which is approx. 10 ounces heavier than the Hellcat), at the 2- to 2:30-ish, in a manner which is consistent with what PHLster presented above. It nestles in that little valley, and really pretty much just disappears. I've now successfully concealed this pistol for over 10 years in social contexts which place high consequences on being outed.

I occasionally do step out of the house in something less (in terms of armament), and when I do, I'm typically in sweatpants (I live in snowy NE-Ohio, so 😁 ). With this setup. I don't usually have a belt on, and I'm wearing a S&W M&P 340 Scandium/Stainless snobby that comes in at just under 14 ounces. Here, I use a PHLster City Special that set up with a Discrete Carry Concepts (DCC) clip that's been retrofitted to a TuckStrut, which allows failure-free attachment to just the fabric material of my sweats. With the less rigid pants. I feel that my "something" -as you put it- is a seeming tug down at the waist-line there that an overhanging shirt cannot totally conceal - thus the need for an overall lighter setup.
The "something" is the back of the grip area. 10 - 11:00, lefty. It could be me as the wearer, mentioned in another comment. While wearing more colorful loose Hawaiian shirts, almost all of it goes away.

I use a variety of holsters.
My key is an untucked polo shirt here in Ntx during the warmer days.
Only one who thinks they are printing is the wearer. No one else even pays mind or cares
Same here, a loose polos or t-shirt hides everything pretty well, even when I am carry owb. Often though it's simply a jframe or similar revolver carried in the hip pocket.

No shorts though, simply cannot get used to wearing shorts in public.

I live in S Texas and appreciate shorts and T Shirt. I also will fit the heavy group. I use Crossbreed, We The People, and MTR for IWB (no appendix). Exarchy, MTR, DeSantis, and Versa Carry for OWB. Recently pulled the DeSantis Mini Scabbard out of a storage box and really like the Hellcat in this holster.

The "something" is the back of the grip area. 10 - 11:00, lefty. It could be me as the wearer, mentioned in another comment. While wearing more colorful loose Hawaiian shirts, almost all of it goes away.
* emphasis added.

To confirm, that's the backstrap and heel of the grip, correct?

If so, I think that more rotation is needed - see if the "Concealment Principles" noted in this thread doesn't help clarify what I mean:

Maybe a wing-type addition would help?

Over the years, Raven Concealment Systems (RCS) has added various "wings" to their minimalist, trigger-guard shield type holsters (the "VG"-series). Depending on the construct of your current holster, you may be able to retrofit some type of "wing" to it, to help achieve that rotation.

The trick with athletic/leisure-wear is that it often lacks a sufficiently strong tensioning band around the waist that will allow for a "wing"-type leverage device to work properly (this is why I use the old Tuck-Strut: I needed a bit of leverage. but at a wider scale than what other "wings" allowed), but since you typically wear a belt, you may find that this could help you achieve the depth of concealment that you desire. :)

-----

PHLster also gave a full, in-depth presentation, here:

I'm a big guy, these holsters are great for all year carry, regardless of the season. You can use the holster with gym shorts, jeans, sweats, pretty much any kind of garment. The original holster, which is the model I always pick, rides low but not too low to pull your handgun if needed. The holster rides low enough to move with you if you sit, stand, drive, and doesn't poke into your stomach at all. I've bought one for just about all my EDC handguns over the last two years. They holsters are a bit pricey, but they have great retention and the leather breaks in quickly. I'd definitely recommend them.

Big guy here also. Unfortunately I’ve never had the motivation to push through the appendix learning curve. I do, however, live in Florida and feel your pain. A good thing about living here is the CC laws allow for accidental and/or brief displays. Unless the outline is so obvious and constant that it just screams gun, you really don’t have a problem.
Before my fat got fatter, my shirts were almost all 1 size too big.
I wear an XDM 3.8 Compact @3 o’clockish. It used to have a wing that helped pull the butt of the gun in. It broke. Too lazy to get another. I’ll just buy a new holster at some point 😅
Btw @phf have you read Florida Firearms Ownership and Usage 9th Edition?
2DE171FB-90B5-4B2F-8290-89FAB9E469D1.jpeg

Great graphic illustration, thanks.

* emphasis added.

To confirm, that's the backstrap and heel of the grip, correct?

If so, I think that more rotation is needed - see if the "Concealment Principles" noted in this thread doesn't help clarify what I mean:

Maybe a wing-type addition would help?

Over the years, Raven Concealment Systems (RCS) has added various "wings" to their minimalist, trigger-guard shield type holsters (the "VG"-series). Depending on the construct of your current holster, you may be able to retrofit some type of "wing" to it, to help achieve that rotation.

The trick with athletic/leisure-wear is that it often lacks a sufficiently strong tensioning band around the waist that will allow for a "wing"-type leverage device to work properly (this is why I use the old Tuck-Strut: I needed a bit of leverage. but at a wider scale than what other "wings" allowed), but since you typically wear a belt, you may find that this could help you achieve the depth of concealment that you desire. :)

-----

PHLster also gave a full, in-depth presentation, here:

Correct. Backstrap

Just an update, not that anyone asked, 3-o'clock and 4-o'clock do not work when seated in a truck for 12+ hours a day. Today I lasted 3 hours and had to remove it. I've been told you have to adjust your entire life to make IWB work. I'm not willing to endure that much pain. Morale of the story, you might have to go through A LOT of holsters before finding one that works. I was told the average guy tries 5 before finding one that works....we will see....I'm on 4 and not happy...

Just an update, not that anyone asked, 3-o'clock and 4-o'clock do not work when seated in a truck for 12+ hours a day. Today I lasted 3 hours and had to remove it. I've been told you have to adjust your entire life to make IWB work. I'm not willing to endure that much pain. Morale of the story, you might have to go through A LOT of holsters before finding one that works. I was told the average guy tries 5 before finding one that works....we will see....I'm on 4 and not happy...
I did a 12-hour trip to South Texas last summer, and that is about my limit with an AIWB holster. I found that IWB at 3 or 4-o'clock were less comfortable on long road trips. Definitely not good with back problems.

I am currently on holster #5, so far so good.

-and-

I did a 12-hour trip to South Texas last summer, and that is about my limit with an AIWB holster. I found that IWB at 3 or 4-o'clock were less comfortable on long road trips. Definitely not good with back problems.

I am currently on holster #5, so far so good.

I think a lot of this depends on the unique individual's anatomy and their subjective perception/"feel," and how that interacts not just with the unique gun (size and even accessories)/holster (not only physical parameters, but also its construct) combo, but also how that person "wears" the holstered weapon (which gets into specifics of clothing - everything from whether or not the individual wears an undershirt to how high they may wear their pants).

I'm not exactly svelte: as Homer Simpson would suggest, I'm a "portly gentleman." 6', 250-lbs. or so, my BMI is up there.....

1644419576484.png

I definitely haven't racked up continuous hours behind the wheel as @Jfal , but I've driven several 6 to 8-hour (continuous, only with quick pee/coffee/food breaks) trips in various "Import Sport Compacts" with my usual 2- to 2:30-ish IWB setup (full hardshell Kydex), with my EDC (XDm9 3.8 Compact w/Surefire XC-1), and have not "suffered discomfort."

There's just so many permutations to the equation - and that's before we factor in the subjectives. I don't think that any of us are any more wrong or less right than any other. :)

What really surprised me, for example, was a professional livery driver who preferred to carry small-of-back - a compromise of access that, for him, was necessary due to the fact that it was the only position in which he could comfortably carry for extended periods.

I think that the best that each of us can do is precisely what both of you have done, @Jfal and @David N. - try different setups and offer our unique assessments, in-detail, to those who are seeking advice, in the hopes that they can take those experiences and help distill-down their own choices/options and make good, informed decisions. (y)

-and-

I think a lot of this depends on the unique individual's anatomy and their subjective perception/"feel," and how that interacts not just with the unique gun (size and even accessories)/holster (not only physical parameters, but also its construct) combo, but also how that person "wears" the holstered weapon (which gets into specifics of clothing - everything from whether or not the individual wears an undershirt to how high they may wear their pants).

I'm not exactly svelte: as Homer Simpson would suggest, I'm a "portly gentleman." 6', 250-lbs. or so, my BMI is up there.....

View attachment 24707

I definitely haven't racked up continuous hours behind the wheel as @Jfal , but I've driven several 6 to 8-hour (continuous, only with quick pee/coffee/food breaks) trips in various "Import Sport Compacts" with my usual 2- to 2:30-ish IWB setup (full hardshell Kydex), with my EDC (XDm9 3.8 Compact w/Surefire XC-1), and have not "suffered discomfort."

There's just so many permutations to the equation - and that's before we factor in the subjectives. I don't think that any of us are any more wrong or less right than any other. :)

What really surprised me, for example, was a professional livery driver who preferred to carry small-of-back - a compromise of access that, for him, was necessary due to the fact that it was the only position in which he could comfortably carry for extended periods.

I think that the best that each of us can do is precisely what both of you have done, @Jfal and @David N. - try different setups and offer our unique assessments, in-detail, to those who are seeking advice, in the hopes that they can take those experiences and help distill-down their own choices/options and make good, informed decisions. (y)
You are 100% right with all said...IWB will not likely ever work for me driving 12 hours/day, and I won't make it work by putting up with the discomfort. A sidetone, my kydex holster after sitting against my body for 2-3 hours between stops sort of molded closed against my pistol (P365) and it was hell-of-a-pull to get the firearm to release. I wasn't expecting the body heat to soften the plastic enough to make it difficult to pull the firearm, but it did.

Back