testtest

Pet Peeves

My Glock 19X came with three. Springfield Armory SA35, only one.

Re pet peeves. I see this often on gun forums where a poster, usually a new person, asks a question about a firearm feature or a malfunction. Some wit (usually half) will inevitably reply "Send that thing to me for proper disposal." Maybe that was funny the first hundred times. Now it isn't. Please stop. You know who you are.
True , however some of us are poor and we are just trying to build our collection. 🤭

My Glock 19X came with three. Springfield Armory SA35, only one.

Re pet peeves. I see this often on gun forums where a poster, usually a new person, asks a question about a firearm feature or a malfunction. Some wit (usually half) will inevitably reply "Send that thing to me for proper disposal." Maybe that was funny the first hundred times. Now it isn't. Please stop. You know who you are.
Most human beings talk too much

I agree on LOTR—although I am one of those “no Tom Bombadil?!? WTF were you thinking?!?” folks. Yeah, they added in a lot on the whole Aragorn/Arwen thing, but for the most part are pretty much true to the story.

The Hobbit, however…the whole Tauriel/Legolas (FFS, Legolas isn’t in the book…) thing, the whole second movie bogs down in Dale…they added soooo much crap that’s not in the books, and it didn’t improve the movie at all.

Credit where credit is due—the bit were Gandalf is going to see about “the Necromancer” was something I’d always, even as a kid, wondered about, and was pretty neat to see it played out.

That said…my recovery watchlist is going to be the whole 6 movies (extended LOTR) in order, beginning with “unexpected journey”.

I’ll see if they improve on painkillers.

Yeah I agree about Tom Bombadil. They obviously couldn't put everything in there though and I thought they did a good job of it. I wasn't that thrilled with The Hobbit either. I think a lot of younger people read the books after watching the movies so it did turn on a new generation to Tolkien. No doubt I prefer the books.

A couple of good adaptations for me—Hunt for Red October and Amazon’s “Reacher”.

I can’t stand Lee Child’s writing style, but he does come up with a good plot, and I thought “Reacher” was one of those rare cases where the screen adaptation is better than the book.

The first two and a half seasons of “The Expanse” were also really solid adaptations of the first two books.
I like Expanse and I liked the Reacher series far better than the movies, although the movies weren't all that bad. They just didn't really follow the books even on the basic things. Tom Cruise is definitely not the right guy to play Jack Reacher. About a year ago I read about 15 of the books. I thought the same as you. I didn't care too much for the writing style, but I did keep reading them all so....

And mine.

But in actual fact almost all human beings talk too much.
I am so not going to say this right.

I have an old saying that I live by, "The longer you talk to a cop the more likely you are to say something he can use against you. When you do, he will."

That doesn't just apply to the police.

I think I've used this example before but when I was a supervisor for HSS I used to do New Hire training.

When I got to the part of the training that dealt with Firearms at work I would simply open the company handbook and read the section. I didn't add any editorial comment to it I didn't give my opinion. I just read what the handbook said.

The hand book was very simple, assuming you weren't working at an armed position Firearms were not permitted on company or client property not even in your vehicle without written authorization (which you were never going to get) from the CEO of HSS or the CEO of the client. The only exception was if they asked an armed guard to cover shift or part of a shift on an unarmed site. Then the armed guard could leave his handgun in his vehicle while he was doing the coverage.

Bottom line, if you weren't an armed guard working at an armed site no guns.

Every. Single. Time. I read that paragraph some idiot in the back of the room would announce to the entire class that they had a gun in their car right now.

And Every. Single. Time I use this example online somebody feels the need to tell me that in their state employers can't do that. OK. I don't care. In my state they can. I don't necessarily agree with it but it doesn't change the fact that they can.

And every time it happened I would tell them, in front of the entire class, that they were in violation of company policy and the next time it happened they would be terminated immediately.

The point I'm trying to make with this long-winded story is people talk more than they need to talk and they say things that they don't need to say and usually gets them into trouble or makes them look like an idiot.

Last edited:
And as far as movies adapted from books, The Hobbit Trilogy were some of the best.
Are you high? I will give you a pass if you're talking about the Ralph Bakshi animated film.

You can check out DVDs from our public libraries. I was considering buying The Hobbit on DVD so I had my wife check it out from the library so I could watch it before I decided. I'm pretty sure she could only get the second movie but the only thing I remember watching was when the dwarves escaped from Tharanduil(Elven King) in barrels. I mean they were floating down the river in the barrels standing up and fighting Orcs and I'm like "I don't know what this is but this is not The Hobbit". And I turned it off.

After we got streaming I decided I was going to try it again because I could watch it for free on HBO and I made it as far in the first movie as when they were fighting goblins on the trail in the Misty Mountains and again was thinking to myself "I don't know what I'm watching but this isn't The Hobbit."

I mean, who the hell is Peter Jackson to think he can improve on the original?

I agree on LOTR—although I am one of those “no Tom Bombadil?!? WTF were you thinking?!?” folks. Yeah, they added in a lot on the whole Aragorn/Arwen thing, but for the most part are pretty much true to the story.

The Hobbit, however…the whole Tauriel/Legolas (FFS, Legolas isn’t in the book…) thing, the whole second movie bogs down in Dale…they added soooo much crap that’s not in the books, and it didn’t improve the movie at all.

Credit where credit is due—the bit were Gandalf is going to see about “the Necromancer” was something I’d always, even as a kid, wondered about, and was pretty neat to see it played out.

That said…my recovery watchlist is going to be the whole 6 movies (extended LOTR) in order, beginning with “unexpected journey”.

I’ll see if they improve on painkillers.
I do kind of Miss Bombadil in the LoTR.

I even liked the super long four and a half hour extended director's cut. They did stay fairly true to the books but oh my God what they did to The Hobbit.

A couple of good adaptations for me—Hunt for Red October and Amazon’s “Reacher”.
Hunt For Red October was the only Tom Clancy movie they ever did that I liked. It would have been way better if Alec Baldwin wasn't in it.

I liked the adaption of Reacher on Prime the Tom Cruise movie, not so much. I actually went out and read the first Reacher novel based on the Amazon Prime adaption. I finished it but I'm not reading anymore Reacher.

Last edited:
Has it ever worked?
I cannot tell a lie. So I will say , not yet ,but you never know when it might. :)

Oh , for those who get bent out of shape so easily over certain comments ( yes I have made such comments and will probably do so again ) if I put such comment in a reply and you don't like it , I really don't give a (deuce).

Are you high? I will give you a pass if you're talking about the Ralph Bakshi animated film.

You can check out DVDs from our public libraries. I was considering buying The Hobbit on DVD so I had my wife check it out from the library so I could watch it before I decided. I'm pretty sure she could only get the second movie but the only thing I remember watching was when the dwarves escaped from Tharanduil(Elven King) in barrels. I mean they were floating down the river in the barrels standing up and fighting Orcs and I'm like "I don't know what this is but this is not The Hobbit". And I turned it off.

After we got streaming I decided I was going to try it again because I could watch it for free on HBO and I made it as far in the first movie as when they were fighting goblins on the trail in the Misty Mountains and again was thinking to myself "I don't know what I'm watching but this isn't The Hobbit."

I mean, who the hell is Peter Jackson to think he can improve on the original?

I do kind of Miss Bombadil in the LoTR.

I even liked the super long four and a half hour extended director's cut. They did stay fairly true to the books but oh my God what they did to The Hobbit.

Hunt For Red October was the only Tom Clancy movie they ever did that I liked. It would have been way better if Alec Baldwin wasn't in it.

I liked the adaption of Reacher on Prime the Tom Cruise movie, not so much. I actually went out and read the first Reacher novel based on the Amazon Prime adaption. I finished it but I'm not reading anymore Reacher.
LOTR trilogy was damn good. And yes, I have watched it while high.

Back